Usb Keyboard With Pandora

kev187

Hey this may be a dumb or easily researched question.. but...

With my pandora when I get it (I am in the 1st batch)

Can I plug in a simple USB keyboard to use vs. the keypad? I am going to use the net browser for around the house & would be nice to have a small usb keyboard to use for email and such vs. the keypad.

Not too familiar with linux, but would I need drivers like windows, or would it just work like a mac :)

Gruso nailed that one _good_, and totally true; I have a usb keyb and it works perfectly well on a hub, and a total nightmare without :) For dev since I have a bre panda only (no keyboard or anything), I keep a usb mouse and keyb jacked in (and I also use a serial console of course, for a lot of things.)

jeff

I being a mac user

The apple keyboards are USB 2.0

So thats good. I can get one of the mini apple keyboards for it to use upstairs and I can leave my laptop at my work space in the basement & goof on the pandora upstairs (when I am not running emulation on it that is)

I am very excited about this project!

kevin J said:
Not too familiar with linux, but would I need drivers like windows, or would it just work like a mac :)

*struggles violently against instincts*
It's not a dumb question at all. I can understand that some people do not care about technical details like I do, and I will tell you what you need to know:

USB keyboards and mice mostly all follow the USB Human Interface Device standard, which means they work perfectly with Windows, Linux, and Mac with the default drivers. In fact, you don't need to install keyboard drivers in Windows unless your keyboard makes coffee or runs macros or something special.

However, what other people said about USB 2.0 keybaords also applies. The thing is, most USB ports work with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0. The Pandora only uses 2.0 for some reason, so a keyboard will need to either be 2.0 itself or run through a 2.0 USB hub or adapter of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

I am sure they used just a usb 2.0 controller for cost & simplicity.

There are more usb 2.0 keyboards out there, as some are offereing usb 2.0 hub ports on the keyboard.

Apples mini keyboards are not cheap, but they are 100% usb 2.0. I am sure cheaper alternatives can be found online :)

I liked the newer video showing firefox running. I wonder if there can be any type of email/outlook type program?

Going to be a fun device!

kevin J said:
I wonder if there can be any type of email/outlook type program?
Yeah, I think there's two or three of those for Linux, Evolution and Thunderbird, and at least Thunderbird also has Windows and Mac versions if you want to try it out there first.

It's in the same suite as Firefox, which means it does everything and consumes ridiculous amounts of memory while taking fucking forever to do anything, and I don't expect to ever use it.
Damn, I hate Firefox. :-||

Anyway, there will be e-mail programs, but I can't say what kind because I never use e-mail programs. The idea baffles me. I just use web mail.

Gruso said:
Xian Long said:
thread over.
Almost. ;)

The answer is yes, with some caveats. You won't be able to plug a keyboard straight into the main USB port unless it's a certified High Speed (USB 2.0) keyboard (which most aren't). Full details here: http://pandorawiki.org/USB

Any questions, ask back here. :)
Ah crap, so it's going to be hit or miss on keyboards. I'm glad someone asked.

I think it might just be easier to use a blutooth keyboard at this point if that is the case. I'm not sure powering a keyboard though USB or using blutooth would use more battery power for the Pandora, anyone know off hand?

kevin J said:
I being a mac user

So thats good. I can get one of the mini apple keyboards for it to use upstairs and I can leave my laptop at my work space in the basement & goof on the pandora upstairs (when I am not running emulation on it that is)

Wait, are you sure? If they are USB 2.0 then why when they are plugged into an iMac the two ports on the back of they keyboard only register as USB 1.1?

second exodous said:
kevin J said:
I being a mac user

Wait, are you sure? If they are USB 2.0 then why when they are plugged into an iMac the two ports on the back of they keyboard only register as USB 1.1?

The newer apple keyboards include two USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard, I use them for my digital camera. Check it out here http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB869LL/A

They are expensive, but I imagine if Apple has it, others must make one.

Would it be hard to sync a bluetooth keyboard? I cannot imagine a keyboard to draw much current or effect the batterly life of the pandora?

Actually, I think MWeston did a test and found that USB keyboards use quite a bit of power. The Pandora could put it out, but desktop keyboards aren't built for efficiency, and it would drain the battery noticeably.

I think Bluetooth would give you a longer battery life. The power needed to transmit Bluetooth is probably less than the power needed for the keyboard's controller.

@kevin J: The only thing to watch out for with apple input devices are that they require some special attention in Linux to make them work properly. Some distros provide good detection and support of Apple input devices, others don't. I suspect that Angstrom probably doesn't, as they probably don't run into this situation too often, and as a result it may require some manual fixing on your part to get the keyboard working like you expect. If you're considering buying a bluetooth keyboard, I would suggest this, I have one and it works well on the n800, and shouldn't have any issues with the Pandora.

If you're really set on using an apple device, it'll work, but you might get frustrated at things like option, or control-click not working like you expect.

lulzfish said:
Actually, I think MWeston did a test and found that USB keyboards use quite a bit of power. The Pandora could put it out, but desktop keyboards aren't built for efficiency, and it would drain the battery noticeably.

I think Bluetooth would give you a longer battery life. The power needed to transmit Bluetooth is probably less than the power needed for the keyboard's controller.
I was thinking about it and this would be better anyway, they make some nice smaller keyboards that use blutooth, and on top of that there wouldn't be any wires.

second exodous said:
lulzfish said:

I was thinking about it and this would be better anyway, they make some nice smaller keyboards that use blutooth, and on top of that there wouldn't be any wires.

Thanks for the information. I can always try my existing apple keyboard 1st before buying another. I am not set on using apple, I just knew they had a USB 2.0 keyboard.

If the Pandora can use a bluetooth keyboard, that opens up a lot of options also. Guess once we all finally get ours, more posts of what works will pop up!

lulzfish said:
My Sierra BT keyboard works fine with my N800, and doesn't drain the N800's battery. The keyboard itself runs on two AAA batteries - or was it just one - I've not had to replace it/them yet and it's been so long that I've forgotten.

Did the company that makes the iGo Stowaway blue-tooth keyboard go out of business? I'm seeing lots of positive video reveiws about it but can't find it new, just through auction sites. Is this the keyboard you're talking about Tor?

It's funny watching videos on keyboard reviews because you realize just how many people are still hunt and peck. Reviews from high school age kids also, what are schools teaching if not typing? They definitely aren't teaching math or science.

I believe iGo (formerly Think Outside?) has switched the focus of their business to mainly power-supplying devices. Both of the folding keyboards they've offered in the past don't even appear to be supported on their site anymore.

I found this one during my searches; it might be a good match for Pandora, but it's pricey. http://www.freedominput.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=19&category_id=6

-Tj- said:
I believe iGo (formerly Think Outside?) has switched the focus of their business to mainly power-supplying devices. Both of the folding keyboards they've offered in the past don't even appear to be supported on their site anymore.

I found this one during my searches; it might be a good match for Pandora, but it's pricey. http://www.freedominput.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=19&category_id=6
Oh man, that iGo keyboard was kinda cool, too bad it's not made anymore. I looked at the Freedom Universal Keyboard² but you can't tell if those are full size keys from the photo.

Someone needs to make a keyboard with the same key configuration of the iGo folding one but make it with the rubber design. I didn't see this one, but I've seen cheaper versions that had a pretty good tactile response and rolled up pretty small. I couldn't find one with out the Function key row and the number pad. The iGo even does away with the top number row, if you got rid of these keys and made a rubber keyboard that would role up extremely small.

-Tj- said:
I found this one during my searches
I found this a while back.

I was more amused by the mistitling than I was informed about the product, though. :lol:

Back