The First Real 3DS Flashcart? The Crown 3DS

Why would it get locked? I thought talking about hacks was okay here... If it's not then feel free to lock it or delete it...

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently this flashcart will only be able to play 3DS roms, so no homebrew will come of this...
Homebrew are ROMs, just unsigned. There's no technical reason I can think of that this would be able to play ROMs and not homebrew (assuming someone can actually compile something for it).

Whilst I hope to see some interesting homebrew gubbins spring forth from this, I can't help but view it with some trepidation.

The UK is considered to be a "piracy market" on par with China and Russia, and curiously coinciding with this being mentioned in many press releases relating to other media, a lot of very good DS games over the last year or so were not released here at all. Whether that's cause and effect I'm not entirely sure, but I hope this doesn't have the same effect, since that sort of thing does eventually impact legitimate customers.

it very much affects legitimate customers. i for one wouldve never bought wii, 2 nds, a psp, a dreamcast, and a ps3 if homerew and piracy warent possible. might as well add a ps vita to that lineup as well, the week i see a hello world on there, is the day i place my order in

^ I meant, it affected me because games I wanted to buy weren't hitting my region at all... -_-

By the way, after checking with ED, I reinstated your link in the other thread, DM.

Homebrew are ROMs, just unsigned. There's no technical reason I can think of that this would be able to play ROMs and not homebrew (assuming someone can actually compile something for it).

You may be right. I wouldn't know because I'm not one of these techies that knows how to do all this stuff. I just saw it posted at GBATemp and am passing it along. However, I did read many users say as if it were a fact that this wouldn't be able to run homebrew, and that only retail roms would be possible because it's a 1:1. That's why I mentioned it but perhaps I misunderstood...

Yeah im not a fan of pirating games myself.Old emulated games are a different story though.I remember how it was always said that Piracy was what killed the amiga 500 and other variations.Those old ds flashcarts had more games on them than you could ever hope to play.I like to purchase a boxed games with artwork etc.Im not a fan or a true believer that digital downloads is the future for videogames.F to that.I want hold it in my hands.I prefer to buy tv show boxsets too rathere than wasting time downloading crap quality vids on the net.This flashcard is going to be bad for the 3ds,which id like to see being a successful games console.

Promising - I know for a fact I'll not be buying a 3DS until I can pirate the games.

D.

No homebrew = no use.

The idea of homebrew on the 3DS excites me. It's a nice little console with good controls and oodles of potential. I still haven't bought one, though.

Simply using it as a vessel to pirate games... not so much. I really don't want to see the 3DS software updates turned into the same endless war on pirates that SONY embarked upon and still does. It's frustrating getting forced updates which do little more than: "security fix for your own safety, honest, we promise!"

This sort of thing, this early, doesn't bode well for the 3DS health as a platform.

I had a NDS-Lite (still have) but I only ever actually bought one game for it - and that was about 20 quid! There's no way I'll ever see any games as worth that much. The NDS got slung in a drawer for a couple of years until I got an R4 and 3-in-1 with 2GB uSD card. Lameboy homebrew let me play GB on the NDS, so I had my (UK/US) collection of GB/GBC games, the 3-in-1 for my GBA game collection and then about 70 NDS ROM images with the WoodR4 firmware. Also a couple of homebrews, but they never really struck me as worth playing and quickly got removed.

The flashcart, for me at least, gave the NDSL a new lease of life. If there really is a flashcart for the 3DS then I might even consider buying one, if I can't actually steal one.

D.

Well, in fairness, didn't this sort of thing show up on the DS about this early, as well?
Did it? It thought it was quite a bit later. Then again, my NDS timeline is rather messed up :)

Now that I think about it, there were those PassMe devices which you utilized in combination with the GBA flashcards. Those existed quite early.

I certainly hope for the 3DS users that this will not result in a firmware race.

IMO they should stop selling physical media altogether it might help prevent piracy (as long as they do it better than apple and sony) stops people using the excuse "i don't wanna carry loads of carts around" .

IMO they should stop selling physical media altogether it might help prevent piracy (as long as they do it better than apple and sony) stops people using the excuse "i don't wanna carry loads of carts around" .

I just don't want to pay more than £5 for a game :)

D.

if you could truly get away with £5 for the game, the game development costs would not be much and may end up in a sub par game.

Back