Unnamed Alternative Gp2x Menu

techFreak

Website
Visit site
Hello all,

Has anyone tried this replacement menu? I did... But couldn't find the example scripts for it. Anyone knows how to write scripts for it? For example you, Waninkoko? ;)

I am cautious about changing the skin on the standard fw 1.4, let enough changing the entire menu system. I would love a new and logical menu system, as Craigx 's post a while ago was discussing in detail. Can't afford to brick my GP2x on the promise of a new menu, unless there are no bugs, gives genuine improvements, and people are using it successfully. Perhaps people could post their thoughts on this menu system??

Well, I haven't installed it yet, but I have run it. This is what I've found so far:

- The menu is a grid of icons. This is fairly easy to navigate.
- In order to create an icon, you need to make a script. It's just a normal script, like any other. This seems a bit difficult, to say the least. I *could* attempt to make a script that scans your SD for gpes and creates a shortcut for each. Maybe I will.

techFreak, the example script was not added. ZIP problem ^^

Maybe I change shortcuts system. Instead of use scripts, use text files with this content:

gngeo2x/rage2x.gpe

(Relative path + executable name)

But this it's less fexible than use scripts but more easy.

PD: Soon 0.02 version. Many bugs fixed ;)

Maybe you could choose a special extention for these text files, to stop them appearing in the E-book reader?

OK, here's a script that'll scan your GP2X for .gpe and .gpu files and make shortcuts for them. It is not space friendly. Any paths or filenames with spaces in them will not work. You therefore have to either remove the spaces or do those manually.

Download it here.

okay, well .. here's a fix for your space problem:

Code:
FLIST=`find . -name *.gpe -print | sed 's/\ /\\ /g'`

and ..

Code:
FLIST=`find . -name *.gpu -print | sed 's/\ /\\ /g'`

just to .. you know .. be friendly ..

how do i use this script? i copied it to the shortcuts folder but nothing happened.

You run it from Utilities.

Thanks, torpor.

EDIT: New, space-friendly version of the script has been uploaded as of this edit.

ok, got it working now. run hexen and it locked up and then after i turned the gp2x off, it was stuck on the green loading screen.

Flashed the gp2xfile from the bricked website and its working again. I think i will be cautious until this bug is fixed. Anyone else have this issue?

I like Mocca because an error is generated rather than the whole thing freezing. If mocca had the lcd/cpu fix, it would be perfect! :)

How long does that script take? I've left it on for 10 minutes, and its still at a blank screen.

Well, it's searching your entire NAND and SD for files. If you have a large SD with lots of subdirectories, it'll take a while. Shouldn't take 10 minutes though, I'll look into it.

nickspoon posted on Mar 27 2006 at 08:41 AM said:
Well, it's searching your entire NAND and SD for files. If you have a large SD with lots of subdirectories, it'll take a while. Shouldn't take 10 minutes though, I'll look into it.
I suppose it depends what you have on it. I once tried to add the Ur-Quan Masters, but thought that I had to unzip the data files. There were several thousand tiny files and it was going to take over 2 hours to add them all to the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back