The Definitive Overclock Test

seems to change in diff emulators and games, and crashes even wen overlocked lower etc.
anyway to judge the optimum overclock?

Most reliable way is just through continued experience. Otherwise there are couple of toold in the archive that give you an approximate overclock value. You can usually take 10MHz of the value from those programs, and 25MHz if you use the RAMtimings tweak.

PokeParadox said:
Most reliable way is just through continued experience. Otherwise there are couple of toold in the archive that give you an approximate overclock value. You can usually take 10MHz of the value from those programs, and 25MHz if you use the RAMtimings tweak.
hi
on the subject of ram timings could someone explain this to me and how to do it or point me in the right direction.
many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Some emulators support CraigX's RAM Timings and some don't. Look in the options of emulator to turn them on (they are off by default).

It also depends if you are overclocking one core or both, and I believe (not sure) that the style of coding might have affect the maximum you can overclock from one emulator to another.

PokeParadox said:
there are couple of toold in the archive that give you an approximate overclock value. You can usually take 10MHz of the value from those programs, and 25MHz if you use the RAMtimings tweak.

The accuracy of these tools are somewhat suspect, since they generally don't exercise some parts of the GP2X that might actually cause a crash when they are used in an emulator. So if the overclocking test doesn't run the co-processor, and doesn't use the GP2X's scaling hardware, and doesn't try to do any sound, then you really only know how fast your ARM920 can handle.

mac_d4di said:
on the subject of ram timings could someone explain this to me and how to do it or point me in the right direction.

Well, you can try out this program which can fiddle with the RAM timings. Before you even try that though, look in the options menu of your emulators, as many of them already have this ability built in (older ones likes Hu6280 don't).

Like overclocking though, there's no guarantee that it'll work. Some systems can handle the faster speed, and others will simply crash. Give it a try. If it works, then enable them whenever you can. Works fine for me though.

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Back