Thinkgeek

I really hope HunterZ or someone else can get this figured out. Whoever does will be doing a great service to mankind :)

You do deserve credit for bringing the issue back up so thanks :)

Do a lot of the roms for PocketSNES work fine for other people? Seems like half of my roms don't work. Tried downloading different versions from different places but a lot of them simply won't run. Most of the good ones do, like Actraiser, Secret of Mana, etc. It's some of the more obscure ones that tend not to run. Just wondering if it's because of these issues we're seeing or if it's normal.

Are you running Cowering's GoodSNES on your ROMs to make sure they're known good ones? Also, try resetting the emulator or reloading the ROM - I've had some emulators that would freeze the first time I tried to run a game.

Okay, you've guilted me into taking a look. It appears that the compatible Wiz build was using 120MHz for the menu, and the fast build was using 300MHz. I've rebuilt both binaries using a menu speed of 533MHz (which I believe is the default Wiz CPU speed) via the OpenWiz toolchain, and have posted them as a .zip file in the following thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59770-pocketsnes-7-2-0-menu-speed-fix/

I've verified that it runs on my Wiz when launched via GMenu2X.

Edit: Whoops, realized it's supposed to be 533, not 233. Will rebuild and re-upload...

Edit 2: Fixed. Let me know if it makes a difference for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
HunterZ said:
Okay, you've guilted me into taking a look. It appears that the compatible Wiz build was using 120MHz for the menu, and the fast build was using 300MHz. I've rebuilt both binaries using a menu speed of 533MHz (which I believe is the default Wiz CPU speed) via the OpenWiz toolchain, and have posted them as a .zip file in the following thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59770-pocketsnes-7-2-0-menu-speed-fix/

Edit: Whoops, realized it's supposed to be 533, not 233. Will rebuild and re-upload...

OMG IT WORKS!!!! Thank you a million! If I had money I would paypal you some. When I do get money, I will...how about that?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

YOU, SIR, ARE A GOD!!

It works.. My ThinkGeek Wiz now runs PocketSNES.

My theory was spot on..

I'm running it from the Wiz menu via an INI file..

Your thanks is payment enough for me; I'm glad to hear it helped both of you!

Also, running PocketSNES from the Wiz's SD menu via INI file never worked for me - it would always freeze immediately. For a long time I used the "Launcher" icon on the bottom-middle of the Wiz main menu and then browsed to the PocketSNES .gpe file, then I finally started using GMenu2X instead (which I like much better for various reasons).

The launcher never worked for me, nothing did, only this patched version did..

With the ThinkGeek Wiz vs my old Wiz, which runs the normal PocketSNES fine, here's what I can deduce now.

Old Wiz: Can underclock a lot, not good at overclocking
ThinkGeek Wiz: Takes a good overclock hit, but can't underclock well..

I can launch it via .ini file fine. I have two: one for the fast version and one for the compatible version.

HunterZ said:

I am so greatful for this version. HunterZ you are the man!
SNES is working fine on my ThinkGeek WIZ now!

joeycaruzo said:
Wiz isn't more on thinkgeek stock, the emulators will continue to be updated? :huh:

I don't know, man. :(

It's kind of a sad thing, these communities tend to die off after the consoles go out of production. I never saw much development for the GP32 after the GP2X was released, and the GP32 is still a great handheld!

Well, as long there is development for the Caanoo the Wiz should get some support as well since they have very similar hardware.

jmetal88 said:
joeycaruzo said:
Wiz isn't more on thinkgeek stock, the emulators will continue to be updated? :huh:

I don't know, man. :(

It's kind of a sad thing, these communities tend to die off after the consoles go out of production. I never saw much development for the GP32 after the GP2X was released, and the GP32 is still a great handheld!

Back