This is a longshot, but... anime thread?

I somehow already knew about that, a lot of years ago I used a katakana translation table to help me play all the Dragonball RPG games from NES to SNES... I was lucky that most of the story was related to the comic book, but some parts were really tricky to understand :D
There was in particular one of the games where I was flying without directions in the map and I didn't know what to do, but some people scattered around were telling phrases really similar to each other, except for some different or repeated phonograms... I wasn't able at the time to find a translation for many of those words, but at some point one of them turned out to be "North", and the repeated one was "More"... so some of them were telling "More North" or "More More North", so after getting that I was able to identify what where the directional words in the phrases of the other people, and the "Less" word, and I was able to find the spot in the map where the game was meant to continue... it was epic !! :cool:
Very Cool!

iku 行く・いく is in fact the verb for "to go" but the "let's do" conjugation would be ikimashou 行きましょう・いきましょう.
While correct, I just wanted to clarify 行くぞ (iku zo). Like I mentioned, "zo" (ぞ) indicates emphasis, or urgency (stronger/masculine variant of "yo" (よ).

As such 行くぞ is, for example, something a father might say to urge his child to hurry up so they can go somewhere. So while it may depend a little on context this expression can most certainly be translated as "let's go".

While correct, I just wanted to clarify 行くぞ (iku zo). Like I mentioned, "zo" (ぞ) indicates emphasis, or urgency (stronger/masculine variant of "yo" (よ).

As such 行くぞ is, for example, something a father might say to urge his child to hurry up so they can go somewhere. So while it may depend a little on context this expression can most certainly be translated as "let's go".
Yeah, that was in my mind when I was responding but it didn't make sense for "let's go" because the emphasis is more like "Go!(you)" "Get out of here!(you). But we are talking about anime here... and yes definitely context.

Japanese Grammar "lets do" see 行こう.
Regardless, which "let's go" looks/sounds like "itsugo" most? ikuzo, ikouzo, or retsugo?

Last edited:
the emphasis is more like "Go!(you)" "Get out of here!(you
As you know, the subject (you) is frequently omitted and inferred from the context.

Regarding commands: "Go!" is 行け (ike) and "Get out!" is 出ろ(dero) - but again, I am aware you already know this, just adding for others reading who may be interested.

そうですね kind of does mean "I agree", but people say it a lot and it's not as strong as the English version. It definitely doesn't mean "let's see" ;)

Most of the time I reckon 行くぞ is literally "I/we will go" (with emphasis). As ClockworkCoder said, the subject is omitted.

If in doubt, I consult my better half. She soon points out if my Japanese is "ちょっと変" (a bit strange).

Incidentally a very useful phrase I know, that can answer almost any question is "さぁね" (saa ne). It's noncommittal shrug (like "hmm, good question / who knows") and can get you out of some tricky situations when suddenly asked a question (and you've not been paying attention), usually in the form "ね?" "you agree, don't you?".

When I put (you) in parenthesis I thought it would be clear that it may be omitted because it follows the format of most of my textbooks.

rushhour2.png

Watching Rush Hour 2 with Japanese Subs, this is what they chose for "Lee, hold up!"

Maybe the writer of the subs doesn't know what "hold up" means?

Context:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCuX-oY4_c

Im currently try to watch the whole Cowboy Bebop Anime bevor Netflix brings the RL Series on Friday, im now at Episode 10 ^^,
I saw this Jojo Anime on the "what is comming next" thing on Netflix, is this also good? The Artstyle is a bit strange..

I think Cowboy Bebop is probably among the best anime out there, I'm not sure Jojo's Bizarre Adventure should be even put in the same ballpark. The only thing comparable to Cowboy Bebop in my mind is Samurai Champloo from the same director. I think I checked out Kids on the Slope but that wasn't the same, and I should check out Macross Plus one of these days but I haven't yet.

I think Cowboy Bebop is probably among the best anime out there, I'm not sure Jojo's Bizarre Adventure should be even put in the same ballpark. The only thing comparable to Cowboy Bebop in my mind is Samurai Champloo from the same director. I think I checked out Kids on the Slope but that wasn't the same, and I should check out Macross Plus one of these days but I haven't yet.
Macross Plus is worth a watch, you can see Shinichirō Watanabe getting his traction as director. Another one I really enjoyed from him was Michiko to Hatchin, it's no Cowboy Bebop but it was really enjoyable and artistically a masterpiece. Also really enjoyed Space Dandy it's just fun.

Last edited:
Had fifteen bucks today, so I got an Apple gift card and resubscribed to Crunchyroll and Funimation. I might do Netflix sometime in the future.

I know this one guy who watched the first four parts of JoJo, then quit after two episodes of part five. He said it got too gay for him. I didn't argue with him, because having seen all of part five, I know it only gets worse in that regard. You've gotta be extra manly to handle the JoJo.

I think I will have a look on Jo-Jo then as I’m done whit the Cowboy Bebop Anime and the real live show ^^
Im still at Episode 14 on the Anime, but it’s seems the Real Live Show got different Story, at least if you read the description on Netflix

I think I will have a look on Jo-Jo then as I’m done whit the Cowboy Bebop Anime and the real live show ^^
Im still at Episode 14 on the Anime, but it’s seems the Real Live Show got different Story, at least if you read the description on Netflix
My initial impressions are that the live action version of CB is bloody good but it’s like Netflix did to the animé what Warner Brothers did to the Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon hahaha. Liking the inclusion of Wing Chun Kuen though, which I don’t remember from the animé (memory might be rusty on that one). Thankfully the music is just as good as in the animé.

Looks like it has a couple of small tributes to Lupin III too.

Last edited:
Back