Transfering files to GP

ebrentnell

Still Fresh
Hey everybody.

I finaly got my GP32 today :D

I got loaded up with the Gamepark.com site and authenticated my GP32.
I have installed the usb drivers and I have also go the PC link Host software going. I even bought movie park and downloaded it and it installed itself onto my GP32 through the USB.

Im feeling a little retarded here. How do I put a file (any file) onto the GP?

I will open the PC link Host software. I have the GP on with the USB plugged in and its set to talk to the computer. The screen pops up and shows the different directories on the SMC. I grab an MP3 from my desktop and click and drag it over to the GP MP3 folder, as soon as it gets over the window the pointer turns into a circle with the line through it. I tried to right click copy and past files and it won't let me do it.

How the heck do I get a file on to this thing?

Its now 2 am here so I am going to bed frustrated :angry:
Please tell me what obvious simple thing I am missing out on.

Thanks.

Under the GP32 folders you will see another directory tree of your PC. You have to copy files in PC-link using that, meaning you'll have to treck all through your folders just to find the desktop folder. ;)
I also find it very annoying that I can't just copy files straight over from my desktop =/
Silly gamepark ¬¬

Don't forget that the file names must have at last 8 characters length and a 3 characters extension, never more (I know it's annoying, if you want more infos seek the topic named "renaming files on the gp32")

Yep, drag and drop only works within PC-Link. I put all by stuff in C:\GP32 so I don't have to hunt through lots of folders.

There is a patch to use full file names, i'm not sure why gamepark only allow 8.3 ones by default.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

There is a patch to use full file names, i'm not sure why gamepark only allow 8.3 ones by default.

Patch??? :huh: ive got the one for PClink that converts them all to 8 chars... but not one that lets you use full file names, what one you talking about Craig?

Bonks

thanks for the replies everyone I will deal with my wonderfull yet frustrating GP after work.

Thanks

Craig, the reason why the file system is 8.3 is because the SMC file system is FAT 12/16. It's a limitation it has.

It's either that, or it's just less processing power to handle short filenames.

Hmmm... I have no problem creating a long filename on an SMC using my SMC-Writer... it's always correctly displayed using WinXP...
It uses some kind of a "patch" to do that (remember Win95 also used FAT16, the filenames were truncated using DOS, but long using Win95?).
I guess this patch still works on the SMC, 'cause when I take a look at the long filename I see the typical ~1, showing that this file is truncated.
So theoretically the GP32 could use this "patch" to read the long filenames correctly...
But this is something that has to be implemented into a filemanager, or, better, into a firmware :)
And it would really be nice :)

BTW: I guess gamepark really changed a bit of the hard- and software...
Why? 'cause a lot of people seem to have problems running Game Gear games with the ending *.gg and have to rename them to *.ggg
I have no problem at all using *.gg :)
But on the other hand: GPVGB011 crashes when I try to run GameBoy Color games and GPVGB007 resets when being started (even with different firmwares, so it looks like there seems to be some problem with the hardware)...

Back