Usb Charger

Considering the gp2x using an external netchip for usb functions, are you sure the power pins are actually used?

Well, to answer your topic - you definitely can't charge the batteries via USB.

I'm not sure if it's possible to power up the unit however, you'd have to measure and see if there's anything connected to them. I would of thought not however, as there would have been no requirement.

Anyone know of or has made a power input for USB, so you can play your GP2X using your PC power ?

I've seen a hack for a PSP but none for GP2X. PSP USB

Cheers

Steve
Yes, one of the first hardware hacks a year ago.

Simply put, you need a 3.3 volt regulating circuit and a USB cable and a power plug for the GP2X.

1. Get the 5 volts from the USB (you might want to check that the PC you use can provide enough power through the USB ports, some can, some can't. Use a dual USB and draw power from 2 ports if that is the case.)

2. Feed that to a 3.3 volt power regulating circuit capable of running off of 5 volts.

3. Attach a GP2X style power plug to the output of the regulation circuit and plug it into the GP2X using the power socket on the side.

There is a "power and download" diy model on one of the non-english forums with one of those plastic "trinket eggs" housing the power circuit and a USB pass through cable to connect to the PC at the same time.

EDIT: A quick google turned up this page: http://wiki.gp2xtr.com/index.php/Usb_besleme

Instructions and everything, enjoy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Powering the gp2x via the dc in jack but from a usb cable is cheating! :p

Nice slant on the idea though :)

I like how the moron commenters on hackaday are trying to plug things into usb that aren't 5volt, just because the PSP is 5volt (cell phone for example is commonly 9volt). :lol:

I remember way back when you responded to someone about powering the GP2X from USB that you should be able to do it, but you might need to use two USB ports into one DC adaptor because each port can only supply 500mA. Must be old age making you forget things. :)

My bad peeps thats what i wanted just to power the GP2X via a usb not CHARGE the batteries.

Anyone tried it out yet?
I had a quick look at the Website posted but it's in another lang, i'll see how far i get maybe someone could wright a more indepth tut.

Thanks for all the HELPFUL replies!!!!

Well, there might be enough room to put the power circuit and heatsink inside the GP2X (heatsink Away from the motherboard), then you could wire it to the USB B Mini on the side and use a regular USB mini cable to power it.

My bad peeps thats what i wanted just to power the GP2X via a usb not CHARGE the batteries.

Anyone tried it out yet?
I had a quick look at the Website posted but it's in another lang, i'll see how far i get maybe someone could wright a more indepth tut.

Thanks for all the HELPFUL replies!!!!
You're welcome ;). Instead of building that circuit, you could hunt around the second-hand stores for a GBC/GBA 3.3volt car power adaptor (I found a "mad catz" one), and take it apart, the circuit should be good, just put better wire on it and a bigger heatsink so it can handle more power.

I never tried it, but it should work if the power regulator will take the power when it has a large enough heatsink. The cord on the GBA might be wired backwards to the GP2X style one, and the mad catz brand I have the wire is really small and cheap, so I wouldn't try using it to power the GP2X.

So just replace that wire with some better stuff, or if you have an official one it might have big enough wire.

And make sure it is wired in the right way for the GP2X power jack.

I would have translated that page, but it appears to be Turkish?? I don't know of a free online Turkish->English translator.

I think techfreak may have made that tut, being the Turkey dealer for GP2X, I don't know if he is still around on these boards, but you could PM him.

Back