Usb Monitors?

We had a couple of threads about those USB video out solutions.

Bottomline: Drivers would be problematical to get for linux, furthermore those things require the screen content to be encoded in realtime, so it would be questionable if we would get more than 5fps out of them anyway.

I don't understand these products. Under what circumstances are they actually ideal? They only make sense with non-desktops, which generally have cpus too slow for it to be practical... usb itself isn't fast enough either, and it's not like you're going to be carrying around an external monitor on the move anyway.

tazg said:
I don't understand these products. Under what circumstances are they actually ideal? They only make sense with non-desktops, which generally have cpus too slow for it to be practical... usb itself isn't fast enough either, and it's not like you're going to be carrying around an external monitor on the move anyway.
Might be handy if you needed to drive a number of signs, or public displays or something. Or perhaps you could use it to display a slide show on a projector.

But I'll bet most of them are bought by people who don't realize how limited they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back