Things to do when traveling in Japan

liveunderwater

熱いソース
Thought I would start a conversation about fun things to do and see in Japan. I can start, I have traveled there previously, but I'm going again soon and would hope to see some suggestions from other forum members.

Firstly, the obvious for this forum I think would be Akihabara in Tokyo. Great arcades, Super Potato, Pepper Lunch, fun hobbyist type stores. The electronics hub of Tokyo.

Still in Tokyo, Asakusa market is a great big place to find gifts and street food. Octopus balls.

From Tokyo to Kyoto and back is a great idea if you grab a JR rail pass, that trip alone adds up to almost the entire cost of buying Shinkansen tickets by themselves.

Kyoto and its markets are great on their own. From there you can easily get to Arashiyama(Bamboo groves) and Fushimi Inari-taisha the thousand shrine climb.

Just a few Tokyo/Kyoto things for starters as that's where I have been in the past. I'm heading out there in February for the Kyoto Marathon however and would like to see things I haven't previously. I'm starting in Fukuoka, to Kyoto, to Tokyo, then bouncing around for a bit before staying in Hokkaido. So... lots of options. Any suggestions, or questions?

Save money, rent a car, visit hard-off stores in the suburbs and country side.

Well... I'll be going in August. During the three weeks I'll be there, I'm spending less than a week of it in Tokyo and Kyoto. It's a big place, do some research on what you like and you'll find sidetrips for a year in the process :p

Save money, rent a car, visit hard-off stores in the suburbs and country side.

Not entirely sure how I would be saving money by renting a car but I know that with having a rail pass for 21 days I will not be renting a car. While JR rail pass only works on JR lines with a few exceptions we are planning to backpack pretty thoroughly. No car.

Well... I'll be going in August. During the three weeks I'll be there, I'm spending less than a week of it in Tokyo and Kyoto. It's a big place, do some research on what you like and you'll find sidetrips for a year in the process :p

I did actually preface the post with the fact that I have traveled to Japan previously. Furthermore,I can't really avoid Kyoto or Tokyo on this trip though I've been three times prior. My wife and I are running a marathon in Kyoto and she is flying out of Narita afterwards. Beyond that however I have a month to poke around the northern parts of the country. Although, I would really like to see a favorite Japanese band of mine in Tokyo on March 4 which may lock me into the Tokyo region for up-to a week. (Polysics by the way). Still have a pretty open window around that time period so I may sneak out to Nagano and Niigata or anything else I get someone to provide beyond my research.

Himeji castle will happen this time, I've missed it despite planning to go in the past. Ueno is great and has a nice Zoo. Baseball is out of season right now but, even if you're not a huge baseball fan, catching a Hanshin Tigers game for example is tons of fun. (I'm thinking August, they should be playing at that point)

I've looked extensively into getting onto Tashirojima, better known as "cat Island," where the cats out number the human inhabitants, but the lodging in the area is difficult and a ferry is required.

There is a pretty serious looking Beer garden in Sapporo, the Sapporo Beer garden/museum, a building erected in 1890.

Let us perhaps think less about my research for my trip personally, and more about the intended purpose of this thread. Discuss where you have been and where you would like to go in Japan.

Not entirely sure how I would be saving money by renting a car but I know that with having a rail pass for 21 days I will not be renting a car. While JR rail pass only works on JR lines with a few exceptions we are planning to backpack pretty thoroughly. No car.
You won't save money by renting a car, you need to first save money to be able to rent a car. Maybe my sentence was not clear. Anyway you mind is set so there goes this suggestion. Enjoy.

I've been 3 times in Japan (once on internship+vacation, twice on vacations). Traveling by train.
Next time I'm there, I want it to be a motorcycle trip. My best memories are in Kyushu and I want to visit it again with total freedom.

Motorcycle trip sounds amazing. My research into driving on their roadways makes the whole business intimidating, but for full adventure it is one of the few options I think would be more fun than train. I should maybe mention how important trains are to me. Massive engineering accomplishments. Sorry I misunderstood you @benoitb. While I may not be able to take advantage of a vehicle while traveling in Japan I think you do certainly have a valid idea for Japan travel in general. I suspect even more so for the European bunch.

If I'd manage to get to Japan, the first place I'd visit would be Ōkunoshima.

friday_gifdump_696_07.gif

Mmmmmmm tasty roasted bunny.

If I travel to Japan, I don't want to drive a car there.
It would take me for ever to be able to adabt to drive on the left side of the street.

Oh yeah, there is rabbit island too. I think I'll stay away from there. I own a pretty nasty scar on my hand from trying to say hello to my brother's pet rabbit. Suppose you could start an argument over which is more likely to sour your day, feral cats or wild bunnys. Okunoshima however actually has some really crazy WWII ties and still has some pretty awesome relics and museums. Tashirojima, cat island offers a photography contest.. I think thats about it.

Buy a lonely planet edition of Japan (secondhand, of course). It has some highlights of interesting spots, but also customs you need to adhere to, and some crucial words for when you can not communicate (not everybody speaks English outside cities).
Stay clear from the east-coast. Do not eat local fish, unless your geiger meter tells you it is safe.
Don't climb mount fuji alone. If you know martial arts: stay away from Nerima, Tokyo.
If you want to have an overall good time: Save up MORE money. Everything is expensive.

i recently did a trip to tokyo. Theres a train line that goes around the city (which you can buy a day pass for), which can be used to hit one place after another.
Sorry I dont remember the station names by memory.
1. Government building for free viewing of city
2. City forest park decicated to the Emperor.
3. Cross walk area (like times square.
4. Imperial palace (not much to see here)
5. Akihabra - only thing I suggest is another store called Friends. Its a bit of a walk and easy to miss but they had a nice selection with decent prices.
6. Asakusa Temple - Like you metioned nice shopping.

Back