Uae4All - Will It Ever Receive Any More Love?

marzsyndrome

Still Fresh
I can't help but feel that everytime I hear about a brand spanking new UAE4ALL release for the OpenPandora community, the entirety of the (surely still small) Pandora userbase is openly laughing in the faces of us GP2X-whatever owners for splashing out on a cheaper yet still quite decent handheld.

It's such a shame that both the Wiz and the Caanoo were each granted just one release in the form of a quick job of a port with no new features to speak of and utilising precisely none of the Wiz/Caanoo's increased power over the original F100/200. I mean, I own many devices as it is (PSP, iPhone 4, Wiz, Dingoo) and they either can't emulate the Amiga adequately enough for my liking, or don't even have an Amiga emulator to speak of (I'm looking at you, iOS!). Rodland in particular is one of my favourite games and something I would love to play on the move - I already have enough trouble finding something to emulate the arcade version smoothly and glitch-free, but that's still much better luck I'm having than trying to play the Amiga version.

Yes, I know the Pandora is supposed to be developers' favourite new toy nowadays, but that's not much consolation to most of us end-users who don't have 440 euros on hand, or can't risk that much money on a small device, not to mention the other risk of getting a not-so-perfect unit (and hearing about the brand spanking new Pandora unit only months after purchasing the old one, all for another 440 euros). It's nice to see a small trickle of new life from the GPH community every now and then, but it's mostly in the form of indie games or ports, with the emulation front having ground to a halt for quite a long while now. I for one would love to take advantage of UAE4ALL's new glittery AGA support on the go... and before someone chimes in with "but the GPH models simply don't have the horsepower for that", how would we know considering, like I said before, we were only given quick ports? I'm not asking for the original/main authors to drag their feet back here either - I'll be happy enough to just hear of some lucky whizz-kid out there finding the time and strength one day to maintain a GPH side to all things UAE.

I mean, if I had professional coding skills and an intimate knowledge of the programming that goes behind Amiga emulation, I'd attempt a go myself!

*Sigh* I just hope my dear little Wiz above all else won't feel sorely neglected forever more... =[

I totally agree with you Marz, Actually I've been playing lots of UAE on my Wiz lately and would love to see Save states (For games like Turrican 2) Faster, smoother emulation etc. I played Battle Command for hours yesterday, its a great Tank arcade/simulation game with lots of cool missions like destroy a missile launcher, rescue a hostage, protect a convoy, etc, very fun! Also been playing "IT Came From The Desert" as well.

Also nice to see someone mention the Wiz!

I too would love to see an update on this emulator for the Wiz, but seeing as it's been years since they quickly ported it I can't see it happening. Only a handful of people have these Pandoras and at the slow production rate and ridiculous price it will always be a small minority.

The emulator hasn't even got proper menu options for the Wiz, they couldn't be bothered to even change the text for the Menu/Select buttons and the screen scaling amongst other things doesn't even work on the Wiz. I would love to see them fix these options and also fix the HAM display mode (as that doesn't display properly either). Then they could try AGA mode.

As all of this is available on the Pandora, is it hard to port it to the Wiz? I have no idea of the work involved.

Back