Terranigma-snes

DarkAeden

Ive just finished that beautiful game on my open snes 0.2 and i was really surprised by that game. "The earth has two soul...one dark and one bright..." thats how Terranigma begins. Its an action rpg (zelda style but for me much better!!!) in which you embodie Ark, a boy that became a warrior discovering a little creature in a closed box...so his mission is to let the earth to reborn! You will travel all around the world and the five continents searching for that, little treasures and mini missions (as every rpg game has). In that travel you will meet many and many famous characters of history (like Colombo, Bloody Mary...etc) and you will face many and many real historical events (like the discover of America, the invention of eletricity, of phone, and many many other of that).So you will also let the city grown (new york, chicago, paris...) Thats why its also that good! But after concluding the mission...you will understand what real kind of mission it was! The final is just so moving. I enjoied play it in italian (with an ips patch) and i was very pleased of it!!! Really fantastic. After Final fantasy 7, chrono trigger and chrono cross...it is the most beautiful action rpg of all.

Graphics:
9/10 Really good for a snes and with many moving things on the backgrounds!

Gameplay:
9/10 An action rpg like zelda...so no final fantasy like battle but action battle

Sound:
8/10 Beautiful sound track and effects

Plot:
10/10 Psycological introspection, historical events, suspense and the end make a very good plot

ON A GP32: gp32_console
9/10 i played it with 133 mhz, frame skip 2 and no sound and it works very well.
166 mhz with sound and it works too well.

Conclusion:
9/10 Very good action rpg to play on the move with the gp32.

DarkAeden :blink:

Thanks for the heads up, am downloading now :D

I checked the screenshots on my faithful rom site and this game looks impressive.

They rate it 84%.

Background: 32MBit (4MB Rom), 1996, by Enix.

Enix games in general seem to work ok with os9xgp including Illusion of Gaia for example. (Apart from transparencies).

So there is no transparency problems and such in this game?

well, I guess I try it out after I finished chrono trigger

nice review, dark. I have this little beauty on my smc ready for when I finish with SD Snatcher - looking forward to it

;)

I'm playing this right now, almost done. It plays well, and works fine on OS9x v0.2 200MHz mod. I play it at 172MHz, a good speed boost. At Frameskip 2 it will play seemingly at full speed without you noticing much.

But you probably want to know what's screwed up about it on OS9x. Ok, here it is. There are some areas which are suppose to have half-transparent "sand storms", but OS9x v0.2 ends up rendering it without transparency (as this version lacks proper support), but there's an easy fix, albiet rather annoying. When entering these zones, turn off BG 1. This will remove the sandstorms, and you can still see everything else as normal. Unfortunately, the Overworld and inside buildings use BG1 for, well, everything except sprites (which is a different layer of course). So you'll need to turn it back on. This gets super-annoying in Louran, but you'll get used to it. Additionally, at Frameskip 2 (the best setting in my opinion for 166MHz or a little higher), Ark (you) will "disappear" after being hit instead of "blinking". This is because the blinking is rapid and uses some blending techniques, which OS9x v0.2 CAN emulate, just not at FS2. And last but not least, you'll experience slowdowns when there's a lot of action on the screen.

Edit: The frameskip and speed settings are for with sound. Also do 11MHz with 16-bit quality, this will give a good speed with decent quality. Increasing the MHz can actually give more static.

Now, for the controls! I suggest using "Input 0/1" on OpenSNES9xGP so you can switch using the "Select" button.

Setup Input 0 like this:
Button A on GP32 = Button A on SNES (Attack)
Button B on GP32 = Button B on SNES (Jump)
Button L on GP32 = Button Y on SNES (Run)
Button R on GP32 = Button R on SNES (Block)
Button Start on GP32 = Button Select on SNES (In-Game Menu)

Setup Input 1 like this:
Button A on GP32 = Button A on SNES (Attack)
Button B on GP32 = Button X on SNES (Use Item)
Button L on GP32 = Button L on SNES (Block)
Button R on GP32 = Button R on SNES (Block)
Button Start on GP32 = Button Start on SNES (Pause)

You'll never really need to use Input 1 except when you need to use an item outside of the In-Game Menu (you can also use them from the In-Game Menu, which is better because the action is paused), or when you need to land the Airplane (need to hit L on SNES to descend). Using the in-game menu is much better to pause because there is no indication that you have "paused" using Start, even the music keeps playing (of course the action freezes though), so you can sometimes forget that you are paused.

Now for the most important part of this input setup - You need to have the Attack, Jump, and Dash buttons all available at any time. The Dash and Attack + Jump combination can be stronger then just Attack or Attack + Jump, and there are enemies which can only be defeated with a certain type of attack or are strong versus a certain attack, although mostly I just use Dash + Attack. Take the "Gardners" (bad translation, I think they're suppose to be "Guarders") which appear out of walls in the 5 Towers you have to face in the beginning of the game. They can ONLY be defeated by a Attack + Jump or Dash + Attack + Jump (or magic of course). They are IMMUNE to Attack or Dash + Attack.

