Usb Wifi Stuff

battery

Still Fresh
Hello one and all! I am a nub who is in the process of making a usb adapter for my gp2x f200. The only part that bothers me now is which wifi usb stick to get. Any suggestions?

Buy the Nintendo WiFi adapter for the wii/ds, it says 'powered by buffalo' on it, and it will work with the packages that are already in the archive here. I've been using it, and it works fine, got it for 30 bucks from fred meyers.

could you give me a link to the nintendo wifi usb adapter?

also, would the Netgear WG111 USB Adapter work with the gp2x f200?

to be honest i just want something cheap that works pretty well. ebay is most likely going to be my source for the usb adapter so feel free to post ebay links for cheap usb wifi adapters..

Since this is a thread about WiFi I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) What is involved in getting a USB to be plugged in my GP2X F200.
2) What is the software needed (link if possible).

Sorry for the (sort of) hijack.

Didn't want to make another thread about it.

JakeK said:

1) First you're gonna have to get a samsung E810 usb or serial cable from wherever. If you plan to make only a usb adapter then I'd suggest going with the usb cable as it is cheaper.. but if you (like me) are planing to add tv out to your adapter you need the serial cable because it has all 24 pins, while the usb cable (i think) only has the four associated with usb. In any case you may have to change the grooves in the plastic of the sammy e810 mating connector so it'll fit into the EXT port. Then, open the E810 connector and, using:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic and http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SamsungE810Cable
solder some wires to the appropriate pins - solder those wires the the appropriate component (ie female usb port) and viola! You have your adapter.

2) I'm kinda new to the gp2x f200, but I've heard it acts as a usb host without any extra software. If you wanna hook up a wifi usb adapter then i think you need extra software - which can be found at:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/WirelessUSBTutorial

what i plan to make is a small adapter that you slap on the bottom of the gp2x. it will have composite video out (all female ports) and most likely two usb 2.0 ports (which I'll get from ripping open a small usb hub.. because i don't want to make my own usb hub..). It will be powered by one 9v battery that will be converted to 5V through the regulator seen at: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic

Last edited by a moderator:
The wireless tutorial seems to be for the F-100. Since the F-200 has host mode on it, do we just use the software from that wiki page without all the hardware mods? Do we need the cradle ?

I don't want to start dremeling my case... but I also don't want a complete hip pack like that wiki screenshot shows.

DssTrainer said:
The wireless tutorial seems to be for the F-100. Since the F-200 has host mode on it, do we just use the software from that wiki page without all the hardware mods? Do we need the cradle ?

I don't want to start dremeling my case... but I also don't want a complete hip pack like that wiki screenshot shows.

you need some sort of adapter - it doesnt have to be the official cradle. I'm making my own adapter. I'll post some pics of it later when I begin to work on it. Right now I'm gathering material for it. The hip thing btw is a battery powered usb hub. The gp2x can give you one unpowered usb port by itself (which is where the batteries and hub fit it - huray for redundant statements!). As I said before, I'll try to use a 9V - don't know how long it'll last though.. You could use the 3.3V from the gp2x but that'd drain your batteries

you want want to start doing what to your case? I'm guessing you mean messing with your case, and it's not necessary to mod your case.

battery said:
DssTrainer said:

you need some sort of adapter - it doesnt have to be the official cradle. I'm making my own adapter. I'll post some pics of it later when I begin to work on it. Right now I'm gathering material for it. The hip thing btw is a battery powered usb hub. The gp2x can give you one unpowered usb port by itself (which is where the batteries and hub fit it - huray for redundant statements!). As I said before, I'll try to use a 9V - don't know how long it'll last though.. You could use the 3.3V from the gp2x but that'd drain your batteries

you want want to start doing what to your case? I'm guessing you mean messing with your case, and it's not necessary to mod your case.

Lol Dremeling... Using a Dremel (popular hand drill/sander) to cut holes in the case of the GP2x. :p

Thx for the info.

