Touchscreen Support Very Much Needed

chronoboy

Still Fresh
I am sure there is even a huger list than this, but here is a small list of apps, which were made to have mouse/touchscreen support:

GP2X-GPE
GP2X-Qtopia
GP2X-X11
Gmenu2x

In the comments section for these apps on archive.gp2x.de, users are requesting touchscreen support.

I am creating this thread to see what can be done, and how complex the process would be to add touchscreen support in these apps. We do not even have one single third-party touchscreen launcher. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to see Gmenu2x with touchscreen support.

How does the touchscreen work? I imagine by now, it does not emulate a mouse and a left mouse button, as extra coding is required, correct? Has a library been to proxy all mouse code to the touchscreen, or a touchscreen library in general?

If I could get more information on how difficult coding the touchscreen is, I can try to modify the Gmenu2x source code and add touchscreen support. My C/C++ is not the best, however I do understand the general logic behind programming, and can read online references to see how things can be done.

Also, are people giving up on the GP2X and touchscreen support, as the Open Pandora is due to be out soon? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for any information anybody can provide on this.

SDL is being developed to support it, basically to SDL it will look like a mouse. Once that gets finalized more apps based on SDL like Gmenu2x could see support.

Some the programs you listed might need direct access to the touchpad like X11, I think someone hacked in so the joystick could control the cursor, the same might be be true for th touchscreen. All you need to get those working is some motivated dev.

Thanks for the info. I've been able to get more into Ultima 7 and OpenTTD since I got my new F-200, I loved playing these games on the computer using a mouse, but with my F-100, it just wasn't the same.

Anyways, does Dosbox emulate the mouse using the touchscreen, or is support not added yet for this?

chronoboy said:
Thanks for the info. I've been able to get more into Ultima 7 and OpenTTD since I got my new F-200, I loved playing these games on the computer using a mouse, but with my F-100, it just wasn't the same.

Anyways, does Dosbox emulate the mouse using the touchscreen, or is support not added yet for this?
actually dosbox will or might already be, im actually working on dosbox at the moment and have a test version built. If your interesting im looking for people to try it. I dont have a F200. If your interested pm me an email address.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be updating GP2X11 (which GPE uses) to have touchscreen support when I get an F200, but I'm not yet sure when that'll be.

The main problem is that a lot of developers don't have F200's, and due to GPH's screwups, don't want them either. The F100 is the developers machine with a lot of developer friendly features.

Yeah, after owning a F-100, and moving to an F-200, I can see quite a few flaws. Many great features removed, and things left broken, mainly mplayer is totally useless on the F-200 :(. Although, you can easily cross compile telnetd and some networking modules to get that up, or is this process more complex?

I'd be happy to test out any F-200 apps devs may need to test out. I am very curious about touchscreen support in X11 on the GP2X, mainly for PDA usage. I can't locate a Zaurus PDA anywhere, and the guys at hack-n-dev don't quite have my Palm TX support perfected. Using GPE on my palm was awesome, it's beats PalmOS and in some sections Windows CE/Mobile.

Does smallBasic have GP2X touchscreen support, SmallBasic on my PalmOS fully supports the touchscreen. Also, does anyone know if it is possible to add touchscreen support in sdlBasic?

Also, does the Pandora use very different APIs for the touchscreeen than the F-200 does, or would porting touchscreen software from the F-200 to the Pandora be relatively painless?

Thanks for all the information so far.

chronoboy said:
Although, you can easily cross compile telnetd and some networking modules to get that up, or is this process more complex?
The problem is not software. GPH have actually removed the chip required for USB networking (and so telnet). The only way to get access to a console is over serial, compiling drivers for a USB networking dongle or to use sterm (the last of which isn't really that feasible whilst running a game).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back