Unknown Error Occurred

Alpha2

Heroic Autobot
Website
the-real-alpha2.com
So last week I installed fgen32, and I love it oc course. the fact that I can play Gunstar Heroes on the go WITH sound is beyond awsome. But this week I decided to try some of the new stuff bouncing around, so I hook up the FLU as usual and switch to pclink mode and start the pclink program...

unknown error occurred

Huh? I dont get it whats goign on here? It worked fine last week! I figure maybe my drivers are messed up, so I reinstalled it, and it still happened, I reinstalled PClink, it still happened, I plugged it ino ever USB slot on the computer and nothing.

So now I've been searching the forums for like a half hour and I still havent seen anyone with this problem. it's not the process error(I've had that before, this is NOT the same), and its not a firmware thing (I;m still using the old original and not the multi firmware or others). I dont get whats causing it. I've tried starting it with every one of my SMCs in it and it still gives the same error like its just refusing to access the GP. I dont have any way of reformating the SMCs outside of the GP32. I had a PNY card reader but either it's busted or my computer will not accurately read it for some reason (like has to do with XP being a load of crap.)

If anyone can help it'd be a ppreciated greatly. Please dont suggest the harddrive type program as I kinda dont trust them, no offense to their creators, I just prefer to use PClink. As I said I still use the old "fruity" firmware(it hasnt bothered me enough to want to flash yet), my computer is a WinXP laptop 3 USB1.1 slots and 2 USB2 on a PCcard and I'm using the hacked PClink that allows more than 8 character file names, but even the original reacts the same way.

Is you USB-cable okay/plugged in correctly? Maybe your contacts are dirty or the cable itself broke.

Is there a way I could check to see if the cable was broken? I can hook it to the computer and turn it on the chime goes off that signals a USB device has been connected.

As for USB settings the most recent thing I got was a new game controller but they dont give you a disk for it, XP just spotaneously finds drivers for it. But even then I've reinstalled the drivers once before (by which I mean XP litterally asked me to point it to the driver) and it still gives me a problem.

Ask some techi-friend for a so called multimeter and check through every contact of the cable.

Try using gpdrive to see if the cable will work. I know you may not like to use programs of this nature, but its just this once. Also, after you try gpdrive youl prob never want to use pclink again (i was EXACTLY the same way before i tried it)

EDIT: shit Alpha2, sorry i forgot. Card reader?

I dont actually have a techi friend with a multimeter unfortunatly. Is it possible to just buy a new USB cable (assuming that's even the problem)? I dont think I've ever seen them advertised.

Okay I'll try GP drive just to see if it'll make a connection and report back.

Wait a sec. if gpdrive is an .FXE that means it's a GP32 application not a windows app. If I cant even connect to my GP32 I cant install it to even use it.

try installing one of the other usb drivers (the unofficial ones). that is what i did, and it fixed it.

I've been using one of the unofficial drivers since day one it's like this just happened out of the blue... I reinstalled the USB driver again for the 3rd or forth time and still no luck! :(

What's going on!!!???

Well, firstly, try the brute force method. Namely installing the driver on someone else's machine and trying there. Or if you've another computer, using that.

I've had the GP32 refuse to recognise on several occasions on my machine whilst working perfectly on my dad's. A re-install of Windows fixed it, of course, but that might be a little drastic for you (it would have been for me, but for the fact that I had to reinstall it anyway)

Next, be certain you're still plugging in the cable in the same order you were. Un-plug all other USB devices when you try to connect (especially if you're using a switch/hub/whatever to convert one port to lots). Try a different port to the one you're doing.

Then if that lot doesn't work, go find the GP32 driver in device manager or somewhere (not sure where, but its in Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Device Manager --> one of the types of peripheral but not a clue which) and delete it. Then try re-installing as though from scratch next time the computer asks for the driver.

If that still doesn't work, then get yourself a card-reader. They're faster anyway, and not that pricey.

Well, Like I said so far I've reinstalled the driver like 4 times. It seems like every time I plug it into a new port that was previously occupied by something else it asks me for the driver AGAIN so I point it out then after the installation begins it asks me to point it to the .sys file (which seems fishy to me) and finished the install. At this point I once again trys to connect and it gives me the unknown error AGAIN as pc link starts up.

I'll check through some of the things you suggested even the ones I've already done again just to make sure. As I said before I had a SMC reader but it wont acknolege that there's a card in it thus making it useless. I think I can get another card reader so I'll try that first though.

not about to buy another one untill I'm sure I can even get them to work on my computer. all in all I'd much rather use the pclink because it will automatically place files from a .zpk exactly where they ned to be rather than my having to do it manualy with an extractor. I have enough to worry about without having to personally manage every file on my SMC, the number of unusable roms and old versions of current GP apps I havent deleted is staggering because I dont have a lot of free time to muck around withit.

also while I keep hearing people say it's faster I've rarely had to wait that long for something to be loaded on my cards. the biggest thing I have is maybe KOF or BOR and they;re both the stock versions because I only hae a 56k for downloading and a 50mb file for BOR or a bunch of 16 mb rar files for KOF is somthing I'm in no rush for right now.

Back