Usb Connection

zanven

Still Fresh
I just bought my GP2X Wiz so I'm n00b.

The USB cord seems to be charging fine but how do I connect it to my pc?
The manual says that you need to select whether you are trying to access internal or SD card memory but I don't know if I need to find this menu or it comes up automatically.

If it is the former then I don't know where to find it.
If it is the latter then it isn't working.

What do I do? thanks in advance.

you have to boot up the wiz and go to options and select usb mode. you should then get the option for nand or sd card.

zanven said:
I just bought my GP2X Wiz so I'm n00b.

The USB cord seems to be charging fine but how do I connect it to my pc?
The manual says that you need to select whether you are trying to access internal or SD card memory but I don't know if I need to find this menu or it comes up automatically.

If it is the former then I don't know where to find it.
If it is the latter then it isn't working.

What do I do? thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Turn on computer (if you haven't already).
  2. Connect Wiz to computer via USB cable.
  3. Turn on Wiz.
  4. A menu will pop up automatically on the Wiz asking whether you want to access the NAND (built-in storage) or SD (memory card) via USB.
You can actually do steps 2 & 3 in either order, although you may need to leave the Wiz at the main menu.

LTStone said:
you have to boot up the wiz and go to options and select usb mode. you should then get the option for nand or sd card.
by "boot up" you mean turn it on? There is "Settings" not "Options" and no usb mode option.

HunterZ said:
  1. Turn on computer (if you haven't already).
  2. Connect Wiz to computer via USB cable.
  3. Turn on Wiz.
  4. A menu will pop up automatically on the Wiz asking whether you want to access the NAND (built-in storage) or SD (memory card) via USB.
You can actually do steps 2 & 3 in either order, although you may need to leave the Wiz at the main menu.

I have done all this with no result. The menu does not pop up automatically. (tried plugging in to computer with wiz already on and turning on after plugging in)

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what I should do about this problem

What OS are you running on your PC? If it's Windows, does connecting your Wiz cause Windows to play the system sound to notify you that a USB device has been connected? (try unplugging your mouse and plugging it back in if you're not sure what I mean)

HunterZ said:
What OS are you running on your PC? If it's Windows, does connecting your Wiz cause Windows to play the system sound to notify you that a USB device has been connected? (try unplugging your mouse and plugging it back in if you're not sure what I mean)
I'm running Windows 7 (also running Linux on another HDD if that is relevant) but no sound. The only indication I have that the USB is indeed plugged in is that the Wiz charging LED comes on. Nothing happens on Linux either. my USB ports work fine. I'm beginning to think I either have a faulty cord (though it does charge it) or a faulty system being that it doesn't trigger that it is plugged in.

Maybe I should try installing the latest firmware (if you can do that through SD card as that works) if that doesn't work maybe I should start looking into an exchange. comments?

thanks for the help. I'll let you know how the firmware goes

[VERSION 1.2.6
FIRMWARE Linux 2.6.24 Revision: 359]

This does sound like a cable or port issue.

Can you post the results of an "lssub" under Linux? (if the command doesn't work try it as root or 'sudo lssub' and use your user password)

There is an option in the settings menu that says USB Host On|Off. what is yours set to? I tried both and it didnt' seem to matter under either OS.

Only had my Wiz a day, but I was able to get this working under both windows and linux fairly simply.

zanven said:
Re-installed firmware. no change

ice weazel said:
Can you post the results of an "lssub" under Linux? (if the command doesn't work try it as root or 'sudo lssub' and use your user password)

There is an option in the settings menu that says USB Host On|Off. what is yours set to? I tried both and it didnt' seem to matter under either OS.
USB Host On|Off option didn't do anything. I think that has to do with usb networking but not sure.

there was no command lssub but if you meant command lsusb it returned:
terminal lsusb results said:
Bus 009 Device 002: ID 041e:0400 Creative Technology, Ltd
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 1532:010b Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1532:0015 Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 4971:ce17 SimpleTech 1TB SimpleDrive II USB External Hard Drive
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0151 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device (Multicard Reader)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I hear people have problems with the ones purchased from Think Geek (which is where I got mine) but I think I might try to just exchange it and see if getting a new unit helps.
I'll wait to hear back from this board before doing that though

yes, lsusb. That's what I get for typing too fast. :-/

Can't say much about the Thinkgeek models (I'll have to read about those as I got mine new from a secondhand store),
Looking more and more like cable or unit has an issue. I'd start with the cable, but a full return might not hurt.

Mine shows this from lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0525:a4a5 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB File Storage Gadget

lsusb -v with the NAND flash attached (A)

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0525:a4a5 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB File Storage Gadget
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0525 Netchip Technology, Inc.
idProduct 0xa4a5 Linux-USB File Storage Gadget
bcdDevice 3.22
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 3
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 32
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 4
bmAttributes 0xc0
Self Powered
MaxPower 2mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 5
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 1
can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

zanven said:
ice weazel said:

USB Host On|Off option didn't do anything. I think that has to do with usb networking but not sure.

there was no command lssub but if you meant command lsusb it returned:
terminal lsusb results said:
Bus 009 Device 002: ID 041e:0400 Creative Technology, Ltd
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 1532:010b Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1532:0015 Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 4971:ce17 SimpleTech 1TB SimpleDrive II USB External Hard Drive
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0151 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device (Multicard Reader)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I hear people have problems with the ones purchased from Think Geek (which is where I got mine) but I think I might try to just exchange it and see if getting a new unit helps.
I'll wait to hear back from this board before doing that though

There have been issues with the Wiz cable in the beginning. But i think it was a long time ago since we heard of any problems. USB host is used for the Wiz' own USB "port" so is not important in this regard. If your lsusb does not add any new line when you connect the wiz, then i am going to guess cable. As i understand it, thinkgeek are quick at replacing faulty units, so it is probably safest to return the whole thing (or open the cable and see if it looks alright).

/Uni

USB Host should probably be off, but I don't know if it matters.

You might try jiggling the cable at either end while plugged in.

Also, make sure you're plugging it into a port directly on your computer and not on a hub.

Just to update. I did send it in for a new one. This one works fine so it was an issue with the old unit.

Back