Too Many Firmwares

Status
Not open for further replies.
so since we bought go2x's at the beggining of its life, we can't have the latest firmware? so early users cant use their gp2x with more ease...

Sounds worrying that GPH have (or have not) released 2.1.2 and we now also have a (third party) version 3.0 .. (which sounds like a few config files changed - no major driver, etc changes?? Is this one based on 2.1.2?).

I guess GPH are going to integrate this one (3.0) into their releases?
If they do, it seems a major revision number change for little functional benefit?

I can see only bad stuff happening as a result of this; much confusion? :(

Who cares, 2.1.0 is good enough for now. Just hang on until the next major official release, all these 0.0.1 patches really do not make that big of a difference, so the average user really has no reason to upgrade.

- Alex

Is it just me or does it take exceedingly long to boot? At least 18 seconds-- and the system was already powered on when the video recording started, so it could be longer.

Well, 3.0.0 is NOT third party.
The FW is still done by GPH, with some help and ideas from craig, Fatih and me.
I did the graphical uplift, craig and Fatih did the help videos and the compressing of the software packages.
The rest is still done by GPH... and yes: It does boot longer again :(

I'm running firmware 2.1.0 and it runs just fine. I don't really see why I'd want 2.1.1, 2.1.2, or 3.0. Unless it turns out that there's something really cool for it and everything on the older firmwares works fine on them, I doubt I'll be upgrading for a while.

I did the graphical uplift, craig and Fatih did the help videos and the compressing of the software packages.
Why would anyone want to upgrade then if it takes longer to boot? Almost double the length of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did GPH change at the core of things, if anything? The last thing the firmware needs is more windowdressing at the cost of speed when basic functions are still faulty and the GUI so sluggish.

Also, why did Craig then say that you and he were the only ones working on it? :p

So it's basically just a new skin and some help stuff for noobs?

Surely there must be some other significant changes to warrant the 3.0 tag?

Also, why did Craig then say that you and he were the only ones working on it? :p
Okay - so 3.0.0+ is the latest we should (at some point) all be moving to (if we want). (BTW welcome back EC :) ).

Okay - so 3.0.0+ is the latest we should (at some point) all be moving to (if we want). (BTW welcome back EC :) ).
Thanks. :) Honestly I can't see any fuss about upgrading to it at all, or why such a big deal is being made of any of it. The bit about tutorials no one needs here (for the most part..) and that's distinct from the firmware. The software is readily available on the archive and again, is distinct from firmware. There is already skinning functionality in place in FW 2.x. No one's mentioned one real core functionality update so I don't see a reason why anyone should be clamoring to upgrade to a new firmware that will just make it take twice as long to boot up and look a little different color-wise.

Now, if the new firmware included a photo viewer that didn't crash on every 4th or 5th image (arbitrarily), made the video or audio players more stable or gave them a less illogical GUI, added support for more codecs or formats (like the WMV or WMA promised from day one that are still not supported), adding a simple software switch to unload the MMU Hack kernel module at will for greater compatibility, or did a bit of shuffling of how the PLLs operate to improve battery life, I could see those as VERY good reasons to upgrade. But it seems GPH and Co. seem to be more apt to just add features that weren't asked for, and aren't really priorities. Did anyone ask for the menus to fade? .. or for more text encoding modes? :p

I will give them this much; USB Networking was a great 'out of nowhere' addition that made sense. But since 2.0.0 such ideas have been few and far between in GPH FW updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back