The Scribble Pen

Fzero

Advanced Member
I thought this was already posted about, but a search didn't show any results for "scribble" or "https://thescribblepen.com"

So, might be of interest to some of you artist types.

They doing it in a couple of styles, one is for drawing on digital tablets, the other more a traditional pen for use on paper.

The unique thing is it can instantly clone pretty much any colour by simply scanning it with the pen itself, you can then start drawing in that colour.

I'd love one, though pretty costly at launch. Perhaps in time I will grab me one.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/y2aJuuIsots?feature=oembed

Nice gimmick but probably does not have many real applications. Looks like fun for a bit and then it would just sit in a drawer lying idle.

Interesting tech though.

I must be getting old but your avatar is very flicky/flashy MR F-Zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
F-Zero's avatar is now a sort of giffified version of a ZX-spectrum loading screen - just be thankful you can't hear it.  As such, I think it's perfectly suited to this forum.

I'd be interested to know how this works.  While scanning a colour is relatively old tech, as far as I know we don't have perfect cyan, magenta, yellow dyes that all mix well with each other, so in practice you need dozens of colours to be able to replicate most common colours well, and even then there'll be odd colours you can't reach.  Or perhaps that's just FUD by the paint manufacturers; I'd be interested to find out either way.

As an artist this is just the kind of toy I would be thrilled to find in a stocking...

I wouldn't spend any money on it though. In Natural media I can only see it getting minor use, but that may be just the way I work... I personally like to be a bit rough when applying colour, and have no problem mixing the colours I need from pigment.

(I would be all over this if they made it into an ulra-portable airbrush that required no external compressor... it would still have limited application as you would deplete your cartridges in no time flat)

When it comes to linework, i prefer working in single tone or two-tone... However, this pen may be very handy in doing detail work as the final step in a natural media piece... I.e. doing sharp highlights, shadow definition, or adding visual texture... in terms of adding texture, if you could scan a colour and then with a rocker switch adjust the brightness of the colour, or with another rocker switch, adjust the saturation level.... that would be really ace!

Digitally, it doesn't look like it has any pressure sensitivity... so what's the point? You can easily lift colour from a snapshot.

All in all, this is just a fun toy... and unless the cartridges are really cheap (I'll bet you the opposite), it would eventually sit unused as the money for cartridges would go to more useful applications.

Oh I didn't know about that, does seem suspect. Kind of glad I didn't back it now, had I the cash spare when I first see it I may well have put some down on it.

And yeah my avatar I done other day to resemble the classic Speccy game loading screens, which I have fond memories of ... waiting 20 mins for it to load, watching those hypnotic lines dance to the scratchy rhythm ... only for it to crash out half the time :)  Probably why that famous Speccy zine was named Crash, eh?

@Wrath of Khan does it affect your eyes much? I will swap it to a static version again if it does

Oh I didn't know about that, does seem suspect. Kind of glad I didn't back it now, had I the cash spare when I first see it I may well have put some down on it.

And yeah my avatar I done other day to resemble the classic Speccy game loading screens, which I have fond memories of ... waiting 20 mins for it to load, watching those hypnotic lines dance to the scratchy rhythm ... only for it to crash out half the time :)  Probably why that famous Speccy zine was named Crash, eh?

@Wrath of Khan does it affect your eyes much? I will swap it to a static version again if it does

I remember crash magazine, yes. I once pulled a bunch of crash mags, zzap c64 and Ace magazines out of a neighbours bin. To think that they were throwing them away. It was like gold-dust to me with the lovely artwork on the covers. I read them all. I remember waiting for my friends  c64 to load. Similar screen patterns and interminable wait. Oddly the flicky avatar is a bit annoying on the eyes, but I can live with it.

Yeah, seems the scribble guys are big-time fraudsters. But how did they think they would get away with it a second time?

Now a tribble pen that would be something.

giphy.gif

Back