the so-called "PSX" generation

thecheat

butts lol
Website
Visit site
i really hate it when people refer to others my age as the "playstation" generation.
I am 14, and i suppose that i am in that category, but i didnt have a psx until after the dreamcast came out. in fact, the first console i had was an NES, and yes i did play the "classics": mario, zelda, etc. and after that i juggled snes and genesis (the superior console by far) and played the classics on them, too. i played my fair share of dud games, and i didn't even have a GBC till like 5 months before the GBA release!

so please, dont generalise with things like that.

PS: skate or die 2: best NES game EVER! :lol:

I agree. I'm 16 and I hate it when people assume things about me because of my age. I too grew up on Nintendo and SNES and Genesis. I rarely played my Playstation when I got it. Just Medal of Honor and Tony Hawk.

Edit
No more lightswitch raves, the cheat.

Stupid labels. Labels are lame. But there are those of us that are reffered to as 'The Nintendo Generation', or 'The Super Nintendo Generation', or 'The Atari Generation' or 'The Pong Generation', or 'The Kick the Can Generation'. Woops, going too far back there.

Yeah, I hate labels. I often hear people my age referred to as Gen-Y. How lame, why label us? Might as well stamp our names on our foreheads while you're at it.

it's totally true though, there are distinctly different generations of gamers.
technology has progressed quite far in a relatively short period of time, allowing this..

for example, I was completely floored by how beautiful NES graphics looked after growing up with the likes of pacman and digdug on my atari 400 (and playing computer games that had 6 colors, if that). hell we didn't have battery backups or passwords or anything back then either, you just played the game until you absolutely couldn't stand it anymore. nowadays you hear magazine reviewers whining "there's no save feature in this game, what the hell!!" or even if there is a password save (rare as that may be) it is considered incomprehensible.

And you see it a lot on forums like this too, some people don't even want to touch an emulator if it won't support save states (GPengine anyone?) because they don't want to bother with playing the early levels over and over everytime..

we didn't have cheat books that released with the games, or gamesharks.. sure the game genie did finally come out after some years, which was kind of neat/novel, but more of a nuisance to use than anything. I for one say games are too damned easy these days, they walk you through everything and "respawn" you infinitely until you get to the netx checkpoint. Okay maybe we had that too, but only after you spent some hours clearing that asshole castlevania stage did you get to continue from the next level.

I'd love to hear someone say they've actually (recently) put in the time and effort to go beginning-to-end through a game like battletoads, blaster master, ninja gaiden -- hell even metroid or Legend of Zelda - LEGITIMATELY without using savestates. Instead using either the included passwords/battery backup or infinite continues.. the point being, playing the game as it was originally intended to be played.

ok, I am no better, I will use save states too because, well, you get spoiled I guess - it's hard to go back. Why bother, why leave your machine on overnight so you can sleep in between sessions? Besides, a system like GP32, you're probably not intending to play it for an extended period anyway (like if you were planted in front of the TV) - I imagine most of use use it for a quick fix during downtime (riding on bus, restroom, waiting for someone, etc) so yeah, savestates are ideal. There's I've just completely contradicted my own previous paragraph. But I still maintain that you'll never get the same thrill out of the game as if you didn't "cheat" your way through it - I kind of wasted Castlevania PCE this way, and it didn't feel as satisfying.

ok, so I kind of derailed your topic a little into a bitchy rant, but hell, that's what these forums are for I suppose, all in good fun.

anyway, it kind of brings up an interesting topic - is emulation ruining video games? playing them in ways they werent meant to be played? or otherwise, is there not a place for the classics in today's scene..

I must say, I don't like the PSX generation. They are too spoiled and grew up right away with games with 3d graphics with cinematics and fail to appreciate the finer, older games that don't have as good graphics as say Final Fantasy VII. Whenever I talk about snes games they always say that they suck because they look like shit, especially when I talk about rpgs (like they always compare FF IV and VI to VII). Anyways, I guess some people in the psx gen aren't like this, but everybody that I have encountered in this generation is.

I agree w/ you azure. But I think the playstation generation is like 13 year olds todya, not really the 16 year olds. But even the snes generation (around 16) fails to appreciate things like NES and older sega systems, not to mention the ataris. Personally, I fall in the NES generation, and atari stuff doesn't appeal to me, as it may to others, but as you said, 3d graphics aren't everything, and nowadays it seems to be just that.

it's kind of funny to even go back and look at the last generation (ps one) - the real-time stuff already looks real crappy compared to ps2 and xbox. everything's so aliased and choppy, that's why the current generation looks so good (and even so, not THAT much better)

in a few more years everything really will look signiifcantly better (like movie FX - 5, 10 years?) and then we'll look back at this stuff and think how prehistoric it looked.

it's like when you look at old silent pictures, except that technology didn't fly by so quick. Pretty amazing!

i miss those old 2d games... how amazing wuld it be if they did a direct 2d sequel to yoshi's island on gamecube? (yoshi's story wasn't a patch...)

my list :)

grandstand tv ping-pong game with paddle controllers (which still ROCKS!)
VIC-20 :) (the beginnings of llamasoft)
amstrad CPC464 (many many hours spent playing ELITE)
atari st (wow! floppy discs! and a mouse!)
super nintendo (mario kart, streetfighter 2... need i say more? oh, and zelda 3 :) )
gameboy (tetris, tetris, tetris... and a bit of supermarioland 1)
super nintendo lasted me YEARS... then...
N64 briefly
Playstation for the final fantasy games

P.C. --- EMULATION :D i finally get to play all those class SNES games that i missed

lovely gamecube :)

and now i've bought a cheapo dreamcast too...

