Usb Connected Does Not Close After Transfering

delrina

Still Fresh
I just bought GP2X-F100. Everything is ok except one thing.
Sometimes, after completing file transfer from host PC to GP2X's SD-Card, I press button "X" to disconnect.

The window at host PC, which shows remote SD-Card closes but the screen "USB Connected" at GP2X hang.
I tried to Ctrl+C at Hyper Terminal but it does not work. My GP2X is totally frozen.

Any suggestion to fix this problem.

Many thanks,

DC,

You may need to explicitly tell windows to unmount the usb drive, I think it's called "safely remove device" on one of the icons in the system tray. This will probably be more reliable than just unplugging. I know in linux sometimes the writes to a usb device don't actually occur until you unmount it so results are a little unpredictable.

Good luck
Charlie

I can confirm that Linux doesnt do writing to the file system until you do eject or safely remove mass storage device as it is called in windows. I had a large number of problems with this until I started unmounting it before removing it. When I press X now it does disconnects almost instantly

I can confirm that Linux doesnt do writing to the file system until you do eject or safely remove mass storage device as it is called in windows. I had a large number of problems with this until I started unmounting it before removing it. When I press X now it does disconnects almost instantly
I do not belive that the linux on the 2x is the os writing to the sd, windows (if windows is your computer os) is the one that writes to the sd when using the 2x as a card reader.

Now there are two settings for storage devices in windows, one optimizes for fast removal, one for better preformance.
The first setting is what most removeble devices use and cause no problems since the information is written directly to the sd, this also eliminates the need for the safe removal thing.

The second, can however cause problems when pressing the "x" button to terminate the usb connection since windows probably haven't "finished" doing what it was doing.
So when using this setting you need to tell windows (by the safe removal thing) that you have finnished with the device and wish to remove it.

Normaly windows chose the correct option, however since there have been problems with the drivers, it's possible that windows somehow confused the sd for something more permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not belive that the linux on the 2x is the os writing to the sd, windows (if windows is your computer os) is the one that writes to the sd when using the 2x as a card reader.

Now there are two settings for storage devices in windows, one optimizes for fast removal, one for better preformance.
The first setting is what most removeble devices use and cause no problems since the information is written directly to the sd, this also eliminates the need for the safe removal thing.

The second, can however cause problems when pressing the "x" button to terminate the usb connection since windows probably haven't "finished" doing what it was doing.
So when using this setting you need to tell windows (by the safe removal thing) that you have finnished with the device and wish to remove it.

Normaly windows chose the correct option, however since there have been problems with the drivers, it's possible that windows somehow confused the sd for something more permanent.

He meant using Linux on your PC instead of WrongDoze. :D And yes, its usually set as default in WrongDoze XP at least, to Optimise USB storage for safe removal (so it disables Write behind caching) but as we all know, WrongDoze is 100% bug free, and always works as it should (NOT) so its always a better idea to use the safley remove feature. :p

I had the same problem as the original poster. You should unmount in windows first and then press the X button on the GP2X. Otherwise it will freeze up.

I get the opposite effect. Recently, I decided enough was enough and turned write-behind caching on. From there on, I'd connect, transfer, and finally use the "safely remove hardware" dialog to stop the device.

Ever since, the GP2x has hung as soon as the device is unmounted by windows. I suppose the firmware wants to be the one to unmount, thankyewverramuch :)

Mind you, a quick flick of the power button soon sorts it out.

I don't have the problem if I disable write-behind, but without it the speed is awful.

D.

Now that I think of it...I may have the same problem as you. I know I had a problem one way or the other...jsut cant remember which one needed to be unmounted first. Now I have to find out which way it is by freezing my unit when I get home. ARGH...Thanks a lot! :)

Back