Usb Gps Receiver Advice?

gmhuntr7

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I remember seeing some talk about gps software being made for the pandora, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good usb gps receiver that isn't too expensive? I don't think I need something top of the line but I'd at least like to see something that works decently while in a car or elsewhere.

Once I get 2 16GB sdhcs and a compatible usb gps receiver I'm all set to welcome my Pandora!

If I were you I'd wait until said software becomes available so you can be sure you get a receiver that's compatible

gmhuntr7 said:
I remember seeing some talk about gps software being made for the pandora, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good usb gps receiver that isn't too expensive? I don't think I need something top of the line but I'd at least like to see something that works decently while in a car or elsewhere.

Once I get 2 16GB sdhcs and a compatible usb gps receiver I'm all set to welcome my Pandora!
Well, any gps receiver with a SIRF III is going to get a good signal. As far as i know, its one of the best out there. Got the older SIRF II for years, and never had any problems with it. And the SIRF III is a major improvement compared to the old II.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benjiro said:
gmhuntr7 said:

Well, any gps receiver with a SIRF III is going to get a good signal. As far as i know, its one of the best out there. Got the older SIRF II for years, and never had any problems with it. And the SIRF III is a major improvement compared to the old II.

The problem is that one must find a GPS receiver that uses USB High Speed, or one that uses less than 100 mA to work with one or the other of the Pandora's USB ports. So far I have not identified any that fit this criteria. Alternatively one must haul around a high speed USB hub.

I've got a little Holux hockey puck (I don't think Amazon has them listed anymore). It's a SirfStar III, works fine with Linux (just modprobe the pl2303 module), was quite cheap (some 30-40 USD, IIRC), and works with USB OTG ports (on the Zaurus, at any rate).

In other words, I highly recommend that chipset. You can see my question here:

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...15&start=15

DAP said:
The problem is that one must find a GPS receiver that uses USB High Speed, or one that uses less than 100 mA to work with one or the other of the Pandora's USB ports. So far I have not identified any that fit this criteria. Alternatively one must haul around a high speed USB hub.
In that case, get a bluetooth receiver! I recommend the Qstarz BT-Q890. It uses a very new MTK chip that beats the SiRFIII. I've used both - no big difference outside, but I notice a pronounced improvement when acquiring and tracking in buildings. The higher sensitivity does leave it victim to slightly more multipathing, but it's never gone out of acceptable margins for me.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could always use the free UART on your Panda (at least, I think it had a free one at one point) to host a GPS chip inside the case. At least every USB/bluetooth receiver I've seen uses a *->serial bridge.

Or get an external connector plug and a common serial GPS(I think TTL-level is needed) with pinout documentation and solder the plug yourself.

phrosty said:
In that case, get a bluetooth receiver! I recommend the Qstarz BT-Q890. It uses a very new MTK chip that beats the SiRFIII. I've used both - no big difference outside, but I notice a pronounced improvement when acquiring and tracking in buildings. The higher sensitivity does leave it victim to slightly more multipathing, but it's never gone out of acceptable margins for me.

This is very relevant to my interests...

I am unfortunately fairly uneducated with Linux (but am eager to learn), how hard will it be to get this bluetooth gps receiver to work with the Pandora?
And program wise, what would be the best choice?
I've never had a gps device before. Are there gps programs that are available to download, and then can be used with the gps (once connected via bluetooth)?
Or would I need to buy a program to use it with?
Or what?

I'm so desperate to have it working but I don't know where to start! :unsure:

I've used it on Debian just fine. There are a few good GPS apps for Linux. None of them will plot directions for you, but you can get pretty accurate street data with OpenStreetMap.

phrosty said:
I've used it on Debian just fine. There are a few good GPS apps for Linux. None of them will plot directions for you, but you can get pretty accurate street data with OpenStreetMap.

And TangoGPS is a great app to use said data. It has no funny deps either, so it should be a simple recompile.

Thanks a lot guys, I have been inspired with more confidence.
TangoGPS looks great! I can't wait. :D

Whenever people ask about USB GPS (or, shudder, SDIO GPS), I always reply: Go Bluetooth GPS. It's just much better.

Get one with either the SiRF star III chipset or the MTK chipset. Then look for size, sturdiness and battery capacity.

Back