Upgraded Xp To Vista

telecoda

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
This post is both a warning and a submission for help.

I upgraded my XP SP2 box to Vista this weekend and since then my dev environment has not been working.

I have been using Eclipse with a 4.0.2 arm-linux toolchain.

This thread kinda summarises the symtoms I am suffering and a possible solution:-

http://www.nabble.com/environment-hosed-du...e-t3305745.html

However I have running version 4.0.2 of GCC and wondering if anyone had a Vista compatible build available?

Cheers if you can help. :(

Yep there are changes to the way "security" works which break all GNU programs so far. It remains unfixed.

Vimacs posted on Mar 25 2007 at 04:44 PM said:
why would you want to downgrade to vista anyway?
To see the shiny, I installed it last night and it runs fine for webbing around, and it is shiny :).
The question is why didn't he install it on a separate hard drive? If you get the OEM version at Newegg.com and an 80GB HDD it is still under $150 total. Then you don't run into this problem.

I hope telecoda learns something out of all of this, I don't think I have ever upgraded an OS. What with re-installing them when they get full of crap all the time (I do that for others $$ :D) it doesn't make sense to start off on the wrong foot with an OS install.

Then again maybe he started with XP and never had the OS re-install issues as badly as the rest of us with Win9x and 3.1 issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
vista breaks all gnu programs? god am I glad I never even looked twice at that pile of dung. I assume that this is a total coincidence and m$ really didn't mean to cripple opensource software, right? [/sarcasm]

Blah posted on Mar 26 2007 at 12:02 AM said:
Yep there are changes to the way "security" works which break all GNU programs so far. It remains unfixed.

Thanks Blah, thats kinda the answer I expected but hoped wasn't the case.

I didn't want this to become an OS bashing/praising thread.

As for O/S's I've been around the block since Dos,95,98,2000,XP (Avoided ME :) )

Ironically I would normally go for a fresh install everytime. But due to the amount of tinkering it took me to get a stable GP2X/Win dev environment for cross compilation I didn't want to go through that pain again so decided to upgrade.

Unfortunately I hadn't spotted any posts on the boards warning me of the GNU downfalls at present.

Hopefully others will learn from this.

Meanwhile I have a VM build of Windows I can use in virtual PC if I need to, so all is not lost.

As for reasons for going to Vista....

Well I work in an M$ environment during the day as a .NET Architect so need to be skilled up on new stuff. Only in the evenings do I reveal my true dark side as a maverick open source coder on the GP2X.

If I make any further progress on the GNU situation I'll report back here.

There is some very active work going on to get GNU tools, mSys and CygWin working again on Vista, expect to see results of this work start to surface over the next few weeks/months as this is already well on the way to working.

Once the basic issues are resolved it should be easy enough to upgrade existing GP2X toolchains to support Vista if the people maintaining them are willing to do the work (I plan to support Vista with the Open2x toolchains just as soon as 5 major remaining issues are out the way ;)).

telecoda posted on Mar 26 2007 at 08:41 AM said:
As for reasons for going to Vista....

Well I work in an M$ environment during the day as a .NET Architect so need to be skilled up on new stuff. Only in the evenings do I reveal my true dark side as a maverick open source coder on the GP2X.

Snap :D. Lead Technical Architect here who does an awful lot of .Net work and design to pay the bills. Not the greatest setup but not without some redeeming features.

That said being a tech arch I would never make the jump to Vista right away on my main rig as I need to support far too much existing work. I am running Vista on a spare box but it is mainly being used to sort out the above GNU issues at the moment ;). I also find VSTS on Vista still a little flaky even with the SP1-Vista Edition.

Wooosh, there goes the topic ;).

DJWillis posted on Mar 26 2007 at 10:44 AM said:
Blah posted on Mar 26 2007 at 10:36 AM said:
I was going to mention dual booting ubuntu, but I didn't think he'd take it too well.

:D :D

Why dual boot ;). Run XP and Visual Studio in a VM!

Will be going the VM route for now. I have a mixture of VM's on my work machine external drive already.

Home machine is Vista, at work we won't be touching Vista anytime soon.

I used to have a laptop at home with dual boot to XP and Suse Linux, but never had the time to learn Linux.

There aren't enough hours in the day...

DJWillis posted on Mar 26 2007 at 03:44 AM said:
:D :D

Why dual boot ;). Run XP and Visual Studio in a VM!

That's exactly what I do, as far as I'm concerned it's the best possible solution. :)

What "VM"'s packages are you using ? My laptop is triple boot (DOS/XP/Fedora) and I keep looking at the VM route. I have been trying to decide on one without doing a lot of experimentation on the VM side (time issue).

One of the things you should do with Vista is to turn off the UAC (User Account Control). This really does screw up a lot of software if it is left on. Especially Software not designed to run on Vista.

UAC is located in the User Accounts section under Control Panel.

Gary Miller posted on Mar 27 2007 at 01:56 PM said:
What "VM"'s packages are you using ? My laptop is triple boot (DOS/XP/Fedora) and I keep looking at the VM route. I have been trying to decide on one without doing a lot of experimentation on the VM side (time issue).
There are only 3 good ones that I know of: VMware, qemu and VirtualBox. All of them are available for free in one form or another, VirtualBox is fine for most things, though only VMware can support 3D emulation.

Orkie posted on Mar 27 2007 at 04:32 PM said:
Gary Miller posted on Mar 27 2007 at 01:56 PM said:
There are only 3 good ones that I know of: VMware, qemu and VirtualBox. All of them are available for free in one form or another, VirtualBox is fine for most things, though only VMware can support 3D emulation.
definitly vmware, server is free and the workstation 6.0 beta too :)
(I use vmware server on suse 10.2, works great)

And vimacs, I totally agree :D

Supposedly Xen will boot Windows now too, you might want to look into that as another open source virtualization option. I hadn't seen VirtualBox before, and qemu I think isn't really virtualization but emulation.

The VMWare 3D support isn't good at all, don't get your hopes up over it, I can't even get it to run old old games at any decent framerate.

Back