Too Much Wear From Plugging/unplugging The Usb Cable

gatekeeper

Still Fresh
Im doing development on my Wiz and every time I test a build I need to unplug the USB cable in order to reconnect to the wiz.

Is there a way to do this connect via software or through the GUI? I can't seem to find anything in the settings to connect USB
so the only way I can get to that black "Choose a disk" screen is by unplugging the USB cable.

The physical port on the Wiz doesn't seem too sturdy and I'm worried about
too much wear from my constant plugging/unplugging the USB cable.

I have similar concerns at the user level and have been doing some exploring into this subject as something of a hardware hacker.

As it is, I do all my transfers to my memory card using a card reader and I only use the cable for charging.
However, if anything happens to the connector on that cable, or ghod forbid on the Wiz, you are just plain SUNK.

For software developers a custom cable harness with some kind of a switch connected to the power and data lines would allow you to remain physically connected while still being able to electrically connect/disconnect from the computer.

I know for a fact that it is an LG cell phone connector being used on the Wiz.
The trick is to find a source of the generic connectors with all the pins present to allow for custom charger/data cable fabrication.

I tried using an old LG charger, but it is using different pins for power and the pins needed for Wiz aren't accessible, thus the need for a generic connector with all pins present to do any custom cables.

If I can find a source of generic connectors and/or get anywhere with custom cables I will post any and all information here.

Why not just attach a USB male to female male cable and keep unplugging/plugging a USB extension cable to that? I guess this might decrease the number of times you unplug from the physical port noticeably.

Edit:
Correction + illustration:
[Wiz]--[USB male to male]--[USB extension cable Female to Male]--[PC]

It's possible to "unplug" USB in software, it works with Linux at least, I do this on Wiz over serial:

to "connect":
Code:
insmod lf1000_udc.ko
umount /mnt/sd
insmod g_file_storage.ko file=/dev/mmcblk0p1 removable=1 stall=0

to "disconnect":
Code:
rmmod g_file_storage.ko
mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd

If you don't have serial cable you can make .gpe scripts out of those and run them from NAND (as it unmounts the SD to sync).

sehs33 said:
Why not just attach a USB male to female male cable and keep unplugging/plugging a USB extension cable to that? I guess this might decrease the number of times you unplug from the physical port noticeably.

Edit:
Correction + illustration:
[Wiz]--[USB male to male]--[USB extension cable Female to Male]--[PC]

Of course!
'Twere it a snake, 'twould have bitten me!

Simple and elegant...and obvious. (Probably why I missed it.) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
It's possible to "unplug" USB in software, it works with Linux at least, I do this on Wiz over serial:

to "connect":
Code:
insmod lf1000_udc.ko
umount /mnt/sd
insmod g_file_storage.ko file=/dev/mmcblk0p1 removable=1 stall=0

to "disconnect":
Code:
rmmod g_file_storage.ko
mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd

If you don't have serial cable you can make .gpe scripts out of those and run them from NAND (as it unmounts the SD to sync).

handy tip again! i think you should put up a snippet page with all your trickeries :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just do 'strings gp2xmenu', and look carefully, you'll see the commands the menu shells out to perform these operations.

Back