Usb Drivers

mattbakse

Namer of the New GP2X
Website
Visit site
Ok so i decided to format my SMC and because i formated my computer many times since the last format of my SMC i don't have the USB Drivers and so when i tried to go into GP Manager, to set the SMC up properly, after "installing" the drivers it still says to plug into PC-Link mode. I instlled the drivers to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers" and i'm running Windows XP. it's just this time it doens't feel like working and i don't get ow to get it to work.

You shouldn't need to move the drivers to windows/drivers folder, they install themselves(maybe a right click).

You might need the newer drivers than are on the cd, at www.gp32x.de or www.gp32eu.com

Also, there is a new pc manager available.

I always start the pcmanager, then connect the gp32 and turn it on, then hit pc link, then hit ok on the "pc-link" check message, and it works for me.

Good luck

mth411 posted on Apr 20 2005 at 07:01 PM said:
You might need the newer drivers than are on the cd, at www.gp32x.de or www.gp32eu.com

I never got a cd i got the ASR FLU pack a few years ago and i just use the ones to download and also with right clicking and installing it doesn't seem to work either. unless windows is gonna be anal and make me restart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Firefly's replacement USB drivers, they seem to work a lot better than the official ones.

When I used Windows (uck!), I tried Firefly's drivers. The connection was broken all the time, so I switched back to the original ones...
Once you get it to work; use Phodrive...

trooper posted on Apr 21 2005 at 09:32 AM said:
mattbakse posted on Apr 21 2005 at 05:09 PM said:
nope still didn't work :(

Why are people still not using a card reader ?. :blink:

Trooper

I have a card reader but don't you need to have the SMC have special stuff on it for the gp32 to recognize it. I don't remember it's been a long time since i did that.

mattbakse posted on Apr 21 2005 at 08:08 PM said:
trooper posted on Apr 21 2005 at 09:32 AM said:
mattbakse posted on Apr 21 2005 at 05:09 PM said:
nope still didn't work :(

Why are people still not using a card reader ?. :blink:

Trooper

I have a card reader but don't you need to have the SMC have special stuff on it for the gp32 to recognize it. I don't remember it's been a long time since i did that.

Only the folder structure (gpmm, mp3, game etc) and a few pieces of software that need to be installed rather that just copied, Such as downloaded games bought from entaware or gamepark.

Other than that, A card reader is all you really need.

Btw: Don`t format your smc`s via the card reader unless you are using windows 98/95, The GP will not be able to use them, Format via slubman`s commander if you really need to.

Trooper

Phodrive/GpDrive don't require any usb drivers from gamepark, they use the mass storage drivers built into windows.

Talyz posted on Apr 21 2005 at 06:33 PM said:
When I used Windows (uck!), I tried Firefly's drivers. The connection was broken all the time, so I switched back to the original ones...
Once you get it to work; use Phodrive...

... ok so i am getting pissed... i just got my usb drivers to work but now whenever i go into gp32 manager it gives me the error "an error in GP32 during process" (helpfull ain't it?), i know i accedently formatted with my card reader, so i'm confused and upset, all i want is my old gp32 back :(

Since you have a card reader, the easiest way to fix the problem is to format the card using the card reader and SMCrecover (get it from Ratx's site here)...

Without a card reader, you would be screwed. You'd have to get another smc, then you could use that with Slubman commander to format the other, or you'd have to get a card reader. It happened to me.

A nice way of saying RTFM:
The Readme File said:
Here is a 128M SMC image inc gpdrive, a dd binary and a batch file.

The batch file is useless until you edit it ( right click and select edit )
and unhash the actual dd line, the reason for this is that my cardreader is
drive F: yours may well not be and I don't want people dding a SMC image onto
hardrives etc.

So if you're happy F: is right for you remove the "#" at the start of the line
and run "go.bat" otherwise change the f: in the of= section to be the right
drive letter.

Note: the dd takes a while, much much longer than formatting normally, you can
probally make it faster by incrementing the 2048 value but YMMV.

ratx_AT_l33t_spod_org

I have updated the package with a batch file that prompts you to select a drive, should be a little easier to use. I'm still worried that people might end up DD drives into non workingness but *shrug* there are enough warnings I guess ;)

http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/gp32/smcrecover/

If people with 64/32/16M SMCS want to be supported by this please PM me and I'll explain how to take a dump of your SMC to be included...

that's good and all, but my SMC drive is 'I' and that only goes up to 'G'

Edit:
Nevermind i forgot you could change the drive letter and changed it :p

Back