The Ur-quan Masters V0.5.0 Released

The 3DO Voices work with this release. However, two bugs:

- Adjusting Voice volume in the Audio Setup menu (from the UQM startup menu Settings options) does not actually adjust voice volume. I had to take off the headphones during Command Hayes' braying about "radioactives".

- Pressing Right during dialogue ought to "skip" to the next speech segment and subtitle page. Instead, pressing Right jumps to the last subtitle page while the speech continues without jumping forward.

BTW, this may not be part of the official codebase, and therefore may be a hard feature, but it would be nice to adjust the master volume with the GP2X volume control.

Great port, well done, and a perfect fit for the GP2X! This is worth some serious geek cred - I doubt the PSP or NDS can do this.

Yeah... I'm not sure what to do about the voices at the moment. I'm going to try and compile the latest CVS build now and see what state everything is in from there then move forward.

High on my list is making the volume keys work in game. I have no idea how hard that's going to be, so not sure when it'll be ready. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been messing around with the melee mode too, it's great fun. I couldn't figure out how to exit it though. Is there a shortcut?

I haven't been able to find a key to exit the Super Melee mode. If I find a place to add that, I'll set it up. It might be as simple as being an option in keys.cfg that I overlooked.

For exiting:
Code:
Exit: KEYCODE
Which on my current Windows installation is the following:
Code:
Exit: key F10
Which then spawns a little "Quit?" dialogue, answerable by YES or NO with the Menu-select key, which would be A on the GP2x.

Also, in Super Melee, you could hit the red "X" icon while selecting a ship (it is below the question mark), This will also allow you to quit the game.

Anyways, Foehammer, I recommend you hang out a bit on #sc2 on freenode (irc.freenode.org) and ask a bit around there, since the developers hang around there and can most likely help you around a bit. Myself, I quickly asked the question about the voices, and I got a tip that you might want to check out "the function for determining the current position in the sound stream", to see if it was properly implemented, because "it's 'start-and-forget' for most other places. For comm, to place the subtitles at the right time, and move the slider, it will have to find out how much of the sample has been played" (Quote Meep-Eep)

Megagun, you're the man! Added that to the keys.cfg and now 'Select' exits Super Melee mode. Here's the new keys.cfg file I'm using if anyone is interested.

Code:
# Default UQM input configuration file.

# This is a VCONTROL version 2 config file (UQM 0.5 or later).
version 2

# This is the GP2X Joystick configuration file.
#
# The default configuration allows you to turn and thrust with the 
# joystick in both ship and lander modes.  You can also thrust with 
# the 'R' button if you prefer.
#
# Button A = Primary Weapon and Menu Select
# Button Y = Secondary Weapon
# Button B = Lander / Ship Escape
# Start = Brings up menu or takes you back a step in the menu

# JOYSTICK UP			(0)
# JOYSTICK DOWN		  (4)
# JOYSTICK LEFT		  (2)
# JOYSTICK RIGHT		 (6)
# JOYSTICK UPLEFT		(1)
# JOYSTICK UPRIGHT	   (7)
# JOYSTICK DOWNLEFT	  (3)
# JOYSTICK DOWNRIGHT	 (5)
# JOYSTICK CLICK		 (18)
# BUTTON A			   (12)
# BUTTON B			   (13)
# BUTTON X			   (14)
# BUTTON Y			   (15)
# BUTTON L			   (10)
# BUTTON R			   (11)
# BUTTON START		   (8)
# BUTTON SELECT		  (9)
# BUTTON VOLUP		   (16)
# BUTTON VOLDOWN		 (17)

joystick 0 threshold 2   # How far to move before it counts; 0-30000

Exit: joystick 0 button 9

Menu-Left: joystick 0 button 2
Menu-Right: joystick 0 button 6
Menu-Up: joystick 0 button 0
Menu-Down: joystick 0 button 4
Menu-Cancel: joystick 0 button 8
Menu-Select: joystick 0 button 12
Menu-Page-Up: joystick 0 button 10
Menu-Page-Down: joystick 0 button 11
Menu-Zoom-In: joystick 0 button 10
Menu-Zoom-Out: joystick 0 button 11