Mash posted on Dec 8 2003 at 10:12 PM said:
I agree w/ you azure. But I think the playstation generation is like 13 year olds todya, not really the 16 year olds. But even the snes generation (around 16) fails to appreciate things like NES and older sega systems, not to mention the ataris. Personally, I fall in the NES generation, and atari stuff doesn't appeal to me, as it may to others, but as you said, 3d graphics aren't everything, and nowadays it seems to be just that.
Yeah, I was in around the end of the NES gen and about the begining of the SNES gen, but I still got a NES and appreciated the great games, like Ultima Exodus and Megaman 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
last time i used cheats was when i was like 8 or something. and i only use savestates in emulators if i have something important that interrupts my gameplay (and not for making the game easier by not starting from scratch everytime).

To the people of the PSX-generation, today it may feel like name calling. But when we are two generations down line you will propably feel proud when saying "Oh no, my gaming roots go way back, you see I am from the PSX-generation" ;)

It also seems to be custom for people to kind of look down on people of a later gaming generation. In the above posts the Nintendo generation (I don't think there is a distinct NES/SNES generation) looks down on the PSX generation, while the retro generation in there turn look down on the Nintendo generation. So PSX-generation, your turn will come. :D

Also it's hard to image that my 4 year old son (currently hooked on Super Smash Brothers Melee on the GameCube and Dogs Live on the PS2) will one day look back at the PS2 and GameCube the same way I look back at Pong :(

Why does this post suddenly makes me feel very old? :unsure:

grumble grumble... i remember when you could get computer games brand new for 1.99 by codemasters... a bag of chips cost 30p... grumble grumble... joysticks only had one button and you were lucky if you got autofire... microswitches? pure luxury... anyone remember half-pences?... mutter mumble... centipede and horace goes skiing was all the rage in those days oh yes and bbc2 showed the testcard 8 hours a day... internet? internet? back in those days you copied games using the double cassette deck on your hi-fi... if you were posh and even had a double cassette deck... and pr0n was something you bought from the fishmongers...tubble gum was the height of bubble-gum technology oh yes... gripe gripe....

HEE HEE :D :D :D

VirtuaLeech posted on Dec 9 2003 at 08:05 AM said:
Also it's hard to image that my 4 year old son (currently hooked on Super Smash Brothers Melee on the GameCube and Dogs Live on the PS2) will one day look back at the PS2 and GameCube the same way I look back at Pong :(
he will, you know... 'i remember when you played games using a joypad and you didn't clip your console on your belt as you do now... it plugged into your 't.v.' which was a bit like a p.c. but you only had 50 channels. it was like a screen on a big box that sat in the corner of your living room... games used shiny discs in those days... etc. etc.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't label people as being in such and such a game generation, but I don't deny such generations exist and a lot of the time, people seem to be transfixed on just 'their' generation, and that splits up further into fanboy bases. I mean there's the 3 or 4 8-bit generations (I personally always considered them to be basically pre-1980, 1980-1984, 1985-1989, and 1990-1994), the 16-bit generation, the 2 32-bit generations (pre-psx and post-psx), and the two current generations (dreamcast and the ps2, and the current current one). Then as I said, there's the fanboy basis. Nintendo vs Sega, Commodore 64 vs the Speccy, Commodore 64 vs Atari, Atari vs Coleco, etc. - some people just never get over the whole idea, even when they have the money to buy everything they never could (or just emulate it). I dunno...IMO, a good game is just that, and there's no bad systems. Except N-Gage.

Thank god I´m am sort of open minded about the whole gaming thing. In fact I like all systems. I was quite fortunate to have lot´s of access to different systems and I liked the idiosyncracies of all.

Remember color clashes on the spectrum? Well too bad, but that little machine was way faster with characterset-based graphics than the commodore64. The c64 had great sound because of the sid chip. The amstrad cpc had a very high resolution for it´s time. MSX had great sideway shooters from konami. Great sound with the special konami cartridges. The NES had just loads and loads of games. Great playability, I am very thankfull for the NES emulators out there on the Gp32 and the GBA. Atari ST and Amiga had a lot of similar games, I tended to lean towards the Amiga because of the better blitting smooth scrolling.

And so I rave on and on.

by the way loving the cast, the cube, the box and the station(s)....
Cheers, Mark

Christ - just be thankful your label's the PSX generation!

Me, I'm the ZX81 generation - black and white with no sound, you feeling that?

I just bought a dreamcast (£25 with a controller and 3 games! Bargain!) and my mates think that the dc is shit just because it didnt take off that well. If you look at the specs the dc is actually better than the PS2 in some respects. I cant wait for it to come!

Back