The Back Order Blues

Spellcheck

Still Fresh
Alright, here's the deal. I ordered a GP2x from gamersection.ca a week ago. A couple days ago I received an email saying it was backordered, I replied asking when they expect to get any in stock, and here is the reply.

Email from GamerSection.ca said:
Hello,

We are awaiting on an ETA from the manufacturer, they might be
discontinuing this model for the Gp2x Value Pack firm 3.0 instead. Would you
like to wait for this model or prefer to upgrade to the value pack instead?

GamerSection Gaming Accessories
http://www.GamerSection.ca

So, I have the option of waiting or getting firmware 3.0. Now, my question is is there anything I should be wary of if I chose firmware 3.0? Should I get new firmware or wait?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have I missed something? What's so bad about the 3.0 fw?

As a complete GP2X newb i downgraded the firmware within 20 mins of opening the box. its not a problem at all.

Spellcheck posted on Mar 15 2007 at 08:00 PM said:
Alright, here's the deal. I ordered a GP2x from gamersection.ca a week ago. A couple days ago I received an email saying it was backordered, I replied asking when they expect to get any in stock, and here is the reply.

Email from GamerSection.ca said:
Hello,

We are awaiting on an ETA from the manufacturer, they might be
discontinuing this model for the Gp2x Value Pack firm 3.0 instead. Would you
like to wait for this model or prefer to upgrade to the value pack instead?

GamerSection Gaming Accessories
http://www.GamerSection.ca

So, I have the option of waiting or getting firmware 3.0. Now, my question is is there anything I should be wary of if I chose firmware 3.0? Should I get new firmware or wait?

firmware 3.0.0 takes a bit longer to boot and has a prettier skin, I think that's about it. :p

oh, and it's not officially released yet :p

Some people have had problems with FW3 not being able to detect SD cards - but that could just people people who've upgraded to it.
Downgrading the firmware (go to 2.0.0 then 2.1.0 then 2.1.1 in that order) is very simple - just be sure you have freshly charged rechargable batteries (regular ones dont last long and you dont want them running out in the middle of a firmware change).

I have had two issues after downgrading from 3.0.0 to 2.1.1, and that is missing skin settings and autorun doesn't work anymore. Dunno what's wrong with it, if it's because of the downgrade or something, but just so you know what might occur.

craigix posted on Mar 15 2007 at 11:52 PM said:
purple_goat posted on Mar 15 2007 at 09:13 PM said:
alot off progs/games don't work <_<

examples?

on my 3.0 I didn't have any probs, but I downgraded for the bootup speed boost anyway.

Best decision I ever made.

craigix posted on Mar 15 2007 at 07:52 PM said:
purple_goat posted on Mar 15 2007 at 09:13 PM said:
alot off progs/games don't work <_<

examples?

I personally have not upgraded from 2.0.0 (yet) but I have seen some issues with payback recently. And everyone that posts about that says that they have 3.0. That is simple correlation and causality though. People with 3.0 are newest to the scene and that might be the reason you see more "Please help" posts from them.

Zider said:
I have had two issues after downgrading from 3.0.0 to 2.1.1, and that is missing skin settings and autorun doesn't work anymore. Dunno what's wrong with it, if it's because of the downgrade or something, but just so you know what might occur.
This seems to be the exact same problem with mine as well. My system came with V. 3.0, then i downgraded to V. 2.0, and from there, 2.1.0, then 2.1.1. I have not had any problems and all my programs work fine but i seem to have the inability to auto-start and most of all, can't seem to find the skin setting...

I don't know if this is common or just a rare coincidence but, if someone can tell me the solution to this problem, it will make me one of the happiest gp2x user's in the world.

To change skins, try going to: Setting > System > scroll down to Skin/Theme

As for autoruns: Setting > System > scroll down to Auto Run, select ON

Alex. said:
To change skins, try going to: Setting > System > scroll down to Skin/Theme

As for autoruns: Setting > System > scroll down to Auto Run, select ON
Thats the problem with mine. I have auto-run enabled and it never seems to work, and as for the Skin, The Skin/Theme option is completely missing. So far, it seems to be an odd issue for many of the people here (who have greater knowledge about this then anyone i know) and so far, my best bet is probably to go back. I'm thinking that my only choice now is to either remain with what i got or, convert back to 3.0. :(

nemt said:
Why can't you just go from 3.0 to 2.1.1?
2.1.1 is based on 2.0, 3.0 has some strange filesystem changes which could cause problems.

Oh, that makes sense. I was just a little worried for a second because I upgraded from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1 without doing 2.1.0 first.

Hey all, i figured out what was going wrong with my upgrade. It's so simple i even needed to hit myself on the head. After i downgraded to 2.0, i installed the firmware for 2.1.0 and from there, updated it to 2.1.1. It did not occur to me to go to utilities after updating to 2.1.0 in order to finish patching it.

As for the auto-start issue, i found that i needed to to edit a couple of lines with nopepad and as of now, everything is working perfect. Furthermore, thank you for the replies

Back