The Official Pyra Handheld Community Video Thread

I must have missed something here in the forum because I didn’t realise it was necessary to plug in a power supply cable in order to boot the Pyra?
Also, is/will it be possible to actually boot from an SD card rather than eMMC?
Next question: is there a preset keyboard shortcut for opening the Terminal? If not, I imagine the End User can make a custom one?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you mention that shortcut at ~14:00 in your video.
Speaking of boot, is/will it ever be possible to boot the Pyra from USB?
And can someone please explain to me why we only get USB2 speeds from the USB3 port?

Last edited:
It’s not necessarily to plug in a cable whyle booting, but I wanted to explain a bit how to charge , you can also boot whitout a USB Power Source..
whe have only USB2 because the OMAP 5 ditnt had enough IO Ports to drive 2 SD Card Readers and USB3 ..
it’s at the moment just a USB2 /SATA Port in a USB3 Port , it’s needs an extra SATA Adapter

We do have USB3 on the wide micro USB port, but yeah the type A port which is coloured blue like a USB3 port is actually a USB2 port with SATA lines wired to the superspeed pins. You can expose these to a eSATA port using the adaptor you can buy.

It’s not necessarily to plug in a cable whyle booting, but I wanted to explain a bit how to charge , you can also boot whitout a USB Power Source..
whe have only USB2 because the OMAP 5 ditnt had enough IO Ports to drive 2 SD Card Readers and USB3 ..
it’s at the moment just a USB2 /SATA Port in a USB3 Port , it’s needs an extra SATA Adapter
Thanks for answering those questions! Am I right in thinking that the charge port is microUSB 3.0 (with USB3 speeds), or is it still USB2 speeds?
Yeah, I remember someone (apologies, I’ve forgotten whom) proposing to produce the extra SATA adapter - I’ll have to order one!
Post automatically merged:

wide micro SD port
I’m guessing you mean the microUSB 3.0 port?

Last edited:
Yes, I meant the wide micro USB port, which is type-B by default because the USB type-A micro types weren't carried forward to USB3. I miswrote when I wrote micro SD and I've now edited it to correct it.

Yes, I meant the wide micro USB port, which is type-B by default because the USB type-A micro types weren't carried forward to USB3. I miswrote when I wrote micro SD and I've now edited it to correct it.
No worries, glad to be of service ;) Haha, so that just leaves my last question, which is if the OMAP5 looks to see if the SD cards are bootable, presumably if we insert a live SD card we could boot from it?

If by charge port you mean the port above the type-A full sized USB port, that is only USB2, and I think only exposes debugging information via its data lines if you care about that. Micro USB 3.0 are wider than micro-USB type-B 2.0 ports, and if you plug a USB2.0 micro-type B into them will act as a USB2 port, and only act as a USB3 port if you plug in a wider micro-USB 3.0 plug into it.

No worries, glad to be of service ;) Haha, so that just leaves my last question, which is if the OMAP5 looks to see if the SD cards are bootable, presumably if we insert a live SD card we could boot from it?
Yes, I believe the left SD card slot is searched by the bootloader for a bootable image, which is why it's important to not mark your partitions on that card as bootable. Many developers were booting from that slot while the OS was in flagrante.

If by charge port you mean the port above the type-A full sized USB port, that is only USB2, and I think only exposes debugging information via its data lines if you care about that. Micro USB 3.0 are wider than micro-USB type-B 2.0 ports, and if you plug a USB2.0 micro-type B into them will act as a USB2 port, and only act as a USB3 port if you plug in a wider micro-USB 3.0 plug into it.

Yes, I believe the left SD card slot is searched by the bootloader for a bootable image, which is why it's important to not mark your partitions on that card as bootable. Many developers were booting from that slot while the OS was in flagrante.
Yes, quite right I should have specified “micro” - I’m talking out of my tree calling it “Type B”; that’s for printer etc. cables! :$ I shall likewise correct my erroneous statements!
Sure, you have to have the wider format plug if you want to benefit from USB 3.0 speeds but the essential point is that that port can provide those speeds.
Pity in a way that we don’t have any microUSB 3.0 flash drives :(

I have a hard disc with a microUSB 3.0 port on it, and a USB enclosure with a full-sized type-B USB 3.0 port on it, but the other end of both of the cables that came with those are just plain old type-A full-sized USB 3.0 plugs.

I have a hard disc with a microUSB 3.0 port on it, and a USB enclosure with a full-sized type-B USB 3.0 port on it, but the other end of both of the cables that came with those are just plain old type-A full-sized USB 3.0 plugs.
Sorry, I meant as in USB sticks - like your usual USB flash memory stick but with a male microUSB 3.0 plug instead of a male USB-A or USB-C plug. I guess microUSB 3.0 just isn’t a common enough form factor but then you don’t really see microUSB 2.0 USB sticks either.

This Video was just the beginning of maybe a Series of Tutorials, whe will have a lot of new users so maybe it should make sense..
also it was not that Organized as I wanted, so I don’t know if the things I wanted to tell even got transport in this video..
Maybe I should had named the buttons on the combination.. one of the Shoulderbuttons is mapped to fn (Funktion) one is shift, one is ctrl and another should be alt…

So brightness is : brightness button = display brighter , fn + brightness button = Keyboard brighter and when you push shift it’s makes it dimmer , so shift + fn + brightness button = Keyboard dimmer…
Etc

Sorry, I meant as in USB sticks - like your usual USB flash memory stick but with a male microUSB 3.0 plug instead of a male USB-A or USB-C plug. I guess microUSB 3.0 just isn’t a common enough form factor but then you don’t really see microUSB 2.0 USB sticks either.
Yes, I understood what you meant, I was just riffing on other uses of the USB3 connectors I have on my kit.

Last edited:
Back