Tips For A New F-200 Owner

dgonser

Still Fresh
I've spent the last 2 months reading everything I can about the previous models in hopes that when I received my F-200 I'd be ready to get up to speed pretty quickly, but it hasn't worked out that way.

If I've missed a FAQ or a thread . . . my apologies, but any help in the following areas would be great.

1. Sound volume. The F-200 is loud. I've addressed the start up sound issue by replacing a silent wave file, but I still have two issues with the sound volume. Even when no sound is being produced by the device there is a large electric hum through headphones. Similar to when a cordless headset is turned up to high. Two, I'm able to adjust the volume or turn off the volume in most applications, but the volume level isn't always saved. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the "blasts" of noise is fairly uncomfortable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I'm unable to access the internal memory of the device. It appears this was fairly simple with the predecessor, but I can't delete the games that came with the device.

3. Finally, is there a way to change splash screens, colors of wallpapers, etc without installing a front end? I thought it would be as simple as swapping out some png files, but (refer to question 2) I'm unable to access this storage location.

Thanks for any help, advice, direction.

I am also particularly interested in solutions to the first question you posted. The sound is incredibly loud, and I have a hard time not waking up my partner in the mornings due to the incredibly loud startup. How did you go about replacing your startup sound with a silent file? Thanks!

G33SE said:
I've spent the last 2 months reading everything I can about the previous models in hopes that when I received my F-200 I'd be ready to get up to speed pretty quickly, but it hasn't worked out that way.

If I've missed a FAQ or a thread . . . my apologies, but any help in the following areas would be great.

1. Sound volume. The F-200 is loud. I've addressed the start up sound issue by replacing a silent wave file, but I still have two issues with the sound volume. Even when no sound is being produced by the device there is a large electric hum through headphones. Similar to when a cordless headset is turned up to high. Two, I'm able to adjust the volume or turn off the volume in most applications, but the volume level isn't always saved. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the "blasts" of noise is fairly uncomfortable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I'm unable to access the internal memory of the device. It appears this was fairly simple with the predecessor, but I can't delete the games that came with the device.

3. Finally, is there a way to change splash screens, colors of wallpapers, etc without installing a front end? I thought it would be as simple as swapping out some png files, but (refer to question 2) I'm unable to access this storage location.

Thanks for any help, advice, direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parkydr said:
Get your silence here .

That will work on the new F200 firmware as well? I thought you weren't going to get an F200, Parkydr? Seems kind of risky to suggest that people perform untested firmware modifications, IMO. :eek:

G33SE said:
With firmware 3.0 you couldn't access the internal memory (NAND) via the GP2X but you could via USB, i'm guessing that firmware 4.0 is similar in this regard, could be be wrong though knowing what GPH are like they could have removed access to it entirely.

saehn said:
Parkydr said:
Get your silence here .

That will work on the new F200 firmware as well? I thought you weren't going to get an F200, Parkydr? Seems kind of risky to suggest that people perform untested firmware modifications, IMO. :eek:

Sorry, I assumed they hadn't changed that, on the video it's the same sound.
Has no-one tried changing their boot sound yet?

I'm hoping to have mine tomorrow too and am a complete newbie so expect questions.

I've got loads of Emus downloaded and "games" for them.

Is it as simple as whacking them on an SD card and navigating them via the F200?

The silence fix previously linked to does work. I've already implemented on my f-200.

As to the NAND memory. I'm unable to access via the USB. I don't have a cradle, but I don't see how that would change the connection.

The silence fix previously linked to does work. I've already implemented on my f-200.

That's good, I had visions of causing a mass bricking :)

If you hold down the volume control when you switch the F200 on, then it stops the startup sound being played :)

If you use any game or app that lets you put the system into a sleep mode or summit, then press left shoulder button and Select at the same time... actually not sure if that works, as it's only happened once and I had to reset.

If you want to connect your stylis/pen to the machine then you can just open the battery compartment, put the thin cord between the top of the batteries, and put cover back on machine... holds tight as owt :) Sayin' that, make sure the end is tightly screwed, cos I was swinging it around and the pen came shooting off landing in the bin, hehe

Also, no use on too slippy a surface, but you can flip the battery compartment lip upside down when you take it off, and use it to prop the GP2X up at a slight angle.

So buzzin', this is the best toy I've ever had. Feel like a Whino who's been locked in an off license :D

Did a search for getting Quake to work, does it need any SDL 'stuff', and if so which one :) Thanks

@ Damo, yeah it's as easy as unzipping your stuff/games etc on the PC side, and just dragging the folder's onto your card, probs be best using a card reader, I kept plugging my F200 into the computer and puuting new stuff on, and sucked the batteries dry in about 1 1/2 hour :( Had it switched off most of the day waiting 9 hours for a recharge, lol

Also, screens brighter and better than I could have hoped for, the speakers are loud as anything, the D-Pad is brilliant and I've got this urge to draw on it with a CD pen, weird :)

Loving Z-Tunnel :-

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,28,2353

and XRick port of Rick Dangerous :D :D ;D

anyone know how to overclock GP2Xectrum? it only clocks at 145 or 175, and all games are a quarter speed with obvious bad sound, supposed to be able to clock it to 220 MHz (mine's another that go's to 280, in that ant thing it got to 285 but with a graphical glitch and bombed at 290)... I really really need this to be a portable Spectrum :D

sorry for rambling ;)

P.S. anyone know how SimCoupe runs? I can't wait another 8 hours to charge my only 2 batteries, lol Is it OK to partially charge these type of batteries for just an hour or so? Is it safe, will it harm those or even the GP2X? And is there any suitable fast charger's us noobs should know about?

Hi all,

Should the F200 come with any batteries? Thought the site originally said it had 4 x 2500mAh rechargables.

I have some of my own (luckily) but can't find it on the site now.

Came across quite a few emulators that won't work. Going to start again and make sure I've got the latest emus for it.

Also got an 8 gig card on the way.

Back