Travelling Round Oz - Suggestions

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
After uni, I want to go travelling, and I want to do it in Australia.

Because I know I'll never save up enough for a 'holiday', I'd like to make my way around the country by working to earn enough to get to the next place. Is this still a viable option nowadays? Do places randomly hand out jobs to people in this way?

Is there anyone out there whose pulled off something similar, or any Ozzies with any relevant info at all, be it about places to see, which spiders to avoid, whether or not I can kip in a kangaroo's pouch, etc? 

Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated.

SONY said:
Lets stage an Aussie GP32X Melbourne meet-up.

I like to think that will feature a truly obscene amount of beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of friends have done it and loved it. Apparently you will stumble over truckloads of Germans wandering around in Australia and New Zealand for some crazy reason. There should be a lot of info on the internet and I think "work and travel" is pretty official over there so you might even get a job through state agencies. You need a "working-holiday" visa though. Don't know where to apply for that. There are a lot of organisations that help with this stuff and finding jobs over there if you don't want the hassle.

EDIT: Weird wording.

Nova said:
SONY said:

Along with nice food, doing lines up the nose via credit card and of course VVomen! And YES! That's Women with 2 V's!!! Some crazy Aussie VVomen!!!

Example of Aussie women below.

aussie-beach-girls.jpg

SONY said:
Nova said:
SONY said:

Along with nice food, doing lines up the nose via credit card and of course VVomen! And YES! That's Women with 2 V's!!! Some crazy Aussie VVomen!!!

Example of Aussie women below.

aussie-beach-girls.jpg
Better use a straw or rolled up bill, credit cards hurt when stuffing them up the nose. And those lovely sisters of yours look like they'd like to see my video games collection ^^.

I did exactly this a couple of years after Uni in 2003.. Aussie working holiday visas were a lot harsher back then - you could only work for 3 months at a time - these days I believe its up to 6 months in any one job. To get the visa, just apply online and it goes to your email. Print this off and show it to the official on arrival and they print you a sticker for your passport. Whatever you don't get fooled into paying for one through an agent! Same goes for getting a TFN number (tax number) when you get there.

In the year I had over there.. I ended up managing a backpackers in Coogee Beach during the Christmas period 05/06, worked a database job in Brisbane, went travelling round in a camper van doing "relocations" and working in the outback 16 hours north of Perth as a jackaroo herding cattle on 250cc dirtbikes :)

I'm now settled in New Zealand with my own testing consultancy, and do a lot of integrationy stuff with Process Server / JCAPS / XML among other things.. the UK never gave me a chance (I kept getting to the last one or two in interviews and not making it :( )

Hope this helps you :)

I moved over to Australia earlier this year from the UK, and I haven't looked back. It's a great place. Last year I traveled all over Oz, seeing which area(s) I'd go and look for work. I was surprised to find that I liked places that I didn't expect to like, or even places I knew nothing about. So, don't discount anywhere, I would never have guessed that I'd end up in Launceston in Tasmania, but I couldn't see myself living anywhere else now. Don't just stick to the main touristy places and enjoy yourself.

Back