Things I'd like to see in the next hotfix

richiz

1. MP3 playback at any time

Using M player(or someother command line music player) to play music held on a memory card. To simplify things the music would be held at Slot 1 memory card\Music.

Could this be as simple as writing a script in /etc/init.d to run at start up? The controls could be configured as shift + 1 (allowing use of left trigger) for start and stop and shift + 2 for previous, shift + 3 for next and shift + 4 for shuffle. I would not know how to watch for keys though?

• Toggle wifi in mini menu

It doesn't work in mini menu as it starts wifi then kills the app then goes back to Mmenu. So wifi has probably been activated but it's killed it before it can connect to my wifi router. I was thinking of putting a simple "wait 40 seconds" command on this as it won't matter in XFC (as you can multi task). If you start Toggle wifi in mini menu THEN switch too xfc wifi it'll then connect straight away.

• Suspend to RAM feature.

I'd love to see this so put it here for discussion. I don't think I could help in any way like the other 2.

Your MP3 playback could be accomplished rather easily through MPD/MPC and XFCE's custom keyboard shortcuts (or XBindKeys).

MPD (Music Player Daemon) is, well, a daemon that plays music. You'd have to install it (sudo opkg update && sudo opkg --force-overwrite install mpd), set up the conf file (which specifies things like where your music is), and set it to start up on boot. I *think* it'll show up in Menu->Settings->Startup once you install it.

MPC (Music Player Client) lets you control MPD from the command line. So install it (sudo opkg install mpc) and map the keys you want to 'mpd toggle' (toggles play/pause), 'mpc next', 'mpc prev', and 'mpc random'.

To map the keys you can use either XBindKeys (helpfully precompiled for the Pandora) or through XFCE's settings with [Menu->Settings->Keyboard->Application Shortcuts].

Note: I don't actually have my Pandora yet (should be here in the next week or two) to have tested any of this, but I use this setup for playing music on my laptop.

Note 2: I have no idea if these packages will actually fit on the NAND or not. You may have to run your OS from an SD card for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back