Someone said they crashed at a boss battle, but I never noticed it. Sometimes it'll seem to wait for a very long time before it gives the "You defeated <insert boss here>" message, but it'll eventually get there ^_^ Also, sometimes the text will slow down to a crawl in dialogue, but I think that's a problem with the game engine and not Terranigma itself, since the exact same problem happens with Illusion of Gaia (prequel to Terranigma in the Soulblazer Trilogy) even on the original SNES cart (which I have). I think they might be trying to emulate people "talking really slowly" ^_^

This game's storyline is excellent, and there's a LOT you can do in this game! You can actually "build up" towns to better levels, granting you tons of additional dialogue, some extra items, and some new shops and fun things. You can even buy your own apartment and furnish it! Definately this is one of those games you really NEED to "talk to everyone", and explore every bit of land you get to in the Overworld (and "Underworld") since there are "Secret Areas" which grant items. There are two "Secret Areas" in the Underworld which even grant new continents to explore in the Overworld! But I'm trying not to spoil anything here :)

Well that's all for my addition to this review. Have fun!

generalnmx posted on Jul 29 2004 at 10:42 PM said:
Someone said they crashed at a boss battle, but I never noticed it. Sometimes it'll seem to wait for a very long time before it gives the "You defeated <insert boss here>" message, but it'll eventually get there ^_^ Also, sometimes the text will slow down to a crawl in dialogue, but I think that's a problem with the game engine and not Terranigma itself, since the exact same problem happens with Illusion of Gaia (prequel to Terranigma in the Soulblazer Trilogy) even on the original SNES cart (which I have). I think they might be trying to emulate people "talking really slowly" ^_^
I can assure you all that it also happens with the real cart. I have the game (german version) and sometimes it took the game 5 minuites to display the "boss defeated" message. Annoying, but unavoidable.

Also, the slowing of the text also happens on the cart. This is to dramatize the text, but well.... it's really just annoying, too ;) Illusion of Time/Gaia is the bigger offender in that case though.
(By the way, what the beep are Mu/Polynesia for? I'm not sure which was which :D I'm talking about the one that allows you to take a sunbath.)

I advise everyone to try this game. It is one of the best games you can get for the SNES, I assure you. Kept me going for ages, and you ALWAYS have this feeling "There's still something to do...."
However there is something I found unneccessary, at one point you fight a witch and, if you are not at a certain level, the damage proportions are WAY out of hand. You do like 1 to 4 and she can do about 50 if you are at a level that's too low. When you reach the right level, you suddenly can walk right through that fight, before it's nearly impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
(By the way, what the beep are Mu/Polynesia for? I'm not sure which was which I'm talking about the one that allows you to take a sunbath.)

Secret areas needed for the secret ending (yes, there are two endings). Mu also has a special weapon and another good item, Polynesia is just cool.

I advise everyone to try this game. It is one of the best games you can get for the SNES, I assure you. Kept me going for ages, and you ALWAYS have this feeling "There's still something to do...."

Yes, there ARE two endings.

However there is something I found unneccessary, at one point you fight a witch and, if you are not at a certain level, the damage proportions are WAY out of hand. You do like 1 to 4 and she can do about 50 if you are at a level that's too low. When you reach the right level, you suddenly can walk right through that fight, before it's nearly impossible.

There's a very, very easy way to defeat that boss. I won't spoil it by telling everyone, you can PM me if you really want to know. I beat that boss at level 21 or 20 I believe using this method. Once again, it's all about strategy ;)

yes!Youre speaking of Bloody Mary!Right? You had to be at level 20 or 21 minimum!

allright, I was the one who had problems with Terranigma freezing. That was probably because Im using the German version. But there´s a workaround: If Terranigma (just the game, not the emu) freezes on a red screen before fighting against those starfishes, use os9xGP 0.1.

generalnmx posted on Aug 1 2004 at 02:01 AM said:
(By the way, what the beep are Mu/Polynesia for? I'm not sure which was which I'm talking about the one that allows you to take a sunbath.)

Secret areas needed for the secret ending (yes, there are two endings). Mu also has a special weapon and another good item, Polynesia is just cool.

Yes, there ARE two endings.

There's a very, very easy way to defeat that boss. I won't spoil it by telling everyone, you can PM me if you really want to know. I beat that boss at level 21 or 20 I believe using this method. Once again, it's all about strategy ;)
I know there are two endings, but I never got the "regular" one, only the "secret" one :lol:
And it was Polynesia I was thinking about. That one always did and still does give me the feeling "there is something to do here, I just have to figure out what...."

I don't know how the boss is called in english, might be bloody mary. In German she is called "Hadeshexe" (Hades Witch) and you need I think level 25. I think I know the tactic you talk about, generalnmx, but if you could PM me anyway and tell me - maybe there's something I don't know ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back