Player-1-Left: joystick 0 button 2
Player-1-Left: joystick 0 button 1
Player-1-Left: joystick 0 button 3
Lander-Left: joystick 0 button 2
Lander-Left: joystick 0 button 1
Lander-Left: joystick 0 button 3
Player-1-Right: joystick 0 button 6
Player-1-Right: joystick 0 button 7
Player-1-Right: joystick 0 button 5
Lander-Right: joystick 0 button 6
Lander-Right: joystick 0 button 7
Lander-Right: joystick 0 button 5
Player-1-Thrust: joystick 0 button 10
Player-1-Thrust: joystick 0 button 0
Player-1-Thrust: joystick 0 button 7
Player-1-Thrust: joystick 0 button 1
Lander-Thrust: joystick 0 button 10
Lander-Thrust: joystick 0 button 0
Lander-Thrust: joystick 0 button 7
Lander-Thrust: joystick 0 button 1

Player-1-Weapon: joystick 0 button 12
Lander-Weapon: joystick 0 button 12
Player-1-Special: joystick 0 button 14
Player-1-Escape: joystick 0 button 13
Lander-Escape: joystick 0 button 13

# And now the POV hat controls.
#Menu-Left: joystick 0 hat 0 left
#Player-1-Left: joystick 0 hat 0 left
#Lander-Left: joystick 0 hat 0 left
#Menu-Right: joystick 0 hat 0 right
#Player-1-Right: joystick 0 hat 0 right
#Lander-Right: joystick 0 hat 0 right
#Menu-Up: joystick 0 hat 0 up
#Player-1-Thrust: joystick 0 hat 0 up
#Lander-Thrust: joystick 0 hat 0 up
#Menu-Down: joystick 0 hat 0 down

I will make sure to stop in #sc2 if for nothing else then to say thanks.

- Pressing Right during dialogue ought to "skip" to the next speech segment and subtitle page. Instead, pressing Right jumps to the last subtitle page while the speech continues without jumping forward.
Using left and right during dialogs seemed to work properly for me.

I've been messing around with the melee mode too, it's great fun. I couldn't figure out how to exit it though. Is there a shortcut?
I haven't been able to find a key to exit the Super Melee mode. If I find a place to add that, I'll set it up. It might be as simple as being an option in keys.cfg that I overlooked.
When I was fiddling around with Super Melee, I couldn't seem to find any good way of removing a ship from the roster other than trying to replace it and then hitting Start while the ship list is up, which didn't seem very obvious. Perhaps there's another key here that should be bound?

Otherwise, this port is excellent! Great work :)

--Zero

When I was fiddling around with Super Melee, I couldn't seem to find any good way of removing a ship from the roster other than trying to replace it and then hitting Start while the ship list is up, which didn't seem very obvious. Perhaps there's another key here that should be bound?

Hmm.. Unbound menu delete key..
Code:
Menu-Delete: KEYCODE
which is on my WinXP installation:
Code:
Menu-Delete: key Delete

Other unbound that might be useful keys:
Code:
Pause: 
Menu-Zoom-In: 
Menu-Zoom-Out:
Pause pauses the game (although you could ofcourse 'pause' too with the Exit button), and Zoom-In and Zoom-Out allow you to zoom in and out the Starmap when you're looking at it in the game. Might be useful at times, such as when going to Vela.

It'd be nice if you could hold multiple keys for these kind of things. I'm thinking of maybe SELECT and VOLUP/DOWN change the zoom, etc...

Anything you ever wanted to know about the ships in Star Control 2:
http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.c...sc2shipspic.htm (Very extensive ship info)
http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sc2/aliens/ (Basic ship info and some alien info coming with it; pictures don't seem to work anymore)
http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/Category:Ships (Ultronomicon's ship list. Be sure though that clicking a race's name in any of the pages that page links to may contain SPOILERS. If you only know the racename a ship corresponds to, see http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/List_of_ships)

I changed the key mapping for the original port (so that it made more sense to me), here's the file http://home.hccnet.nl/vande.berg/keys.cfg. It also contains a list of which number corresponds to which key on the GP2X to assist manual editing.

I seem to be having some problems with this version. Does anyone use it with the 2.1.1 firmware?

Regards.

I changed the key mapping for the original port (so that it made more sense to me), here's the file http://home.hccnet.nl/vande.berg/keys.cfg. It also contains a list of which number corresponds to which key on the GP2X to assist manual editing.

I seem to be having some problems with this version. Does anyone use it with the 2.1.1 firmware?

Regards.

I run on 2.1.1. What's happening with yours? I'll try to duplicate it.

