Still Fresh
Website
www.geolinux.com
Contact us if you want to sell or fix your bricked gp2x
ialso have gp2x systems unbricked for sale starting @ 120$$
geolinux@hotmail.com (USA)

We also sell complete "rescue kits"
includes:

1. jtag box - in dev (gp2x cradle/Bob will be supplied instead)
1. power supply

1. 25 pin straight through
1. 64mg sd card (with 2.0 boot files on it)
1. cd rom (windows xp only) (with a 1 click fix) (and a video demonstration)
1. printed guide to follow along with

the closest thing to a plug and play fix
from start to finish should only take about 45 minutes (including installing the windows software!)

here is a link to everything you need to do it yourself:
http://www.geocities.com/joshuabissot/unbrick.html

45 minutes :S. It takes me that long to do a complete NAND erase, install u-boot via JTAG and install a firmware, typing the commands in manually. Out of interest, why do you need an HDMI cable?

Orkie said:
45 minutes :S. It takes me that long to do a complete NAND erase, install u-boot via JTAG and install a firmware, typing the commands in manually. Out of interest, why do you need an HDMI cable?

sorry ext ext (thanks)is to hook the gp2x to the jtag (not needed if your using the cradle but it is needed to connect to the jtag i make) - yea i have heard of people saying it takes super long time but i just did it to mine Saturday and it took 2 minutes to flash the minibios and about 30 for the firmware "update"(re-instal really but hey). then i updated to 2.1 but not the u-boot (left it at 2.0) and that took all of about 10 minutes

and it sounds like your writing the whole firmeware via jtag - way too slow
you just need a quick mini bios flash (with boot-loader) then let the thing work from the sd slot - [yes my u-boot was gone!! i had only a blank screen when i started].

thanks for pointing out the cable typo -
-joshua

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask why your selling 'rescue' kits when all the software needed on top of an official BoB or cradle and a cheap straight through parallel cable is freely available (and depending on the software, often written or modified by members of this community)?

I can see the attraction of buying all you need in one go but it does seem to be a little 'cashing in' on others work. Mind you, you don't state the price so that may be an unfair criticism.

Also, there are many boot disks/CD's such as the GP32Spain kit or the Open2x one that are suitable for unbricking under many platforms and even GPH's own GP2XRecovery.exe (not ideal I will admit but it is Windows based) that get the job done in an awful lot less then 45 mins.

Can I ask if you have encountered many of the 'varieties' of brick as your kit looks like it will only unbrick a unit with a corrupt bootloader and not the (quite common these days) incorrectly marked NAND blocks caused by downgrading from 3.0.0 to a version 2 firmware (or 2 > 1 etc.). Or even worse, the once that are a combo of the above, they are a real pain.

You may wish to make that clear as it would be a pain to find out the hard way that your stuck with a brick after all the effort.

DJWillis said:
Can I ask why your selling 'rescue' kits when all the software needed on top of an official BoB or cradle and a cheap straight through parallel cable is freely available (and depending on the software, often written or modified by members of this community)?

I can see the attraction of buying all you need in one go but it does seem to be a little 'cashing in' on others work. Mind you, you don't state the price so that may be an unfair criticism.

Also, there are many boot disks/CD's such as the GP32Spain kit or the Open2x one that are suitable for unbricking under many platforms and even GPH's own GP2XRecovery.exe (not ideal I will admit but it is Windows based) that get the job done in an awful lot less then 45 mins.

Can I ask if you have encountered many of the 'varieties' of brick as your kit looks like it will only unbrick a unit with a corrupt bootloader and not the (quite common these days) incorrectly marked NAND blocks caused by downgrading from 3.0.0 to a version 2 firmware (or 2 > 1 etc.). Or even worse, the once that are a combo of the above, they are a real pain.

You may wish to make that clear as it would be a pain to find out the hard way that your stuck with a brick after all the effort.
first let me say thank you for all of your help with this (could not have been done with out your posts.. and yea i was just gonna tag $20 on what it cost me to put it together to make it a no brainier for anyone who has resigned their gp2x to being a brick - in fact i think i also will included all the links software and where i bought the cradle and db25 here so..... well you get it .... any way thanks again i was really bummed when i bricked mine and i believe it was the bootloader and a bad nand format that it fixed.
and i would make it clear before and exchange of money no guarantee is implied. (for all i know its a faulty
board or an amtell chip with to many bad flashes on it) i know of now way to fix that.

as always thanks and please continue to help out so will i -peace

here is the page i just made showing the method i used
http://www.geocities.com/joshuabissot/unbrick.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You said you're selling GP2X systems for $120. Are you still doing that? I'd be interested in buying one.

Back