Using Ftp On Pandora

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
so ideally I want to hook up my network hard drive. The drive has ftp and a samba server set up. I use both regularly on windows machines. Ive tried hooking up the samba share using
Code:
mount -t cifs //ipadres/ExterneHD /media/extrnehd
after opkg installing cifs and creating the mountpoint and changing the permissions with chmod.

This leads to an error (5) input/output error.

So next I tried to use ftp. But the pandora does not seem to have either ftpfs or the command ftp I see mentioned in most linux ftp tutorials

Did anybody manage to get FTP working and how. Or can somebody help me find a solution for the smb problem

oh and gigolo doesnt seem to do anything

edit: it does work in chromium but ideally I want to mount the drive

I noticed ftp in terminal wasn't doing anything and i thought it was just me, guess not. I would also like to use it, primarily for speed tests, or quick file transfers between my PC and Console without using a buggy gui.

So probably there some packages need to be installed to use ftp or ftpfs with mount. Can some linux savvy person tell us which packages that would be and how to install them.

(I have been looking into opkg and I can get some info out of it but not this yet, we're learning here people :D )

Bosbeetle said:
So probably there some packages need to be installed to use ftp or ftpfs with mount. Can some linux savvy person tell us which packages that would be and how to install them.

(I have been looking into opkg and I can get some info out of it but not this yet, we're learning here people :D )

I believe curlftpfs is installed. Should be able to do what you need.

Jurn

Last edited by a moderator:
JurnD said:
Bosbeetle said:

I believe curlftpfs is installed. Should be able to do what you need.

Jurn

thanks I will look into it

Yes curlftpfs is installed :D Now I can just do

Code:
curlftpfs ftp://user:pswd@ipadress/ /mountpoint

static.gif

will try it tonight :)

okay I got it mounted (had to do modprobe fuse) but now I got my permissions f'ed up

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 card
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 cf
d????????? ? ? ? ? ? externehd
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 hdd
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 mmc1
drwxrwxrwx 7 root root 32768 Jan 1 1970 mmcblk0p1
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 Jun 24 09:18 mmcblk1p1
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 net
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 40 Jun 30 18:30 ram
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 realroot
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 May 20 14:30 union

So here are a few question can someone please help me with an answer

1) How do I unmount an curlftpfs filesystem
2) How do I get permissions right? ( I tried -o uid=1000 (since apparently thats my uid)
3) How should I set it up in fstab, there is a noauto option there how do I activate it afterward just with mount -a)
4) What does "modprobe fuse" do?

Hi boys,

I got windows shared working here. I just install cifs, and added this to my fstab :

//nas/manue /home/shared cifs uid=1001,gid=1000,username=manue,password=******,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=0750,noauto 0 0

and then :
Code:
mount -a -t cifs

but this look to be equivalent to what you tried first. Weird. By the way my share is a samba and not a windows.

EDIT :

1) How do I unmount an curlftpfs filesystem
2) How do I get permissions right? ( I tried -o uid=1000 (since apparently thats my uid)
3) How should I set it up in fstab, there is a noauto option there how do I activate it afterward just with mount -a)
4) What does "modprobe fuse" do?
1) like any other : umount <mount point>
2) if uid option didn't work, I don't know
3) try to adapt from my cifs line
4) It load a kernel module name fuse (which allow user-space filesystem modules)

Thank you sebt for my samba share I get an error 5 in another forum I found that it might be due to an old samba server version or something else I dont know. What do the file_mode and dir_mode numbers stand for and how did you get them?

As for the answers to the questions

1) I tried unmount and I got unknown command :blink:
2) The uid=1000 yielded the same result so a lot of '?'
3) Can I break something by trying fstab stuff? (sorry I want to be carefull)
4) So to use the curlftpfs command I have to load this module ever session? Is there a way to load it on boot?

Thanks again

Bosbeetle said:
What do the file_mode and dir_mode numbers stand for and how did you get them?
As windows shared don't come with unix privilege system, they set right on directories and files. These options are cifs only.

Bosbeetle said:
1) I tried unmount and I got unknown command :blink:
there is no "N" in umount
Bosbeetle said:
2) The uid=1000 yielded the same result so a lot of '?'
I don't know "curlftpfs", but this look like a bug, but I may be wrong.

Bosbeetle said:
3) Can I break something by trying fstab stuff? (sorry I want to be carefull)
post your line here, I'll review. Don't mess with any pre-existing line there (you'll brick it... until reflash).
Bosbeetle said:
4) So to use the curlftpfs command I have to load this module ever session? Is there a way to load it on boot?
Code:
sudo su -c 'echo fuse >>/etc/modules'
that will append a line containing 'fuse' to the file. at boot time, this file is readed, amy line is considered as a module and the system try to load them.

Thank you very much, this is a nice way of learning more of linux :)

umount instead of unmount
frusty.gif

I will try your cifs line, and also try an curlftpfs line (I look around)
I can fiddle a bit more with curlftpfs options such as allow_other etc
Also should I put in the file_type and dir_type options if I want to mount cifs manually?

strangely enough just changing permission on the mount directory before mounting did the trick. However this is after hotfix3

for others just to know what I did

sudo mkdir /media/externehd
sudo chmod a=rwx /media/externehd
sudo modprobe fuse (i did put fuse in /etc/modules but didnt restart yet)
curlftp ftp://user:pass@ipadres/ /media/externehd

and it just worked :)

will look into fstab next :)

Back