Tinygl

slygamer

Website
Visit site
Here is the gears example from TinyGL running on the GP2X.

tinygl-gears.png

It is running at about 10fps, but it is still using floating point numbers all through the code. It has not been converted to fixed point yet. It was once again a "port until it runs" effort. This one I think has more potential than Vincent, and once it is converted to fixed point it should run quite quickly.

Nice work, 10fps sounds pretty good for a quick port. I take it's all running on the same processor?

Andrew

andrew_j_w posted on Dec 14 2005 at 12:07 AM said:
Nice work, 10fps sounds pretty good for a quick port. I take it's all running on the same processor?
All on the 920T. It is basically a straight compile of the TinyGL source with only a few changes to the one or two platform-specific files.

TinyGL does not support all OpenGL functionality, but it does support a lot of it. It might be beneficial to make it compliant with OpenGL-ES as well. But the first step will be to make it use fixed point (thanks for the links, synkro). That should hopefully get a fairly substantial speed increase.

The next thing to target would be the texture management. Currently, TinyGL always expands textures to 256x256 internally. It would be better if it could keep the textures at the input size with some restrictions imposed, such as always being square and a power of two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with that, I'm interested in all progress in the field of 3D, OpenGL specifically. Hope to see 3D made accessible to the normal homebrew developer without the need for advanced coding skills, and I think that an OpenGL port is a good step forward.

A port of TinyGL would be awesome in conjunction with the tiny lib.

But I'm assuming this is a straight SDL port from TinySDGL.

edit: TinySDGL not sdl-tinygl. sdl-tinygl was a project by chui for the gp32. ;)

It is a port of TinyGL. I have never looked at TinySDGL. My port uses Rlyeh's Minimal Library for the platform-specific code.

Edit: Actually, I'm using FredrikH's version of Rlyeh's Minimal Library so I can compile and debug on Windows as well.

slygamer posted on Dec 14 2005 at 09:59 AM said:
It is a port of TinyGL. I have never looked at TinySDGL. My port uses Rlyeh's Minimal Library for the platform-specific code.

Edit: Actually, I'm using FredrikH's version of Rlyeh's Minimal Library so I can compile and debug on Windows as well.

Then, this is most awesome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back