Vektrix: An Interesting New Mit-Licensed Flash Runtime

Firefox.
Hmm.. maybe its a background process.

EDIT: Nope, its Firefox. Must be some kinda glitch.

XPANSiVE said:
Firefox.
Hmm.. maybe its a background process.

EDIT: Nope, its Firefox. Must be some kinda glitch.
Actually, Firefox uses an interpreter of sorts, while Chrome has a fairly advanced compiler. I tested it and even against WebKit's SFX engine (which on my CPU is roughly 2.5 times faster than Gecko), it's so much faster it basically can't be measured. It's very likely that Firefox is taking up a lot of CPU for something like this where Chrome might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an example of what Javascript can do these days, it's astounding.

It's also an example of someone with far too much spare time. :)

Vektrix looks impressive too, though like the JS Flash runtime, it is also a first release. It doesn't work as a browser plug-in yet either.

borgqueenx said:
Ive tested that flash javascript thing on my iphone 3gs and i promise you dont wanna run it on pandora. It almost crashes my iphone.
All three demos worked fine here. I was impressed that Safari on the iPhone ran it so well.

slygamer said:
borgqueenx said:
Ive tested that flash javascript thing on my iphone 3gs and i promise you dont wanna run it on pandora. It almost crashes my iphone.
All three demos worked fine here. I was impressed that Safari on the iPhone ran it so well.
go scroll around or try to save the "image", zoom in and zoom out.
it displays well, but its close to crashing to make the flash appear.

well, the iphone is closed source isnt it?

run a proper webbrowser on it and try again, like chrome? or midori.

well whatever, im against any usage of java anyway.

except for maybe, Bluray java to use emulators on ps3, like the nes emu that worked for a while.

GizmoTheGreen said:

except for maybe, Bluray java to use emulators on ps3, like the nes emu that worked for a while.
...wait, what?
  1. It doesn't matter whether the iPhone is closed source or not for a Javascript thing to work
  2. You can only run one web browser on the iPhone for license reasons: a Safari-inspired one
  3. We haven't said anything about Java, not a single word
  4. What is Bluray Java?

Have I completely misunderstood this post or what?

GizmoTheGreen said:

Safari and its mobile counterpart are both based on WebKit which is completely free and subsequently also the fastest rendering engine you'll find in mainline browsers. It's also one of the most standard compliant browsers. Chrome is based on ooh~ you guessed it, WebKit, and midori is based on... hold for applause: WebKit! So quit your nonsensical ramblings.

Laurencevde said:
But webkit is only a html-engine/parser. You need to hook up you own javascript-engine.
no, WebCore is the HTML/CSS engine, JavaScriptCore (+ either SquirrelFishExtreme or V8) is the JS parser. Chromium/Chrome uses V8 as the only browser out of those listed and Midori, Safari, Epiphany, and a metric crap-ton of others use SFX.

Back