Up Grading To A Wiz

R

RedBaron

Hi All
Is it worth up grading to a WIZ I have a GP2X F200B at the moment

RedBaron said:
Hi All

While I don't have one, I have considered it. The Wiz is great for someone who has a gp32 or neither a gp32 or a gp2x, but I don't think it's a compelling upgrade for an existing gp2x owner. It's not much faster, or at least at this point, nobody has found a glaring firmware bug causing slowdown. The screen is smaller, but higher quality, but to be honest, unless you play outside a great deal or want to use it to read book or watch a lot of movies, the oled screen doesn't make up for the size. The software is nearly identical at this point with the advantage being things would be slightly faster on the Wiz. Battery is a mixed blessing because the wiz has the built in battery that can charge via usb and the charge lasts longer, but it's a battery that might not be around in 5 years. OTOH, I can still get batteries for my ipaq so a custom battery might not mean you can't get it 10 years later.
I've never used it, so I can't comment on quality of dpad, but if you prefer a dpad, that is an advantage for the wiz.

Overall, at this point, there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade, but maybe you weigh the advantages of the wiz to make the wiz worth it. But I thought you might appreciate the feedback of someone in the same position.

Last edited by a moderator:
RedBaron said:
Hi All
Depends. Like, if you Upgrade from a PS1 to a PS2 you are able to play some of those games. Same applies for OSs like WindowsXP->Vista, Linux, MacOSX etc, BUT NOT
for GP2X -> Wiz. No software will work out of the box. A recompile is needed. If you have bought lets say Payback for the GP2X, no luck for you sir. You cannot play it on
the Wiz.
If the question is, is the Wiz worth my money compared for the same money as a GP2X, then my answer would be Yes, cause you get more Features like 3D acceleration + Touch for
the same price, etc.

From a developers point of few, i would say no, for the moment, its not worth, cause GPH made an awful job with the firmware, making Development a bit hard. (like no USB Networking->no Debug, no official SDK etc).

Always depends what you want.

christo930 said:
RedBaron said:
Hi All

While I don't have one, I have considered it. The Wiz is great for someone who has a gp32 or neither a gp32 or a gp2x, but I don't think it's a compelling upgrade for an existing gp2x owner. It's not much faster, or at least at this point, nobody has found a glaring firmware bug causing slowdown. The screen is smaller, but higher quality, but to be honest, unless you play outside a great deal or want to use it to read book or watch a lot of movies, the oled screen doesn't make up for the size. The software is nearly identical at this point with the advantage being things would be slightly faster on the Wiz. Battery is a mixed blessing because the wiz has the built in battery that can charge via usb and the charge lasts longer, but it's a battery that might not be around in 5 years. OTOH, I can still get batteries for my ipaq so a custom battery might not mean you can't get it 10 years later.
I've never used it, so I can't comment on quality of dpad, but if you prefer a dpad, that is an advantage for the wiz.

Overall, at this point, there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade, but maybe you weigh the advantages of the wiz to make the wiz worth it. But I thought you might appreciate the feedback of someone in the same position.

I guess it depends on you financial situation if it is worth it. As far as the Wiz screen just being better for sunlight that is actually not really true. The Wiz screen is actually better for dark rooms too because the pure black background makes the contrast look much better than the GP2X in allot of games. In dark rooms the GP2X LCD backlight makes the contrast kind of hazy.

It is faster too, not just slightly, MAME is considerably faster on the newer games. Stuff that struggled on the GP2X is pretty smooth on the Wiz.

The D-buttons on the GP2X F200 were really bad too. It really isn't even a real pad and it wasn't good at all for allot of stuff. I d-pad modded mine so it didn't end up too bad afterwards but the default setup was crap.

Back