GP2X Toolchain

A few questions ;).

Did you read http://wiki.open2x.org/open2x/wiki/index.php?title=Toolchain ?

It seems you just ran ./open2x(anything).sh without realising what you may end up with :eek:. As the scripts take ages (as you no doubt noticed) it seems an odd thing to do ;).

There are a lot of scripts in there but for normal end users ./open2x-gp2x-apps.sh is about all you need to run.
The ./open2x-gp2x-kernel.sh builds a GCC3 kernel toolchain for the Open2x kernel (not the stock GPH one) so that is of no use unless you going to help us hack about with that ;).

Also, as for the libs, you could have just downloaded the most recent libpack http://wiki.open2x.org/open2x/wiki/index.p...ibrary_Packages from the O2X Wiki and installed that to saved building your own but that is just a matter of taste I guess :D. I still always build my own.
Thanks for the heads up about the possible path issues in the lib scripts, I will look into that if I get a chance.

If you feel like it would you consider adding Ubuntu 7.04/X64 notes to the Wiki so that others may be able to use them as cheat sheets? Well anything you did that was not already in the notes :D. I have been meaning to extend the build/install notes with distro specific stuff anyway but never seem to have the time.

John

EDIT: I just noticed you used the libpack in the end, hope it all works.

YakumoFuji said:
Mudi said:
Errm, I'm hoping you have gcc installed on your computer? ;)
erm.. Im hoping you can read english.
especially the part that said the system detected gcc 4.1.2 but that cross tool chain is only built for 4.1.1 and that 4.1.2 is not compatible, since toolchain/patches/gcc-4.1.2 does not exist...

but wait.. no.. I guess you cant..

Without wanting to upset anybody you do realise that HOST and TARGET GCC are 2 very diffrent things?

The system detected one is the HOST and that looks fine to me. If it failed I don't think that was your problem ;).

You can build a GCC 4.1.1 toolchain for the GP2X using those scripts with all manor of HOST GCCs (anything 3 or 4 will work). There is no toolchain/patches/gcc-4.1.2 tree for the TARGET GCC as we have not got around to testing our Open2x patch set on 4.1.2 yet but then the scripts will explicitly download what they need at the correct versions (GCC, gLibC etc.).

YakumoFuji said:
I need to test some of the scummvm agi stuff if the GSoC student is going to hack on it (I dont remember if I am supposed to help mentor this kid or not. lol)
On another note, you do realise I am the official GP2X ScummVM porter (and as such also a ScummVM dev)?

Just for reference all the GP2X ScummVM builds are made with this toolkit and I have a load of AGI/GP2X stuff that I am working through that I need to test and maybe check in at some point (mostly around the predictive text stuff).

If you’re looking to hack about with the GP2X backend I would not mind a heads up so we can ensure nothing gets done twice.

If you just looking to test AGI stuff then the GP2X is not your backend of choice at the moment (the engine is still flaky on the GP2X) ;), you would be better off with a straight Linux/SDL build of HEAD as you can easily hook that up to a debugger etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
DJWillis said:
Without wanting to upset anybody you do realise that HOST and TARGET GCC are 2 very diffrent things?

The system detected one is the HOST and that looks fine to me. If it failed I don't think that was your problem ;).

You can build a GCC 4.1.1 toolchain for the GP2X using those scripts with all manor of HOST GCCs (anything 3 or 4 will work). There is no toolchain/patches/gcc-4.1.2 tree for the TARGET GCC as we have not got around to testing our Open2x patch set on 4.1.2 yet but then the scripts will explicitly download what they need at the correct versions (GCC, gLibC etc.).
well the issue is/was that (crosstool?) said I have 4.1.2 and it doesnt handle it. It didnt explicitly download anything (now, -apps.sh did download 4.1.1). I guess my bad assumption was I could just run open2x-gp2x.sh and it would build everything, so thats what I was doing wrong :) (not reading docs and feeling blindly around)....

-apps.sh built just fine

-libs.sh was giving me the most grief, a missing file in sdl-1.2.9 and had to symlink a few directories but nothing big but still couldnt get it to work in the end. If I have some time I might poke it some more and try and nut out the root cause because I would like it to build myself without downloading the lib pack. (it keeps trying to use automake-1.4 even when there is half a dozen versions and etc/alternatives is linked to 1.10 and I have 1.9/8/7/4)

On another note, you do realise I am the official GP2X ScummVM porter (and as such also a ScummVM dev)?

Just for reference all the GP2X ScummVM builds are made with this toolkit and I have a load of AGI/GP2X stuff that I am working through that I need to test and maybe check in at some point (mostly around the predictive text stuff).

If you’re looking to hack about with the GP2X backend I would not mind a heads up so we can ensure nothing gets done twice.

If you just looking to test AGI stuff then the GP2X is not your backend of choice at the moment (the engine is still flaky on the GP2X) ;), you would be better off with a straight Linux/SDL build of HEAD as you can easily hook that up to a debugger etc..

yeah I know your the scummvm maintainer for gp2x, which is why I brought it up. I am (or should when I am not working 19hour days) be maintainer of agi engine and I'd love to do some testing on the gp2x. I dont plan on doing any commits to the gp2x side of it, I dont really have time and dont want to tread on anyones feet, but I would like to see how it goes and check the predictive input and stuff and see it on a handheld.

it makes it easier if I have the same toolchain :) plus I need to toolchain for my own gp2x gamedev stuff, so it was more convenient to use open2x.

YakumoFuji said:
yeah I know your the scummvm maintainer for gp2x, which is why I brought it up. I am (or should when I am not working 19hour days) be maintainer of agi engine and I'd love to do some testing on the gp2x. I dont plan on doing any commits to the gp2x side of it, I dont really have time and dont want to tread on anyones feet, but I would like to see how it goes and check the predictive input and stuff and see it on a handheld.

it makes it easier if I have the same toolchain :) plus I need to toolchain for my own gp2x gamedev stuff, so it was more convenient to use open2x.
Cool, nice to see more people working on the AGI engine so that's only a good thing. To be honest having another core dev with a GP2X is also great. I'll try and catch you on IRC at some point for a chat.

John

Talking about toolchain ... is there a way to use gdb over usb ethernet ??? its kind of a pain in the ass to debug only using traces.

Alain

Back