Touchy Roms?

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
can anyone enlighten me as to why certain roms might not always work when I try to load them? This has happened on a couple of emus so i dont think it is an emu specific issue.

it usually sorts itself out after a try or two. it has happened a couple of times when testing new roms for drMD(gargoyles, duke nukem, MK2), and i thought they just werent compatible-- then luckily for some reason i tried them again later and they work beautifully <i hadnt found the delete rom option yet>. it happened later with squidge when i was testing what the emu could do with wolfenstein and doom and i know one more but i cant remember which(i know the snes version of both sucks, but i figure if the emu can do it, its a nice test)

Its not a big deal, just kinda curious...

thanks

d

SNES Doom and possibly wolfenstein is a superfx game... not all of the emulators actually support that, and the ones that do don't really run it at a good speed.

Anyhow the source ports of Doom (and I think there's probably one for Wolfenstein, but I can't check because the archive is down) are obviously going to be better...

Is it bad that half my post is in brackets?

Wolfenstein for gp2x is available from pdroms.com if not mistaken. You can't find it on the archive because it's illigal in germany and the archive's server is german.

I like how NONE of the replies answer his/her question... so I will attempt.

well there can be bad dumps, over dumps, etc that might not work well and there are also alternative versions of roms

I would try to use roms that are named with goodtools, mainly the [!] which is a good dump and will most likely work and you should always try to get those and they should work. there are also alternative dumps, [a], that you could try too and also fixed dumps [f] that should also work.

for more information check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#ROM_naming_schemes

that should probably be a better take at answering your question.

DemonStar55 posted on Sep 17 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
I like how NONE of the replies answer his/her question... so I will attempt.

well there can be bad dumps, over dumps, etc that might not work well and there are also alternative versions of roms

I would try to use roms that are named with goodtools, mainly the [!] which is a good dump and will most likely work and you should always try to get those and they should work. there are also alternative dumps, [a], that you could try too and also fixed dumps [f] that should also work.

for more information check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#ROM_naming_schemes

that should probably be a better take at answering your question.

thank you for actually answering my initial question-- your link was very helpful. As i mentioned i didnt think it was an emu issue, and i was using the hard games to check if the emu could handle it-- thats all. I guess i was a little unclear? it was 3 am when i wrote it.

as for the others-- thanks for the info about the games, i know you were trying to help, and its appreciated.

thanks

d

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that it might be the media. Problematic memory sticks/cards can sometimes have bits that stick intermitently, causing the ROM you load off it to be corrupted.

Just a thought, but try using another one.

Back