Ultimate Shoot-em-ups

Fzero

Advanced Member
I want a listing please.

The talk of Sturmwind on the DC has whet the apatite, no idea when that will be released exactly though.

I been playing Blazing Star on my phone a bit lately.

What's the ultimate shoot-em-ups for any system?

I'll list my obvious, well known favs;

R-Types

Salamader

Forgotten Worlds

Gynoug/Wings of wor

Darius'

Side Arms

Those are all classics I love.

Up some more that are worth checking out, I'll probably try nab them on ebay if not too expensive as I'm in a shoot-em-up mood lately it seems...

Ikaruga, Varth, Truxton, Lords of Thunder, Spriggan, M.U.S.H.A., Agony, Super Raiden, Tyrian, 1945, Bio-Hazard Battle, RayStorm, Philosoma, Novastorm, Super S.W.I.V.

theres a lot more on my list but i'd be here all day!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderforce 2,3 & 4

Aero Blasters/Air Buster

Super Star Soldier

Final Soldier

Soldier Blade

X-out

Z-out

Zero Wing

Hellfire

Aleste

How about "Cave" games ? Mushihimesama, Ibara, Muchi Muchi Pork, Death Smiles, ESP Rade, ect. They are all playable on PC with Mame... Some are available on PS2 / Xbox 360 and iPhone.

Zero Wing

Helfire

...both those are classics I played loads too [both on the old Megadrive]

1945 and all those clones are good too

Einhander on the Playstation is another I used to play a lot.

Thunderforce, another great one.

I'll take a look into those others though and see which look like a good purchase.

Some I know and have played a little in the past, some I don't think I ever have though, so will look at those for sure ... like Aleste/Super Megaforce, I don't think I've played that before.

DeathSmiles and ESP Rade look great too from a quick google image search, I will look into those too thanks

PS: CAVE Games is something I need to look into, some amazing looking games by them, I'm wondering if any on Android for me to get on the phone, will check in a moment.

I really want to play Dodonpachi Saidaioujou now, just see this page

http://www.siliconer...hi-saidaioujou/

They look like they make great shoot em ups

edit:

Looks like they not putting them out on Android which is a shame, all these look great but all on iPhone

http://www.gameteep....app-games-sale/

edit 2:

Ok, I searched 'Cave' with no joy, but I searched 'Dodonpachi' and I see that Dodonpachi Resurrection is available on Android Play, by a dev called G-GEE, so I will be buying that.

http://www.cave-world.com/en/games/

Shows the list of games and there are 2 for now which are on Android.

Looks like I will be getting both those.

Nice :)

[edit - delete double post]

Anything Konami.

Parodius, Twinbee, Salamander, Polystars and my favorite Gradius!

When it comes to other company's i would say Thunderforce, R-type, In the hunt, 1944, Gunbird, Sengoku Blade/Ace, boogie wings, Armed police batrider.

This is why i live and breath and thank god for mame theres a hacked mame plus about the web that allows you to play the cave sh3 games but it has been un added from current builds due to a complaint from cave

Well most of my faves have been mentioned already(In The Hunt, Einhander, Parodius, R-Type, Darius), but are we allowing 3-D shooters?

If so, Starfox, StarFox 64, Panzer Dragoon, and Panzer Dragoon Orta(4 Of the best rail shooters ever made). I guess I'll also throw Sin & Punishment in there as well, as this is the top dog of ALL RAIL SHOOTERS. The N64's finest game in my humble opinion.

Chris

Ah lovely Shmups, how many ways do I love them.. a completely random selection of some of my favourites..

G Darius

Dopachi/Dodonpachi

Samurai Aces (aka Sengoku Aces)

Gunbird/Gunbird 2

Esp. Rade

Guwange

Armed Police Batrider

Dogyunn

Truxton II

Zero Gunner 2

Dragon Blaze

Change Air Blade

Psyvariar II

Under Defeat

Einhander

Dangun Feveron

Raycrisis

Gradius Gaiden

Batsugun

Harmful Park

Border Down

Bangai O

Raiden DX

Very easy for me to get carried away just talking about shmups, so I'll leave it at that.

Sin & Punishment 2 ... on the Wii ... Any good?

I've not heard of that till mentioned on the N64 Jumpman

Looks nice, like a Wipeout style racer/shooter

start-successor.jpg

Border Down looks very good too.

Going to look out for that

Sin & Punishment 2 ... on the Wii ... Any good?

I've not heard of that till mentioned on the N64 Jumpman

Going to look out for that
Yeah, actually it is very good. I believe if you look around, you can probably find it for under 10 dollars. I have not finished it yet, so I can't review it as a completed game, but up to where I did play, I would say it was a very good sequel and probably one of the Wii's best hardcore games handsdown.

Controls are slightly differant, due to Wiimote/Nunchuck VS. N64 pad, but they are differant in a good way. The N64 game controlled like a dream, once you came to grips with the fact that every button needed to be used at all times, but the Wii game allows for less work due to motion controls.

Treasure has a policy against doing sequels, so when they do one, you can best believe it is worth their time and ours ;)

Chris

Counterforce on the wii is a decent time killer . Metal slug is boss . Metal slug is a shmp right ?

Espgaluda 2 is sick, just beat it on first go with no continue though, so not too hard on standard mode, I'll try the difficult mode next.

nice game though and plenty bullets to swerve.

will defo d/l that other Cave title for my droid

...forum is lacking CSS styling for me right now, seems my Opera browser has baft as all sites are styleless... lets see if a reboot sorts it

I see a copy of Sin & Punishment Wii on bay for £15, ill check again next week on pay day and buy it up.

Gradius V on PS2 I have, or used to have anyway I got rid of most my PS2 games back in the day when needed cash, agree is a good game though

Silkworm is old skool classic

Just ordered Sin & Punishment on Wii... and a few other old games

Blast Works on Wii

Front Mission Evolved on PS3

Killzone 2 on PS3

Madworld on Wii

Dark Void on PS3

Just over £18

Should keep me busy over the week off work next month.

Only played Killzone before out of those.

Madworld I've seen.

The rest never, but Front Mission looks an alright little shooter too.

Back