The Game of Likes (Split from some thoughts thread) (Update)

Christoph.Krn

Advanced Member
So, here's an interesting question:

What do all of you think might happen if we removed the "Like This" system again?

The reason that I'm asking is that /I/ believe that the chances are high that there would be positive effects on the discussion culture, the visibility of cool news, and the trolling weather alike. A "Likes" system is not a GOOD THING™ for technical/geeky discussions just because "social" networks went through the roof.

Edit-2015-04-22T2353Z: This thread was split out from Some thoughts about the board/URL]

Edit-2015-04-22T2353Z: Try it out for real and make the "Like" system of boards.openpandora.org become invisible in your browser:

Firefox/Iceweasel (should be similar for Palemoon, but I haven't tested):

Download the userContent.css file that's attached to this post, and save it into the following place (then restart your browser):

• Linux: /home/<username>/.mozilla/firefox/<browserprofile>/chrome/userContent.css(If the "chrome" directory does not exist, create it. In case there is already a different userContent.css file, resort to the alternative method described below.)
  • Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\<browserprofile>\chrome\userContent.css(If the "chrome" folder does not exist, create it. In case there is already a different userContent.css file, resort to the alternative method described below.)
To uninstall, delete the userContent.css file.
Alternative method: Install a Greasemonkey-compatible userstyle Add-on, such as Greasemonkey for Firefox, then drag-and-drop the unzipped(!) dbboards-nolikes.user.js file from below anywhere into your browser window.

Chrome/Chromium:

Download the dbboards-nolikes.user.js.zip file that's attached to this post. Unzip it. (The file is zipped because this forum wouldn't have allowed me to upload it otherwise.)

In your browser's menu, select "Tools" -> "Extensions". Then, drag-and-drop the unzipped(!) dbboards-nolikes.user.js file into the "Extensions" page that will be displayed in the browser.

To uninstall, click the respective trashcan icon in the "Extensions" list (no trashcan icon will be visible if you haven't installed dbboards-nolikes.user.js yet, or at least one other extension).

Other browsers / operating systems:

Complain, and I'll see what I can do.

View attachment userContent.css

View attachment dbboards-nolikes.user.js.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
So, here's an interesting question: What do all of you think might happen if we removed the "Like This" system again?
Most likely my post count would be doubled since I would be posting small and trivial things like Awesome! or nice! adding clutter to the discussion. 

I liked your post for the fun of it.

So, here's an interesting question: What do all of you think might happen if we removed the "Like This" system again?
Most likely my post count would be doubled since I would be posting small things like Awesome! or nice!...
...exactly, no more abundance of "dickhead" posts (as Ziz phrased it).
The coolest topics would keep floating at the top, too.

Edit: TraghyMG's post has been edited after I quoted it in its entirety.

What do all of you think might happen if we removed the "Like This" system
+1
A+++++ Would comment again.
Fail.
Well... Likes as Dislikes.
I understand that you disagree with me, but I'd also like to know what you actually think about this suggestion (Thanks TrashyMG and Levi!). I cannot look into your heads, so a simple "No." (or rather, a "Dislike-Like" type of comment) doesn't really tell me anything, not even whether I can take you seriously, or whether or not you're actually interested in lively discussions.

If you think about that, you will realize that it's actually the same type of problem which has led some a developer to be disappointed about feedback in recent times, the meaninglessness and obscurity of "Likes". Developers are not simply receiving less valuable feedback because there are fewer users (there are still enough people here). The last time that you've clicked "Like This" on a large-ish software announcement, what would you have done instead had there not been a "Like This" button? Maybe nothing, but chances are that some of the others, just anyone really, would instead have written a line or two. Why not just try out what will happen to the discussion culture of this place if we just ignore this forum's "Like" system for a week or two? Or at the very least, I would like to encourage everyone (that includes you, you individual over there!) to experiment with thinking twice before clicking "Like This", about whether you should rather /actually/ express your very personal thoughts, experiences, or concerns, by expressing them in a post. As far as many developers are concerned, just a handful of words (that's about 5!) can be much, much more meaningful feedback (no matter what "meaningful" means to each developer) than an equal number of "Likes".

I actually use the "Like" button only as a bookmark...

inevitably, if I bookmark something it means I like it :D

Was there some announcement somewhere sometime that I missed about the "like" function? I never noticed it, didn't know it excited until mentioned in this thread... For me the problem is theres TO MUCH STUFF GOING ON ALL TIME, and I don't have energy to plow through so many threads in so many sections and so on, I just bookmarked the PandoraLive blog though, but I would still want an official magazine non the less!

