Tesla Model S Electric Car

Well welcome back Craig, good to hear from you again.

Yes I agree, In all this time the Model S is the first car that has made me sit up and say that EV's are about to make their move.  None of what has been made in the past has been anywhere near convincing until the 
Model S.  It's a sizeable car with good range that is being backed up with a supercharger network being built.

As someone who worked for Ford for 7 years , this is the first time I honestly can say something is stirring, I can sense the beginning of something with the Model S

EVs are obviously part of the future of transport but there is a disturbing campaign against them, in part funded by big oil, but in part fueled by general ignorance of the science behind them.

I don't really care, I enjoy driving my Leaf & using the free fast charging network we have here in the north east. I've genuinely driven almost 35,000miles for next to nothing in fuel costs and I love the elegance and efficiency of the way they work. It's like X86 vs. ARM.

If I can afford it I will certainly be getting a base ModelS when they are available in RHD (2014).
Can we pin this post to the front page or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
It could probably be pinned (or promoted to an article), but only if you provide a valid reason to do so ;)

It could probably be pinned (or promoted to an article), but only if you provide a valid reason to do so ;)
I feel that it nicely summarizes the current state of things (and mind) at OpenPandora Ltd, which should be of great interest to their creditors.

"In the second quarter of 2012 during the Finnish springtime, Finnish car magazine Tekniikan Maailma tested the Leaf in city driving at the temperature of −15 °C (5 °F), they achieved range of 59 kilometres (37 mi), this was with cabin and battery heaters on.[54]"

This is not to discount the advantages of electric vehicles, but rather to point out that their range is limited in comparison to fuel based cars, due to the extremely low energy density of even the best modern batteries.

I do like electric and have my own ebike, but I need more range from a car.

What does everyone think of the Tesla Model S EV?.

I think it's the first EV I have seen that looks like it will actually tick most of the boxes EV's have failed to in the past.

300 mile range

0-60 in 4.4 seconds

Big good looking car.

Can be charged at home or 1hr at a super charger for free.

I'm thinking its the beginning of something, a change is on the way (IMO)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1kCG-WqpVnI?feature=oembed
they're made in china, no thanks!!

"In the second quarter of 2012 during the Finnish springtime, Finnish car magazine Tekniikan Maailma tested the Leaf in city driving at the temperature of −15 °C (5 °F), they achieved range of 59 kilometres (37 mi), this was with cabin and battery heaters on.[54]"

This is not to discount the advantages of electric vehicles, but rather to point out that their range is limited in comparison to fuel based cars, due to the extremely low energy density of even the best modern batteries.

I do like electric and have my own ebike, but I need more range from a car.
The Leaf has a 24kWh battery. That is a bit small compared to the Model S 85kWh. With the Leaf efficiency, the Model S would go 208km in those conditions, and I'd guess it might be able to do better than the Leaf. It is more than I need in a day in my winterly driving. Most days I'd drive <60km (work<->home,shop). 200km would be a weekend joyride or a trip to relatives for me.
Even the Leaf range would be sufficient for my actual driving _needs_ locally, but ... nope, that 24kWh battery is not for me.

Install a stove in the boot and do away with the need for the electric heater.

Why not install a dreamliner 787 battery in your car? You could be warm for the rest of your life!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd clear all the snow & ice from the road as you go too.

Back