I've been doing some more reading and the pin out on the ext port shows 4 pins for usb - which means two ports: one host and one device port. However I'm not really sure how to configure the device port to act as a host port - or if it'll do that automatically. Also I've shifted from using a 9V battery to 4 double A batteries as the 9V would crap out in an hour or two. So my slap on adapter is going to be a bit bigger than I first thought. Which is sorta helpful in the sense that I'll have more room to run the wires and components. I still don't know which wifi usb adapter to go with. I'd like a cheapo one from ebay but I don't know which are compatible! I found a list of them a few days ago but lost it :[

Ok I've been doing some more reading and I'm now even more confused..

The obvious: I wanna plug a usb wifi card into my gp2x f200.

Further information: I'm currently running Windows XP

The question: can I use any wifi card for the gp2x f200 or does it have to be a wifi carf that works with linux???

battery said:
JakeK said:

1) First you're gonna have to get a samsung E810 usb or serial cable from wherever. If you plan to make only a usb adapter then I'd suggest going with the usb cable as it is cheaper.. but if you (like me) are planing to add tv out to your adapter you need the serial cable because it has all 24 pins, while the usb cable (i think) only has the four associated with usb. In any case you may have to change the grooves in the plastic of the sammy e810 mating connector so it'll fit into the EXT port. Then, open the E810 connector and, using:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic and http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SamsungE810Cable
solder some wires to the appropriate pins - solder those wires the the appropriate component (ie female usb port) and viola! You have your adapter.

2) I'm kinda new to the gp2x f200, but I've heard it acts as a usb host without any extra software. If you wanna hook up a wifi usb adapter then i think you need extra software - which can be found at:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/WirelessUSBTutorial

what i plan to make is a small adapter that you slap on the bottom of the gp2x. it will have composite video out (all female ports) and most likely two usb 2.0 ports (which I'll get from ripping open a small usb hub.. because i don't want to make my own usb hub..). It will be powered by one 9v battery that will be converted to 5V through the regulator seen at: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic

Cheers for the info.

I just have a few easy question/s.

With the WiFi USB stick, can it be connected to the F200 without a battery pack? (furthermore what is the battery pack for?) I realise that power for the USB would be drawn from the F200 but is it that much that it would make the F200 useless out an about?

Oh and my assumption would be that the card has to be Linux compatible only, pretty sure the F200 would not know what to do with the card if it were a windows product without drivers.

JakeK said:
Cheers for the info.

With the WiFi USB stick, can it be connected to the F200 without a battery pack? (furthermore what is the battery pack for?) I realise that power for the USB would be drawn from the F200 but is it that much that it would make the F200 useless out an about?

Oh and my assumption would be that the card has to be Linux compatible only, pretty sure the F200 would not know what to do with the card if it were a windows product without drivers.
The gp2x doesn't supply power to the usb ports - so nothing will work without a battery pack.
The gp2x has a +3.3V pin not meant for usb - but usb devices require a 5V source.

Your assumption about the card is correct. Without the drivers the gp2x wouldn't know what to do with the usb device.

battery said:
JakeK said:
Cheers for the info.

The gp2x doesn't supply power to the usb ports - so nothing will work without a battery pack.
The gp2x has a +3.3V pin not meant for usb - but usb devices require a 5V source.

Your assumption about the card is correct. Without the drivers the gp2x wouldn't know what to do with the usb device.

At least I got one thing right :p.

When I get some time (which won't be for a while) I think I'll try and make a neat little package for the battery and WiFi USB stick so that it doesn't look so bulky like what I've seen.

I ordered a E810 serial cable - soon as I get it I'll (gently) tear it open and begin carefully soldering 13 cables to pins 1-13. 1-8 are for TV out, 9-13 are for the usb ports. All the wires will be housed safely in... electrical tape :] - till I make a real plastic case for the adapter.. which'll probably take longer than constructing the actual adapter. I'll probably just run out and buy a cheap case with the approximate size and cut some holes in it for the ports :p

Back