The Coco Controller

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Saw this ICP type controller on Kickstarter today. It's called the Coco Controller. Even though it's only $42, not many have pledged for it yet, though it's only just started.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/games/the-coco-controller

Also, The BladePad Kickstarter has been Canceled (with 12 days remaining). See here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bladepad/bladepadthe-detachable-iphone-gamepad?ref=live

It never had a hope of getting funded, I believe they are looking for investors now.

These external controllers don't have a good track record on Kickstarter. The Game Gripper, which was one of the pioneers also had a dismal showing on KS back in it's day:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bossgizmo/new-bluetooth-game-gripper-a-game-pad-for-your-pho?ref=live

Interesting how it communicates through the audio jack. No need for battery, no charging, no extra weight. Nice!

I never noticed that, how does that work, I mean how does it get power and communication happening via the audio jack?

Maybe pressing the buttons makes a small electrical signal. iPhone earphones have physical buttons too.

Amazing when you think about it, especially considering there's an analogue stick that also needs to communicate through it. They are also thinking of adding a second analogue stick.

This looks an awful lot like some of the original iControlPad designs. I'm really struggling to fathom how and why these Kickstarter projects keep cropping up... the iControlPad is fairly well known, and isn't more than a google search away. Why do they all claim to be revolutionising mobile gaming when the iCP has been selling now for months!?

This particular controller is also beyond hideous, it's a visual crime toward humanity. Is this some sort of elaborate joke?

I think it's an ingeniously simple solution, I'm surprised nobody thought of it before. Screw Bluetooth, screw the dock connector. Nobody looked at the iPhone headset and thought, hmmm, buttons... Gamepad!

I think it's an ingeniously simple solution, I'm surprised nobody thought of it before. Screw Bluetooth, screw the dock connector. Nobody looked at the iPhone headset and thought, hmmm, buttons... Gamepad!

Actually, it's been thought of several times before and I believe a shipping product exists which uses the 3.5mm jack connector. It's in the form of a separate controller which does not clip to the phone, though.

Prior art: http://www.60beat.com/category_s/76.htm

There's nothing ingenious at all about the Coco. It's an awfully named, ugly, highly derivative, me-to knock-off of the iControlPad and 60beat. Didn't you wonder how they already had compatible games?

I agree with quartercast

As we have been discussing in several posts above, this is quite unique and ingenious in how it uses the audio jack for power and control communication. No battery, no licensing. Awesome.

Update: ok maybe not so unique but still ingenious

On a different note it really bugs me that Apple would charge licensing fees for anything that might plugin via the dock

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah, this has nothing to do with the Tandy Color Computer.

On a different note it really bugs me that Apple would charge licensing fees for anything that might plugin via the dock

Seems pretty reasonable to me, it's at least one way of raising the bar slightly above "piece of useless crap" so that manufacturers think twice before churning out an accessory.

Fairly redundant now, with low-power Bluetooth 4.0 seemingly being a good fit for controllers. A physical connection doesn't do much but limit the devices to which any controller solution can connect, making it somewhat less than futureproof.

The Bladepad uses Bluetooth 4.0 and the battery in it only lasts 4 - 5 hours. Then there's the hassle of pairing and Bluetooth disconnects . I much prefer a physical connection

Last edited by a moderator:
The coco controller looks awesome. I just pledged and I really hope this reaches it's funding goal. I love that it uses the headphone jack instead of bluetooth. I've been holding off on getting any of the other controllers because of that.

The real coco controler, prológica way:

cp400.jpg

The coco controller looks awesome. I just pledged and I really hope this reaches it's funding goal. I love that it uses the headphone jack instead of bluetooth. I've been holding off on getting any of the other controllers because of that.

Registered just to post that eh?

I wonder why they canned it.. just using KS to get notice for angels, probably..

.. but really, a thign like this has the problem iCP did at the beginning -- for somethign like this, they'd need all the game devs to write code for it, so it'd never happen (unless very VERY lucky.) The iCP got a lot of traction when it adopted using the iCade protocol for instance..

More is merrier though, but its a tough climb :/

jeff

This is there official statement

"Hey guys,

We just wanted to start by thanking you for all the early support and excitement for coco! Our Kickstarter campaign has been a great way to get feedback and gauge exactly what you all want to see in our product. We've learned a lot -- about the type of buttons people want, the desire for two analog sticks, a more complete selection of launch games -- the feedback has been phenomenal.

We know that coco can be improved a lot, and we want to give the community exactly what it's looking for. With the upcoming launch of the iPhone 5 and turnover in phone accessories around the end of the year, we have decided to delay our Kickstarter campaign to a point where we can refine coco and offer it at a time that makes sense for more people.

Over the next couple months, we're going to focus on better product design, supporting more phones, and getting more game developers signed up! We love coco and the support you've given us, and we're confident we can make coco even better. Though delaying the Kickstarter campaign, we still plan to bring you coco on the same schedule.

If you want to give us some more thoughts or just want to stay updated, email us at feedback@milkshakelabs.com or hit up this form:
http://milkshakelabs.wufoo.com/forms/coco-feedback/.

If you're a developer and want more information on developing for coco, hit up this one:
http://milkshakelabs.wufoo.com/forms/coco-sdk/.

We heard what you guys want, and we're going to deliver. See you soon
:)

Connor & Colton"

Back