I initally didn't like the look of the 'Like this' button due to its social media connotations, but actually I find it useful for those things where I really don't have much to say about something other than 'that's cool' or 'I agree'.  Perhaps if the button wasn't there, I would spend the time to think up something nice to say but I suspect given nothing immediately came to mind, I mostly wouldn't bother.

The reasons for disliking a social-media-alike 'like' button are that it acts as a type of subscription thing, and that people apparently crave them to such as degree as to change their behaviour.  Neither of those things are true of the IP board Like this button as it's currently implemented, so I just use it as a pat on the back.

+1
Fail.

I understand that you disagree with me, but I'd also like to know what you actually think about this suggestion (Thanks TrashyMG and Levi!). I cannot look into your heads, so a simple "No." (or rather, a "Dislike-Like" type of comment) doesn't really tell me anything, not even whether I can take you seriously, or whether or not you're actually interested in lively discussions.

If you think about that, you will realize that it's actually the same type of problem which has led some a developer to be disappointed about feedback in recent times, the meaninglessness and obscurity of "Likes". Developers are not simply receiving less valuable feedback because there are fewer users (there are still enough people here). The last time that you've clicked "Like This" on a large-ish software announcement, what would you have done instead had there not been a "Like This" button? Maybe nothing, but chances are that some of the others, just anyone really, would instead have written a line or two. Why not just try out what will happen to the discussion culture of this place if we just ignore this forum's "Like" system for a week or two? Or at the very least, I would like to encourage everyone (that includes you, you individual over there!) to experiment with thinking twice before clicking "Like This", about whether you should rather /actually/ express your very personal thoughts, experiences, or concerns, by expressing them in a post. As far as many developers are concerned, just a handful of words (that's about 5!) can be much, much more meaningful feedback (no matter what "meaningful" means to each developer) than an equal number of "Likes".
Very true. If the " Like" button didn't exist or was no longer available on these boards and I actually did enjoy the comment then I would have said something along the lines of "I totally agree, because...".

So, I too wish there wasn't a " Like" button around.

+1
Fail.

On the other hand I would be less likely to give any feedback at all.

I use the like button when I agree with something but have nothing to add. (I can't stand +1 posts, which is what the like button was meant to replace) If I have nothing to add, there is really no point to me posting. If I do have something I'm reluctant to say, it won't be the existence of the like button that is holding me back.

- Neelix

+1
Fail.

My "Fail" post was a joke, and mostly directed at the other two.  I would probably post slightly more if there was no like button.  I already try to comment if I have something to say other than "Yay!" or "I agree/like".  This is especially true of my posts in software news posts and such.  I also go through the repo occasionally and leave comments and ratings.  I am neither for nor against removing the like button.  It prevents me from making stupid posts sometimes.

To continue with my joke, in a more serious way, a "shut up" button might also be useful.  (You should probbly stop reading this paragraph now.  There is little to be gained by looking at the rest.)  So, yes, instead taking away buttons that reduce the need to post I see value in adding more.  After a certain number of "shut up" clicks, or a certain percentage from readers of a thread, it would prevent a person from being able to post in a thread (perhaps for 24 hours or so).  I wouldn't like something like that, but, hey...  Some of the negatives (or positives in some sense) is that some people may then have temper tantrums all over the boards, or spamming/flaming other threads or making multiple new ones as they can't post in the one they got banned from.

The last time that I remember clicking "like" for something related to software was when ptitSeb posted the Half-Life pics.  I like that game, but no other info was given then, and I haven't bothered to see if there was something that would work for me to play that game (I see a thread related to it).

My post count probably shows that I don't know how to shut up.  The other posts that were in that quote responding to you were also made by those with relatively high post counts.  To change the overall feel here you might need us to post less.

So, I too wish there wasn't a " Like" button around.
Says the person with almost 10k posts.
How are the number of posts relevant?  I guess having a high post count gives a certain air of trust around a user, but trust is something gained over time anyway. 

-Glyph Reader
If you consider that Ziz was saying (as I understood it) that the general attitude here is a bit more negative than it used to be, post count may reflect who adds to that, as I just hinted at in my last paragraph.

I was going to dissect a couple more posts and jokes, but I am bored with that at the moment.

Guys...

You've turned this fair rant about the community on these boards into a war for/against the "like" button.

You've partially proved Ziz was right in his rant...

Back