Regards.

I run on 2.1.1. What's happening with yours? I'll try to duplicate it.

Thx for the info! I get a black screen and that's it. I'll try a few tings asap as well. Might be my SD card, or maybe I should just copy the files again. (It worked before the update to 2.1.1, but I was using my other SD card at that time).

This port is amazing, thanks so much! Now the GP2X is truly killer.

Dude! Nice.

Just one question, do you have a paypal address? This is one sweet port that will prolly get completed this time! Never completed the game on the 3do, and never completed it on the PC either, I got pretty far, but meh, real life issues meant i never got the time, look forward to beating this one on the go, cos commutes are a bitch!

Dude! Nice.

Just one question, do you have a paypal address? This is one sweet port that will prolly get completed this time! Never completed the game on the 3do, and never completed it on the PC either, I got pretty far, but meh, real life issues meant i never got the time, look forward to beating this one on the go, cos commutes are a bitch!

I certainly appreciate the thought, but I couldn't accept a donation for such a small contribution. The real folks that desesrve donations are the folks that handled the initial porting of the source to SDL and all the improvements over these past few years. I suppose Toys for Bob got their part from the original game sales... ;)

I only did it because I love the game and it feels great just knowing that others are enjoying it as well. We've had some crazy stuff going on at work this week, but hopefully I'll find some time soon to get a couple of small things done... like the ability to adjust the volume with the buttons omg!

Good luck finishing the game this time around. :)

I ... am ... in HEAVEN. :)

I haven't tried this before for some ungodly reason but I downloaded it today and also ran over to sourceforge for the voice and 3DO sound files. This was one of the 4 reasons I owned a 3DO(Wing Commander 3, Return Fire and Lucienne's Quest were the other 3 greats).

Everything works! The Ur-Quan sound deadly.. the commander sounds whiny and Fwiffo... is Fwiffo!! Off to play more! :)

I have noticed an odd problem with this port - I get occasional lockups, usually when I am entering orbit with a planet. This appears random - at first I thought it was something to do with the Spathi base on the moon but it worked the second time. Any thoughts?

Allan.

Classic Gamer posted on Dec 1 2006 at 02:40 AM said:

I haven't tried this before for some ungodly reason but I downloaded it today and also ran over to sourceforge for the voice and 3DO sound files. This was one of the 4 reasons I owned a 3DO(Wing Commander 3, Return Fire and Lucienne's Quest were the other 3 greats).

Everything works! The Ur-Quan sound deadly.. the commander sounds whiny and Fwiffo... is Fwiffo!! Off to play more! :)
Wait, so you got Voice package to work? With subtitles, or without them..?

Oh, and Muncher: yes, there does indeed seem to be a random crash when you try to land on a planet... Luckily it doesn't happen all the time..

Megagun posted on Dec 2 2006 at 11:48 AM said:
Classic Gamer posted on Dec 1 2006 at 02:40 AM said:

Wait, so you got Voice package to work? With subtitles, or without them..?

I downloaded the file uqm-0.5.0-voice.zip from the website, changed the extension to .uqm and dropped it into the packages directory. It worked without any other intervention from me.

I don't know if this answers your subtitles question but the text from the PC version now freezes at the first frame until they are done talking. This can be inconvenient but if I miss anything I just hit start after they finish the speech and I can read the text from it.

This is a great port - has easily become my used and played game on the gp2x... by some margin!

A couple of things though:

- I also suffer from the entering/leaving orbit lockup bug sometimes (1-2 occurances in a week or so of playing)

- More strangely, I also very occasionally get a very annoying bug during combat. I enter combat and my ship is uncontrolable, is rotating in a jerky and unpredictable way and I can only fire once out of every five or so button presses. I'm so early into the game that I'm only using the main 'mothership' for combat so I dunno if it happens with other ships. I also can't remember if this is part of the game... do any of the other ships have the ability to completely mess my controls up? I seem to remember one of the ships can slow you down or stop you from rotating as much but this is MUCH worse and feels a lot more like a bug. Any ideas?

Apart from that - excellent work! :D :D :D :D

The Melnorme Trader ship (which you won't likely fight with anyways) has the ability to make you immobile by rotating your ship constantly to the right (not jerky and unreliable though), and makes you unable to use the special attack (which you probably don't have yet for your Mothership)...

Strange bug, though. Haven't ever heard of it.. :/

Back