Unreal Speccy Portable

Aion

Still Fresh
Portable ZX-Spectrum emulator supports Z80 128K (Pentagon) AY/YM, Beeper, Beta Disk, Tape, Kempston Joystick/Mouse, Snapshots.
Supported formats: sna, z80, tap, tzx, csw, trd, scl, zip.
Created to be ported to many platforms such as Windows/Linux/Mac/Symbian/WinMobile/Dingoo/... and now for GPH Wiz / Caanoo.

menu128.png
madrom.png

Main meaning of emulator - support Pentagon's (russian Sinclair ZX Spectrum clone) timings to perfect emulate russian PD demos(some of it included in pack). But you are able to run ZX Spectrum games on it too. Just don't expect timings of the original model(tearing may appear, etc...) or turn on compatibility "MODE 48K" in menu.

Please read "README-Caanoo(Wiz)" files in emulator's directory for control mapping and other help.

History
~~~~~~~
20/11/2010 1.1
+ Added external USB keyboard support(text adventure games/editors/etc...).
* Fixed volume control in menu.
* Slightly better vSync support(thanks notaz!) but still not perfect.
(need to know 100Hz mode LCD timings for Caanoo)
* Sound output working when VK on the screen.

Caanoo:
+ HOLD button now pause emulation.

Wiz:
+ Added diagonal controls support.
* Fixed volume buttons(to change volume press and _release_ button!).

Unreal Speccy Portable 201110
Unreal Speccy Portable 201110 Source

I love the speccy as iv said before so another emulator is very welcome :)

I cant get the thing to load up though! tried everything but it just freezes on load up leaving a three quarter black screen and gray at the bottom.

anyone else had any luck with it ?

paul3100

paul3100 said:
I love the speccy as iv said before so another emulator is very welcome :)

I cant get the thing to load up though! tried everything but it just freezes on load up leaving a three quarter black screen and gray at the bottom.

anyone else had any luck with it ?

paul3100
Please read platform specifics readme included in emulator's directory. It consist help how to load disk images.

Small help how to open image:

Tape (tap/tzx/csw)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Press reset
- Open image in menu
- Press 'I' to enter in basic
- Type LOAD "" enter in virtual keys
- Press start tape in menu
- Choose tape sound source for sound (optional)

Disk (scl/trd)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Press reset
- Open image in menu
- Press enter to enter in Max Petrov's commander
- Select file and press enter

Keys in service rom (after reset)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
U - Menu 128
S - Trdos 128
I - Basic 48
ENTER - Max Petrov's commander

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read platform specifics readme included in emulator's directory. It consist help how to load disk images.

Na dude you misunderstand! i mean i can't get the emulator to load on my caanoo let alone try to load any games on the speccy emulator.

paul3100

paul3100 said:
Na dude you misunderstand! i mean i can't get the emulator to load on my caanoo let alone try to load any games on the speccy emulator.

paul3100
Oh. I see. Well... It was tested only on 1.0.6 firmware that i have. Try to delete unrealspeccyp.xml file and run emulator again. If not, delete libSDL-1.2.so.0 file too. And if it not fix an issue... then i've run out of ideas ))

im on 1.50 but ill give what you said a try and report back :)

paul3100

EDIT: removed both files and still nothing! wonder then if it could be a firmware problem or me just being dumb lol

Anyone else got 1.50 on there caanoo and wanting to give this a try?

Hey Aion why haven't you updated your caanoo? is it due to the performance hit?

paul3100 said:
Hey Aion why haven't you updated your caanoo? is it due to the performance hit?
No, it's not. I had no motivation :) But now i have.
UPD. I'd update my firmware up to v1.5.0 r145 and still have no issue you described above. Try another SD card?
UPD2. You can also try to modify unrealspeccyp.ini file. Edit it in line:
path="/unrealspeccyp/unreal_speccy_portable.gpl"
and replace ".gpl" with ".gpe".

arrrgggggggg

Yeah i already changed the file type to gpe and checked all that but still nothing, also tryed placing the emu in both game and apps folder but nothing!

I dont suppose it matters where the disk folder goes does it? i just put it in the speccy folder.

other than that im also out of ideas, why why does this stuff happen to me lol

