Time to move away from Firefox.

Git1

Very Active Member
https://forums.puri.sm/t/mozilla-buys-an-ad-metrics-company/23824

It looks like it's time to move away from firefox, as I'm very anti-google and anti-advertising/tracking. What would you guys recommend? I'd like something privacy/security focused, and I don't need fancy features, just plain old browsing functionality. i.e. I type in a URL or load a search engine. Open source would be ideal.

Reactions: rSl
Tor browser. Based on Firefox, but enhanced for privacy/security. If you are really serious about this topic there are Linux distro's created specifically for this reason. I don't have experience with those.
My approach is a hybrid one. Mostly browsing carefully but not restricted with Chrome/Chromium or Firefox, if I need more privacy/security browsing via VPN and for best privacy/security using VPN + TOR.

I am not really worried. There surely will be an option to disable any ads. If not, we'll see a fork in no time. There are already some nice forks out there anyways. Anything is better then Chrome based browsers.

The reason you don't like ads is because they are not relevant to you because you don't submit enough reviews
The reason I don't like ads is because they waste my time and obscure the actual content.

Websites went way beyond the point at which ads were tolerable.

Interesting - for my use it is probably still the best combination. I sometimes forget that my VPN is not activated and I sometimes forget that I am not using TOR :)

I don't think there is perfect privacy or security. Pretty sure if I was targeted by experts or a government they would find out my identity. AI in combination with mass data crawling will make it even easier in the future. I think everyone has a unique presence on the internet and you can't hide that via a VPN or secure browser.

The reason I don't like ads is because they waste my time and obscure the actual content.

Websites went way beyond the point at which ads were tolerable.
I agree ads and cookie warnings ruined the internet. Especially forums have really obnoxious ads.

Especially forums have really obnoxious ads.

That's why I'm a big fan of ad blockers. As an example I've never seen an ad here in all the years that I've been a member.

htcGv1fR.jpeg

• Haha
I don't trust the forum you linked to. I get a line at the top "Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply." (visiting with Pale Moon) and can't scroll.

Well, that's ironic. That's Purism's support forum :oops: (If you don't know, Purism is a company that produces privacy respecting hardware and software such as the Librem 5 phone). I just loaded that page with 'Web' browser and didn't get the warning, page loaded fine.

Back