The Tube app no longer working?

It works but I have no clue to proper use the Tube. Strange concept, strange GUI, strange behaviour. ^^ "

I found the Vid I want to play but I can't do much with the actual Tube player, no player options, always full screen, how do I control the actual player? And which one should I select from the various ones? And why does it not stream correctly even now that I have good WiFi? It streams (buffers) OR plays, never both.
you can get help for the tube browser with "h"

the actual player is mpv (a fork of mplayer). mplayer is also available but mpv should work best. You can find the controls on the web i guess but the most useful are: right, left: skip forward backward, 9,0: volume control, <,>: next prev movie, space: pause

I am not sure why it should have trouble buffering. What is your typical wifi download rate? Have you tried lower video quality? Maybe you need a slight overclock. It could also be that the video you tried had a colorspace not optimized in the mpv player (this leads to severe slowdown). I did at some point raise the cache size, if you have the latest version you should be ok...

My WiFi is not the best but for only 360p Videos the average ~100kb/s should be enough. I found the help screen of course but it has not all options shown. It also seems you can switch the player or so, not sure what to use at best. It's a little bit confusing that the player has no hud elements at all.

I usualy run my Pandora at 700MHz during online activities. 360p also plays fine actualy, only the buffering sucks, even with swap file enabled.

ok, maybe there is something in the pndrun (/tmp/pndrun_thetube.out)??

Some feedback:

- could you focus the application on the text field when it starts, so that we can start typing what we want to look for ?

- when "buffering" for the video to load, why not show a simple animation (loading circle or something) so that the user gets visual feedback while waiting ?

Otherwise works very well :)

I put a version with increased cache size on the repo (and the changed search bar behaviour). btw I noticed I had very severe slowdowns on my wifi (normally good for ~1MB/s) whenever another machine was pulling data (leading to stutter even with the increased cache). Downloads with pndmanager might stall for ~20 sec or more. I fooled around a bit with my router settings, turning on RTS protect..I think this improved it quite a bit (slowdown, but no stall on the download, no stutter). So it may pay to have a look at your router settings...

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a version with increased cache size on the repo (and the changed search bar behaviour). btw I noticed I had very severe slowdowns on my wifi (normally good for ~1MB/s) whenever another machine was pulling data (leading to stutter even with the increased cache). Downloads with pndmanager might stall for ~20 sec or more. I fooled around a bit with my router settings, turning on RTS protect..I think this improved it quite a bit (slowdown, but no stall on the download, no stutter). So it may pay to have a look at your router settings...
Somehow I have a feeling that this version stutters a lot more than the previous one. Also the buffertime is way longer, it feels like ages before the video starts (and often stutters immediately). Is there a way to revert to the old behaviour?

Also I'm still longing for a way to copy the url for the youtube movie to the clipboard so  that I can paste it elsewhere, you mentioned earlier that would be simple to make. Could you? For me? Please? *Puppy Eyes* :)

Somehow I have a feeling that this version stutters a lot more than the previous one. Also the buffertime is way longer, it feels like ages before the video starts (and often stutters immediately). Is there a way to revert to the old behaviour?

Also I'm still longing for a way to copy the url for the youtube movie to the clipboard so  that I can paste it elsewhere, you mentioned earlier that would be simple to make. Could you? For me? Please? *Puppy Eyes* :)
hmm, the only thing that changed is the max size of the cache..so that should not cause the stutter..can you try pressing space (pausing) right when playback starts (giving it time to fill up the cache) also, you sure you are using mpv? I might have a look at other cache settings, but like I mentioned above in the end there also other factors (router settings and network use) that can affect playback (of course, if you have enough bandwidth there should be a way to get the player to behave  :angry: )

still planning to have a look at the url link..next update promise  :rolleyes:

Sepulep, the youtubedl update function still does not work, anything you can do about it?
must be something silly..it works here and I cannot see anything obviously wrong with the script or permissions (can you post the output when trying to update, if it doesnt finish it may be at /tmp/youtube-dl_update , and mabe also an ls -l of the /mnt/utmp/thetube/bin ??)

btw by default it will use the faster pafy library instead of youtube-dl to retrieve the movie urls (but still use youtube-dl for downloads)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back