Thing Question.

PoisonedV

Yeah, I'm a GIRL gamer, what of it?
Website
Visit site
I'm not good at titling things. Or using words. But what I got to ask is, should I just start programming fenix games or applications and whatnot for computer before I start using the SDL or whatever to program for the GP2X?

PoisonedV posted on Oct 25 2006 at 11:42 PM said:
I'm not good at titling things. Or using words. But what I got to ask is, should I just start programming fenix games or applications and whatnot for computer before I start using the SDL or whatever to program for the GP2X?

if you know fenix then yes.
it really depends on what youll be making though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Games, eventually, I hope. I havent had much experience in coding besides GML, Actionscript, the typical web design languages, and a failed delve into C++.

PoisonedV posted on Oct 26 2006 at 04:37 AM said:
Games, eventually, I hope. I havent had much experience in coding besides GML, Actionscript, the typical web design languages, and a failed delve into C++.
I would give fenix a go, it's an easy language that really will give you experience before moving onto something like C.

Ok, thanks. Also, I'm going to ask a couple more questions:

Where can I get some good resources for learning it? (yes, I did search the forums >:{ )

And, is there an IDE?

Nevermind the second one. I just wish I knew spanish.

PoisonedV posted on Oct 26 2006 at 04:37 AM said:
Well, SDL requires C or C++ so you can't do that then. I'd do fenix.

Thanks for thw link.

Also, what exactly IS the SDL anyway? I know it makes programming GP2X games easier for some of those languages.

Shikaku posted on Oct 26 2006 at 12:19 PM said:
PoisonedV posted on Oct 26 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Thanks for thw link.

Also, what exactly IS the SDL anyway? I know it makes programming GP2X games easier for some of those languages.

Google is your friend. Please use search more often.
On a related note, SDL is a C/C++ library that handles graphics, sound, and key input (among other things) in a very friendly manner.

Fenix is written with the help of SDL itself, and is a standalone language. The same Fenix program that runs on the PC can be run on the GP2X/GP32, with no modifications, provided it is coded at the appropriate screen resolution.

- Alex

it depends on your goal. fenix is good for simple games, and don't want to be confronted with the harder things of programming (and with extensive languages that can be complicated).
but if you're serious about programming, learning c++ and using it with sdl might be better. but it'll take a lot longer before you can make something :).

Back