Vba Test Builds

pcklee123

Can someone try this and tell me how to improve it?

Edit
Changed it so it runs at default speed.
You can overclock by choosing in selector 275MHz or 250MHz or 233 MHz then running vba
Recompiled using -O2 -mcpu=arm9tdmi
It could have been crashing because of -O3 flag or default overclock was too high?

Edit
Made a small change to GB.cpp.
GBC roms should now work
Can someone please tell me if it works with GBC and GB roms?

Edit
Just realized it was not compiled with -static so would have been using whatever SDL libs which was installed on the GP2x will load one compiled with -static flag as soon as it compiles.

Make it work? :p It just sits at a red percentage sign, going up and down in numbers while hovering around 35%.

Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong? Any rom in particular to use? My system is OC'd to 275mhz and I have one unzipped rom in the roms/ directory (1458 - Mario Golf - Advance Tour). I've tried running it with both no options, and with --frameskip-9 --no-auto-frameskip (or similar thereto).

Any ideas?

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! I've got Egg Mania running at half-speed! VERY NICE! I guess that Mario Golf just didn't work... but this one does!

EDIT 2: The game froze after a few seconds of playing :(

EDIT 3: Super Ghouls and Ghosts exits soon too.

Yes it's Domm's port of VBA1.7.2 I recompiled it using oopo's toolchain with -O3 flag hoping that it runs faster. You have to be careful not to press X key as it's the exit key.
I put it with selector and cpuspeed so you can overclock and select roms easily.
What flags would be good to compile it with to get more speed? no O flag compiles really fast but runs at about 1/4 speed.
I really dont have the skill to modify it to use the second CPU or ASM. But I think that if it can work at half speed, it should be able to work full speed if you can use second CPU and make some more optimisations.The C_Core is known to be slower than the ASM core on a pc.

it seems like it's overclocking to 275 by default...? at least it is on mine. which is fine except the screen doesn't like it. i would assume that everyone's hardware is a little different and i'm willing to bet that not everyone can oc to 275. better to play it safe with the defaults.

hilarious, when you consider how many people bring up emulation of this system in the forum, and there's only 10 downloads, and it's been up for days.

Well it works pretty well, I could never get the other one to work.

It still is way to slow to play though even at 275mhz.

What it needs is a real dev to have a look at it. It may never run fullspeed but it could go close enough to be playable.
The code seems to do scaling in software. I suppose thats one thing which could be improved.

Real devs are looking into it :) Although it's more of a challenge on getting the processor working and playing with the MMU, than trying to get GBA emulation speeded up, although I suppose that comes as part of the package.

Any names, squidge? :p

Ive tested this version 2 days ago and today i even had the nerves to play a complete match in Advance Wars 2 (I won!), great progress on this emu :)
golden sun works, too, a little metal slug demo too, egg mania aussi.
16MB roms dont seem too work?! tested with Pokemon Ruby.

pcklee123 posted on Feb 15 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
Yes it's Domm's port of VBA1.7.2 I recompiled it using oopo's toolchain with -O3 flag hoping that it runs faster. You have to be careful not to press X key as it's the exit key.
I put it with selector and cpuspeed so you can overclock and select roms easily.
What flags would be good to compile it with to get more speed? no O flag compiles really fast but runs at about 1/4 speed.
I really dont have the skill to modify it to use the second CPU or ASM. But I think that if it can work at half speed, it should be able to work full speed if you can use second CPU and make some more optimisations.The C_Core is known to be slower than the ASM core on a pc.

So what this port is doing is running C code that emulates an ARM (among other things) and runs this ARM emulation on a ARM CPU? So the CPU is emulating itself through C? Wouldn't it be better if it ran ARM code natively?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfsclaw posted on Feb 21 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
Any names, squidge? :p

Ive tested this version 2 days ago and today i even had the nerves to play a complete match in Advance Wars 2 (I won!), great progress on this emu :)
golden sun works, too, a little metal slug demo too, egg mania aussi.
16MB roms dont seem too work?! tested with Pokemon Ruby.

I played the sapphire version on it just fine, your dump must be bad.

Edit
Just realized it was not compiled with -static so would have been using whatever SDL libs which was installed on the GP2x will load one compiled with -static flag as soon as it compiles.
[/quote]

New version this time compiled with -static libraries. But file size is so big I cant fit it with selector. You need to download vba2xc.zip as well as vba2xd.zip. just overwrite the files in c version with the d version.
Sound is on by default you have to turn it off by editing the cfg file.

Im confused :S, i get a screen with a file selector and when i press A and Y the (what i assume to be) command line options change. But how do you load a rom? I hit every button and nothing happened. Or am i making a fool of myself?

EDIT: Bah, its the white thing thats selected, not the yellow thing! Hate technology!

Are the two arms (Arm9 on the GP2x and Arm7 on the GBA) binary compatible? I've looked at the ARM site and I haven't been able to find a list of instructions so I'm a bit lost here.

TKF15H posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:24 PM said:
Are the two arms (Arm9 on the GP2x and Arm7 on the GBA) binary compatible? I've looked at the ARM site and I haven't been able to find a list of instructions so I'm a bit lost here.
Yep they are. See gpadvance for the GP32.

Back