This Is Insane.

People put down their money based on the idea of investing in a potentially amazing product that is in no way outside the realm of possibility. The people involved have credible histories and have built a trust based on them.

If they took the money and never offered any proof of comcept or videos of working preproduction models then no one would be expecting to actually receive anything. Instead they've been forthcoming, vocal and offered every bit of infor they can at every turn. vastly different form such failures/frauds as the Phantom.

I'd expect the system to be late but I do expect to eventually get mine.

MDave said:
emumanx said:
It's only money my friends:)
Remeber !!!! YOU shall be one of the very lucky people to own the rarest of all handhelds:)
Oh I wouldn't say that :p http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microvision

WTF

Screen type and resolution: 16 x 16 pixel LCD

LMAO

and again

and again

still LMAO

P.S:
to make this cleasr, i grew up with 160x192 pixel on the 8-bit atari. what kin dof games can oyu play on 16x16?

Last edited by a moderator:
Creature XL said:
MDave said:
emumanx said:
Remeber !!!! YOU shall be one of the very lucky people to own the rarest of all handhelds:)

WTF

Screen type and resolution: 16 x 16 pixel LCD

LMAO

and again

and again

still LMAO

P.S:
to make this cleasr, i grew up with 160x192 pixel on the 8-bit atari. what kin dof games can oyu play on 16x16?

i play games quite often on a homemade 20x20 pixel screen

It seems things never change over time, back in 1971 Intel's processor was ditched because of its power consumption in handhelds, in favor of Texas Instruments one.

Same thing happening in 2008, more or less :D

EDIT: Who wants to see a Microvision emulator on the pandora? ;)

Creature XL said:
I played the Microvision in a store a few times when I was a little kid.

What I recall was a decent version of Breakout.

It was the first handheld to accept interchangeable game carts, and as such, was pretty damn cool for its time.

popedeathstarye3.jpg

I've ordered two, one for me, one for my son - so I'm twice as insane as anyone else here.. :)

I have faith in the devs. They are, after all, people who have been involved with the retail distribution of GamePark products in the past and have experience of what can and does go wrong in all aspects of production/distribution.

The pandora was (at least partly) born out of the frustration they felt with what was available at the time.. so they put their heads together and came up with a solution.

I'm fascinated by the idea that this product was created by an online collection of game enthusiasts - a truly democratic venture.

Reminds me of the Apple II days, or the early Spectrum or Amiga scene.. I thought that that spirit of adventure was lost to me in these days of consumer PC blandness.

Bring it on, I say..

MDave said:
emumanx said:

Hey! I have one of those. I even have two (yes, that's 2!) cartridges: Block Buster and Connect Four. Sadly, the batteries have gone all manky inside and it doesn't work anymore. In any case, the screen ghosted so badly it was physically impossible to actually play Block Buster, other than by simply turning the knob at random and hoping.

Gmanx said:
I've ordered two, one for me, one for my son - so I'm twice as insane as anyone else here.. :)

I have faith in the devs. They are, after all, people who have been involved with the retail distribution of GamePark products in the past and have experience of what can and does go wrong in all aspects of production/distribution.

The pandora was (at least partly) born out of the frustration they felt with what was available at the time.. so they put their heads together and came up with a solution.

I'm fascinated by the idea that this product was created by an online collection of game enthusiasts - a truly democratic venture.

Reminds me of the Apple II days, or the early Spectrum or Amiga scene.. I thought that that spirit of adventure was lost to me in these days of consumer PC blandness.

Bring it on, I say..
Although I'm far too young to have seen what technology used to be like before the media/corporations took over, I completely agree with you here. Being involved in open source for several years now (Ubuntu bugtester/user/contributor) has made computing really interesting.

I preordered mine for many reasons.

One, I never got a Turbo Express back in the day because I was a very poor SOB. Ten years later still wanted one, never got one. Pandora will fill the void nicely.

Two, I haven't been as excited about a game system (amongst other things) since the Duo / PS2.

I used to play games around the clock, unfortunately or not? I don't know. But I loved it.

Call this a midlife gaming crisis, but hardly ANY games anymore interest me ... which leads me to believe that damn, maybe I am getting old. Perhaps it may be, but the Pandora will resurrect a lot of enthusiasm I once had being able to play everything I could possibly want all over again - on SHINY NEW HARDWARE!

Now, I also plan to do some online trading with it as well, when I am not playing a game with it. ;) A much better screen than any PDA.

Finally ... I had to preorder to support something that I believe in. I don't think I could had tolerated myself not preordering. I would had been in a mire of regret and sadness.

I laid down $800 USD for two and some accessories. Why? Theres nothing else out there that does everything this handheld can do. I'll bet on it.

Zor Prime said:
Call this a midlife gaming crisis, but hardly ANY games anymore interest me ... which leads me to believe that damn, maybe I am getting old.

Nah, there are still many games that come out to newer systems that will still appeal to more mature gamers.
The problem is, when you were a kid, you would play anything they'd throw at you... even those games who had dirty techniques to keep you playing (like "play it all over again with no sword, getting all coins and without dying" heheh :p)
Now you have to be more selective, and for doing so, you must know what game is trully well-made.
I'd say a pretty good example is LocoRoco and Patapon for the PSP... while they look like a kids game, they are still very well-made, and just keep you wanting to play more and more!

now as for the Pandora, you can be sure an all-in-one handheld like this is gonna get you hooked for sure. playing emulated games and homebrew were great some years back with the Zodiac, and so will with the Pandora :)

Oh, no. in fact, theres still as many good games coming out as there was back on old systems- there are just many more to wade through. some of my favorite games have been recent. I actually prefer TF2 over TFC, nostalgia and all.

Retro is fantastic, but if I was to see a game like 'Oblivion' or 'Super Mario Galaxy' the same day I saw 'Knight Lore' on the spectrum back in 1984... It would have blown my mind clear out of my head!

sabregolly said:
Retro is fantastic, but if I was to see a game like 'Oblivion' or 'Super Mario Galaxy' the same day I saw 'Knight Lore' on the spectrum back in 1984... It would have blown my mind clear out of my head!
knight lore is far more interesting than oblivion

In addition to me actually trusting the team behind this, the two main reasons I didn't hesitate a second to preorder are:

1) The specs. are 98% as I would wish the Nokia follow-up to the N800 is (it's quite similar to the next-gen Nokia which doesn't exist yet, but has been shown in the form of a Beagleboard - although Nokia will include a 3.5G part, of no or little interest to me).
1.1) The next-gen Nokia won't arrive until 2d or 3rd quarter 2009
2) The Pandora is actually very cheap compared to the Nokia Internet tablets..! (I can say this now, right? Now that I have already pre-ordered... :))

This is not insane, its a total rational investment in the gaming industry:

On the day I ordered (and paid) pandora, the EuroSTOXX50 was at 4615, today its at 3392.
If I bought european equities for 249,- EUR instead of the pandora, my investment would be worth ~183EUR as of today, still falling.

I'm pretty sure that my pandora will be worth much more than 249,- on eBay at end of november. So if I intended to sell it, I'd realize a big profit on my 249,-EUR instead of a huge loss if invested in stocks.

Now imagine the poor guy that invested in stocks in order to buy his pandora on eBay just to make sure it is no vapourware before paying for it? He might end up paying twice the price of 30.Sep because his shares halved in value.

So what every pandora buyer will realize is that his money was way better spent at the developer crew than at any bank account and will even offer a potential profit if one is needed, say, to cover losses in other banking activities.

And if all else fails, the pandora is the best entertaining device to forget about everything sad and much healthier than alcohol.

grobi

Back