Texture Scale And Speed

chris_c

I was glDraw(ing)Arrays(of)(GL_TRIANGLES on a thousand or so irregular triangles and struggling to get any decent speed at all, only just about 30+fps I was puzzled to say the least, I knew for a fact it could do better

Checked and double checked my object to data script and stride settings for DrawArrays etc... stumped!

Then by chance and I don't know why I decided to rescale the texture in blender - the simple texture was repeated several hundred times on each axis...

I rescaled the texture coordinates so there was more like 10 or 20 repeats per axis and the frame rate *more* than doubled

I was initially surprised that it has such an effect but after thinking about it I can see why, but for it to have *that* much impact does surprise me!

Now all I have to do is get my lazy arse together to turn my terrain tile triangle soups into tri-strips :D

Has anyone else discovered any similar properties of the SGX that you've actually discovered on the hardware (not just read theory about) ?

Any goofy shader trickery going on?

(I wonder offhand how much RAM we have on there for tri-lists and textures and such.. I'm currently rendering a gajillion tri's on my desktop side code, need to cut down :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Any goofy shader trickery going on?

(I wonder offhand how much RAM we have on there for tri-lists and textures and such.. I'm currently rendering a gajillion tri's on my desktop side code, need to cut down :)

jeff
I've consistently found significant slowness with shaders v's fixed pipeline gles1.1 in a number of different circumstances so I'm not using them...

arrays are in main memory so no worries there... there's no call lists in gles alas as for textures are a maximum of 2048x2048! believe it or not - but I can't see you getting many of those, texture compression is available though! - but it does open up the possibility of using just one texture for the majority of a levels models saving texture changes

I have found that gles is teaching me to be more disciplined as I've often just thrown any old junk at the gfx card and let it sort it out - given the power of modern gfx cards they do make you lazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back