Texture Packs for Mupen64? Ever?

frostedfires

I searched for the word texture but only found one topic created talking about textures for the N64 emulator. On the PC version of Mupen64, textures are possible to do and I was wondering if that was the same for the pandora. I found a youtube video that is an example of what textures look like in a game (Zelda OOT to be exact ;) ). Would look pretty amazing on the pandora if it were possible. If there currently isn't a feature for the Pandora yet, will there ever be?

Thanks for any answers in advance :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ei6fD799K9Y?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's possible to implement, But I have big doubts that the Pandora can play with high-rez textures at a playable rate.

But I'd love to be proved wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's possible to implement, But I have big doubts that the Pandora can play with high-rez textures at a playable rate.

But I'd love to be proved wrong.
Yeah I thought that too, but there are low-rez textures too. An example is the Wind Waker textures for Zelda OOT. That is lower rez then the original OOT graphics.

Going higher resolution with the textures won't necessarily kill your performance assuming they can fit in the Pandora's RAM in the first place and are properly mip-mapped and all that. Sure, they'll cache miss more, but SGX is good at hiding the latency to that if there are enough other things to do - and the N64 combiner pipeline is not always going to be super light on the fragment shaders.

N64 only had 4KB of texture memory, you can definitely believe they'd be drawing stuff in texture order where possible to reuse the stuff in the RAM. So you'd probably not even really exercise much worse cache behavior increasing the average size of textures by a factor of 4 or so. This is bearing in mind that the original N64 textures are already (usually) being converted to much bigger versions in the texture cache (Mupen64's, not the SGX's) to support the N64's paletted formats. So you're already wasting better color resolution that could at least be taken for free.

Should definitely try it. No idea how much the original glN64 codebase can support it, could be a lot of work.

Going higher resolution with the textures won't necessarily kill your performance assuming they can fit in the Pandora's RAM in the first place and are properly mip-mapped and all that. Sure, they'll cache miss more, but SGX is good at hiding the latency to that if there are enough other things to do - and the N64 combiner pipeline is not always going to be super light on the fragment shaders.

N64 only had 4KB of texture memory, you can definitely believe they'd be drawing stuff in texture order where possible to reuse the stuff in the RAM. So you'd probably not even really exercise much worse cache behavior increasing the average size of textures by a factor of 4 or so. This is bearing in mind that the original N64 textures are already (usually) being converted to much bigger versions in the texture cache (Mupen64's, not the SGX's) to support the N64's paletted formats. So you're already wasting better color resolution that could at least be taken for free.

Should definitely try it. No idea how much the original glN64 codebase can support it, could be a lot of work.
Yeah, seems like a lot of work but if it could work then that would look really cool on the pandora. I can't code at all otherwise I would definitely look into it but once more Pandora's start shipping then maybe a post of the emulator will accept texture packs :)

Support for different textures even; the Wind Waker texture pack is what I've been using very recently and it rocks!

Back