paul3100

paul3100 said:
arrrgggggggg

Yeah i already changed the file type to gpe and checked all that but still nothing, also tryed placing the emu in both game and apps folder but nothing!
Still try to change SD card. Maybe it has bad blocks.

I dont suppose it matters where the disk folder goes does it? i just put it in the speccy folder.
Disk folder location is not important.

other than that im also out of ideas, why why does this stuff happen to me lol
Sorry, no ideas. lol

still not got it working!!! tried everything possible

1) tried every folder on the caanoo
2) tried renaming the config file aka gpl to gpe
3) tried using the caanoo's menu and the gmenu2x menu
4) tried launching the emu using the gpl file

I dont think i can be doing anything wrong as all my other emulators and games work perfectly so very strange! dont think its going to be an sd problem as i even tried multi copy's at the same time in different folders and still nothing.

paul3100

And just after saying all that i thought i would try another sd card but when i went into my stored zipped caanoo emulators i did 1 thing different, rather than unzipping on my desktop i unzipped right into the apps folder of the sd card showing a wiz and caanoo folder!

You see i have a caanoo folder already on my desktop for backup purposes so every time i was unzipping the speccy emu i thought there was only a wiz folder so assumed that was the emu to use on the caanoo! lol

thanks for all the help and for a great emulator :)

paul3100 (2)

paul3100 said:
And just after saying all that i thought i would try another sd card but when i went into my stored zipped caanoo emulators i did 1 thing different, rather than unzipping on my desktop i unzipped right into the apps folder of the sd card showing a wiz and caanoo folder!

You see i have a caanoo folder already on my desktop for backup purposes so every time i was unzipping the speccy emu i thought there was only a wiz folder so assumed that was the emu to use on the caanoo! lol
WiZ version wouldn't work on Caanoo, of course :) I can't build a multi-platform executables right now. Anyway, two executables are use different versions of dynamic SDL library by ikari, so it less points to make multi-platform exe.

thanks for all the help and for a great emulator :)
You're welcome! :)

euro48k said:
any news for gp2x users? :)
a port would be possible for gp2x?
Sorry, not this time :( I haven't installed and tested GP2X SDK and i don't have spare time right now. I could provide sources if you need. Just modify \build\wiz\makefile and remap buttons in \platform\sdl\sdl_keys_wiz.cpp. Here a download link.

I tried it in my Wiz and works fine. I found just one flaw (a big one) the diagonals don´t work in any game. Maybe the controls are designed for the Caanoo´s stick, I don´t know, but the fact is that many of the games are unplayable (Jet Pac, Avalon, Equinox, Rambo etc). Otherwise the emulator is great, the new features are fantastic, and pendragon demos are wonderful.

raindog said:
I tried it in my Wiz and works fine. I found just one flaw (a big one) the diagonals don´t work in any game. Maybe the controls are designed for the Caanoo´s stick, I don´t know, but the fact is that many of the games are unplayable (Jet Pac, Avalon, Equinox, Rambo etc). Otherwise the emulator is great, the new features are fantastic, and pendragon demos are wonderful.
Currently diagonals are not supported in buttons handler routine, sorry. I will try to solve this problem in the next release. But not so soon.

Aion said:
raindog said:
Currently diagonals are not supported in buttons handler routine, sorry. I will try to solve this problem in the next release. But not so soon.
Ok, thank you for your fast answer. I´ll be looking foward to that update.

Congratulations on your great work.

Aion said:
euro48k said:
any news for gp2x users? :)
a port would be possible for gp2x?
Sorry, not this time :( I haven't installed and tested GP2X SDK and i don't have spare time right now. I could provide sources if you need. Just modify \build\wiz\makefile and remap buttons in \platform\sdl\sdl_keys_wiz.cpp. Here a download link.
I've put a request for a port on the GP2X forum in the 'Cool Ideas and other wishes' section. (Here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57449-unreal-speccy-portable )
Hopefully somebody can port it.

Cheers, Neil

Back