This is why we need Open Pandora

Tavin

I want to bring this talk to your attention:

28c3: The coming war on general computation:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HUEvRyemKSg?feature=oembed

This is one of the reasons main I bought an OpenPandora. This hardware is only limited by my own stupidity not by the evilness of the company that makes it. I does what I want tell it to do. I can change my hardware. And OpenPandora Inc. does endorse this. And hell - I'm thankfull for that. And that is why I payed that few extra bucks the Pandora costs. I want tool not a toy with fruit on it.

I pretty sure you did not intend this, but thank you all that support and make OpenPandora for fighting on my side in the war on general computation.

generally interesting talk illustrating another arc of the logic of capitalist industry.

Hello

If I see a stage with a podium and a person behind the podium I run a mile, but I must admit this

is really worth a watch/listen, I watched the full hour, very interesting, thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just writing thoughts as I listen to the talk.

I rather liked the bank robber's car analogy, and that detergent sounded hilariously disastrous. :lol:

A shame that he parrotted incorrect info about the Nintendo 3DS, though (they don't brick them, they went on-record to state that back in May 2011 - not knowing this smacks of poor research). That undermined the point a bit, unfortunately, and makes me wonder how many other points lacked adequate research. It would probably have been more fitting to cover something like this issue with software on mobile telephones tracking users, instead.

SOPA as "pure stupid" was pretty funny, though.

The hearing aid part of the talk was a quite scary notion...

Those school-issued PCs sound terrifying. That is absolutely disgraceful.

The bit about not allowing computers to be traitors and spies kind of puts some sort of sci-fi story in my mind. :p

Loving the gaming analogies, here.

"Ammunition for the war"? Anyone going to be picking up a few more Raspberry Pi boxes? :p

The witchcraft point is very true. Never spotted that parallel before. And now I want sweetcorn.

Good question about fools taking a chance to freeze out alternate OSes, PS3-style...

I'm reminded of the old analogy about outlaws and guns. Except with computers. :p And the high seas!

Interesting quit-smoking technique, there! Two laptops a year's worth of cigarettes?! Blimey! I bet there's all sorts of budget-wastage that you could apply this to. :lol:

Could someone explain the "War on Drugs" thing for me? I know it's been some issue in the US, but I don't understand the analogy here.

Wow, the guy speaking now, about general-purpose computers versus appliances, he sounded a little bit like ED to me, at first. :lol:

Good question about whether the powers-that-be might come up with a "D.A.R.E."-like programme regarding computers. Will be interested to hear the answer, when he gets to this one...

Good point here about how folks overestimate how "easy" it is to jailbreak things or get stuff out of proprietary wrappers...

Answer about the "D.A.R.E." thing... VERY funny reaction from the audience to the mention of The Duchess of York ("Oh god!"). My first thought was of Budgie the Little Helicopter. :lol: This thing about the notion of making you feel bad about using computers and all that already being here, wow, that makes me feel nostalgic. That's actually how it was when I was a kid, complete with people trying to discourage and belittle my hobbies, and me as a person for partaking in them. :blink: That's almost nostalgic, in an irritating sort of way. :p

And now it's over. That was *well* worth listening to (I usually don't have the patience for things like this). Thanks for the pointer. :)

Happy to hear that you Guys liked the talk, there are tons more (the Chaos Computer Club holds this event annualy)

Could someone explain the "War on Drugs" thing for me? I know it's been some issue in the US, but I don't understand the analogy here.

-that's an Issue pretty much everywhere - most Gouverments try to abolish most drugs which turns out to be a big fail, and instead of changing strategies they do more of what does not work. It was used as an argumetn that the fact that it does not work does not mean that gouverments wont do it.

Oh, that's a great speech indeed!

I like Cory Doctorow very much, and I totally agree with him here. That's exactly why I chose to buy Pandora, not any other device.

And yes, I agree about drugs too. If a grown-up person wants to poison himself to death let him do it and let it be cheap and legal so that he wouldn't have to pay bribes, steal, murder and make criminals rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hijack the thread but wanted to point out this post on 'Learned Helplessness' which makes a good case as to why policy/law makers in the economy field are failing and is applicable to how Cory Doctorow describes policy making in the tech field (if you don't read the post make sure to watch the video on 'Learning from Failure')

http://www.eurotrib.com/story/2011/12/27/17234/915

To more fully elaborate, take from a United States citizen, has unpopular prison sentences, police raids, para-military border operations, and other overt activities to shut out the drug traffickers in and out of the country. The war on drugs is still a huge strain on resources, and the effort to kill off the drug runners is for naught .

Happy to hear that you Guys liked the talk, there are tons more (the Chaos Computer Club holds this event annualy)

-that's an Issue pretty much everywhere - most Gouverments try to abolish most drugs which turns out to be a big fail, and instead of changing strategies they do more of what does not work. It was used as an argumetn that the fact that it does not work does not mean that gouverments wont do it.

The thing is, the vast majority of drugs in America come from Mexico, if I recall. Drug cartels have ridiculous power south of the border, simply because they can afford to pay off corrupt officials. Oh, and people die by their hand quite often, too.

Back